Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600
Apr 12, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #196 of 242
Seems I'm not a fathead after all as I do not need to extend them at all. Just barely made the grade :grinning:. The headband sits further back on my head than any other pair I've owned and I've had a few. This is actually a bonus as I was getting an obvious indentation in my hair, even though it's a # 2 cut. Tried them back to front, with cables exchanged and they were fine, I **** you not.

Bass quality is good, without the power of the smaller SMS. Pretty sure the treble is a bit off, but part of the issue is they're very revealing, which doesn't flatter poor recordings.

Comfort is the biggest strength of these cans. I like a good clamp, but for longer sessions a big circumaural with soft memory foam pads and light clamp can't be beat. The photo shows my reading glasses above the earcup, however I have found I can slip them on over my glasses with zero discomfort. Some microphonics I'm noticing with nothing playing.

Got my eye on the Audioquest Nighthawk next, but from what I've read they wish they had a cable of the quality of this Denon one.

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #198 of 242
That's what happens when decide to design your headphone model after, "the in thing", I guess?

Design, much like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Denon had a tough act to follow after they split with Fostex, and many would say they came up short in some respects, commercial success being one. As designs go, I love the look of the smaller MM400 with the wood incorporated tastefully.

Nevertheless I'm enjoying the the D600. Hopefully the treble will lose some of the etched edginess it gets on some tracks. If so it will be golden.

Good to have a different option again after purging my collection over the summer.

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #199 of 242
The design of the lighter than it looks D600 has grown on me, however I will admit first impressions were poor. For home use only comfort and sound matter. Probably ok for walking the dog, albeit a touch thinner and underdone straight from my Xperia Z Ultra. Boosting the bass helped but nothing can help you disguise their massive size if you're self conscious. The Sony XB900 was big, but the headband hugged the head rather rhan sticking way out like the Denon. Mind the gap as Val said. Not so bad around the neck relatively speaking.

May 24, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #200 of 242
Didnt want to start a new review thread so i'll put my thoughts on these here. I picked these up for super cheap ($100 from craigslist) taking a chance because in the past I was impressed with the old denon line (2000, 5000, 7000). I'm running these through an m^3 w/ opa637 (mellow/smooth sound profile).

Some people say these are bad because of the 'colored' sound. Well for me this was perfect and exactly what I was looking for to compliment my more 'reference' main headphones hd650s.  If you like aggressive music these cans are great, but I do still consider the hd650s great for delicate music. The V shaped (bass and treble overpowering mid) sound brings certain generas alive. On a more balanced headphone (more prevalent mids) aggressive music gets exhausting and overwhelming either instantly or very quickly, but with these I can listen for hours. Great for general use too- movies and gaming sounded great.

They are very comfortable with super soft leather cups, although they do get hot since its leather. The cord is very high quality but also very heavy. Overall the cans are just fun and at the prices i'm seeing them for these days (sub $200) i'd say they are hard to beat in that range assuming they fit your music taste. Maybe its because my music tastes have shifted but I don't seem to be finding any urge to switch back to my hd650s over the last couple days and if that urge persists I may even sell em off :X

May 24, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #201 of 242
Some people say these are bad because of the 'colored' sound. Well for me this was perfect and exactly what I was looking for to compliment my more 'reference' main headphones hd650s.  If you like aggressive music these cans are great, but I do still consider the hd650s great for delicate music.

Great for general use too- movies and gaming sounded great.

They are very comfortable with super soft leather cups, although they do get hot since its leather. The cord is very high quality but also very heavy. Overall the cans are just fun and at the prices i'm seeing them for these days (sub $200) i'd say they are hard to beat in that range assuming they fit your music taste. Maybe its because my music tastes have shifted but I don't seem to be finding any urge to switch back to my hd650s over the last couple days and if that urge persists I may even sell em off :X

Sad that the audiophile community considers accuracy over enjoyment. They definitely missed a trick with these as they are highly enjoyable. I too use these for movies & gaming, makes you feel you are truly part of the action & scene especially as mainline cinema sound systems these days sound muted & gutless.
For music listening, I still use my Sennheiser HD700 as the sound is clearer so don't be so quick to get rid of yours.

