Why go full custom when you can get custom tips like um56? (curiosity thread)
Apr 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

twylight

500+ Head-Fier
I have been going back and forth on what top end iem to get.  I know the nozzle holes might be different, but why not get the top non custom JH audio (or other brand) and just stick my um56 on it?

Some ideas I thought of:

1. Transference of sound waves to more of the ear might make true custom > um56
2. The non custom models arent as high end as the true custom models
3. The nozzle holes dont fit right
4. Longer stem might have a better seal?
5. Better resale on non customs I assume

Thanks - just looking for info.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 13
Customs simply sound better and provide better isolation. The sound is also specifically tuned to your ears unlike universals. Plus you can customize the looks of them!
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 13
Tips are just one more thing to get lost or broken.  Plus theres always the chance of them coming off of the main headphones and getting stuck in ear!

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
I have been going back and forth on what top end iem to get.  I know the nozzle holes might be different, but why not get the top non custom JH audio (or other brand) and just stick my um56 on it?

Some ideas I thought of:

1. Transference of sound waves to more of the ear might make true custom > um56
2. The non custom models arent as high end as the true custom models
3. The nozzle holes dont fit right
4. Longer stem might have a better seal?
5. Better resale on non customs I assume

Thanks - just looking for info.

1. ?
2. I would agree, at least in my experience.  I have custom tips for my SM3, and while they increase the spaciousness of the sound, they aren't a big step up for me.  Another person I know with a W4 says they make a decent amount of difference, putting the W4 almost on par with the JH5.
3. Depends on the IEM paired with
4. I think my custom tips are about the same as my other customs from a seal standpoint.
5. Very true, you loose between 40% and up depending on the popularity of the custom as well as the original cost

As mentioned, a custom is tuned to the nozzle length while custom sleeves will usually extend the nozzle length more than any ear tips.  And in general, there is more space in a custom IEM to place the drivers resulting in less design sacrifices.  And the other comment about the sound tubes...it would seem to be easier to tune individual sound tubes, but a universal IEM should have everything tuned for their particular nozzle.

All I know is that for my ears, every custom I have heard sounds much better than any universal I have heard!  Here is my customs resource thread, if you haven't seen it.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Customs simply sound better and provide better isolation. The sound is also specifically tuned to your ears unlike universals. Plus you can customize the looks of them!
biggrin.gif

Thanks but Im talking about custom tips - isolation is perfect with them and they are a massive improvement over universal ear pieces

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
With customs, you have 2 or 3 bore system, so channels get mixed much closer to your ear.

With customs, drivers are placed in ideal position for your ear.

I like this - didnt know about the bores - the um56 is single bore

Not sure how the position would matter as much, you can angle the drivers in any direction with a um56, but you have to check it after they have been in the case sometimes

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 13
I really enjoyed my UM-56 tips when I had the Westone 3.  I feel confident in saying that they isolate better than acrylic tip customs; my UM56 were wider and went deeper than my JH16 tips.

I feel like custom tips are a great solution if you really like your universal IEM and don't plan to get customs anytime soon, since custom tips improved the Westone 3 in many ways for me, in particular clarity, bass quality, and isolation.  The overall technical ability of a universal+custom tips won't quite reach that of a full custom, but for the price it's very good.

Some would argue that custom tips change the intended sound of IEMs, since they can increase the distance between the end of the IEM canal and the end of the tip.  But if the length of the custom tip is right, it should be roughly the same distance as a triple-flange or Comply tip.  Based on my limited experience with reshelling a TF10, I would definitely choose a custom tip before getting a universal reshelled.

Apr 12, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 13
Twag definitely changes the JH5.  Can hear it in 2 seconds.  Definitely lifts the treble but I found it a bit siblant/harsh but I did not let the cable burn in enough most likely.

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Twag definitely changes the JH5.  Can hear it in 2 seconds.  Definitely lifts the treble but I found it a bit siblant/harsh but I did not let the cable burn in enough most likely.

I trust you've done a DBT to confirm this claim? 

Spyro, after your comments in the JH13pro thread, and then in the W4 thread, and now this, you're officially on my "list". 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back