May 24, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #202 of 242
  Didnt want to start a new review thread so i'll put my thoughts on these here. I picked these up for super cheap ($100 from craigslist) taking a chance because in the past I was impressed with the old denon line (2000, 5000, 7000). I'm running these through an m^3 w/ opa637 (mellow/smooth sound profile).

Some people say these are bad because of the 'colored' sound. Well for me this was perfect and exactly what I was looking for to compliment my more 'reference' main headphones hd650s.  If you like aggressive music these cans are great, but I do still consider the hd650s great for delicate music. The V shaped (bass and treble overpowering mid) sound brings certain generas alive. On a more balanced headphone (more prevalent mids) aggressive music gets exhausting and overwhelming either instantly or very quickly, but with these I can listen for hours. Great for general use too- movies and gaming sounded great.

For $100 they're a steal. lf only for having the nice unboxing experience (well... almost). 

To me, they're the closest to a 'surround sound system' (when it comes to watch movies)  that l have ever heard. 

l wouldn't chose them to be my one and only HP but, having one or two more, they're a great complement (even as 'colored' as they are). 

Enjoy them!

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #203 of 242
For $100 they're a steal. lf only for having the nice unboxing experience (well... almost). 

To me, they're the closest to a 'surround sound system' (when it comes to watch movies)  that l have ever heard. 

l wouldn't chose them to be my one and only HP but, having one or two more, they're a great complement (even as 'colored' as they are). 

Enjoy them!

So would you recommend the denon for watching movies / blu rays? Right now I'm using the Philips fidelio X1 for movies but I need a closed headphone...originally I wanted the d2000 but it's really hard to find a pair.

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #204 of 242
So would you recommend the denon for watching movies / blu rays? Right now I'm using the Philips fidelio X1 for movies but I need a closed headphone...originally I wanted the d2000 but it's really hard to find a pair.

(I'm on mobile phone so excuse me if I have typos).

I also have the X1s. They were my 'go-to' HPs for movies until l realised l preferred the AH-D600s. I mainly noticed that the Denons offer a closer to a subwoofer experience; and how certain 'movie sounds' are better reproduced by them. I started to think Denon may have tune this HPs more for movies than for music...

Examples? In the last Terminator movie, at the beginning, there's a scene where the rebels drive a truck loaded with explosives to the main gate of a Terminator compound. Suddenly, the explosives are detonated. With the Denons, you get 'a hell of an explosion'; with my other HPs you just get a normal one.

If memory serves, in the same movie, there's a scene where "J.Konnor" suffers a helicopter crash after having escaped from an underground base (l think a terrible storm takes the helo down). Well, during the crash, while the helo is spinning and until it finally comes to a stop, there're a lot of 'crispy sounds' ('theatre like', if you will) that the Denons perfectly capture, unlike other HPs l tried (mainly X1 and JVC-DX1000).

I hope that helped!

(Hate mobile phone typing! I miss my PC so bad! :'-(

Jun 20, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #205 of 242
Awesome that's really helpful especially because you also know the fidelio x1. I really like the x1 but i had the chance to use the Sony Mdr 1A for movies and I enjoyed them more. It was more theater like as you said.
And the Denon seems to be even better for this theater like headphone experience:)
Did you also have the chance to try the older Denon D2000 or even the Sony 1A?

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #206 of 242

Many Head-Fiers rave about the Nighthawk, and it suits my slightly darker preferences, however I took the Denons out to walk my girlfriend's dog yesterday. Usually I double stack my Sony Xperia Z Ultra with an Onkyo HA-200 dac/amp and use the 'hawks, but I'd left them at home. Straight from my phone I was shocked at how good the super comfy Denons were. Thankfully my head is just big enough ; ). I've always considered amplification to be crucial, and looked down in disdain at claims no amplification was required for this or that pair of cans. Nevertheless the AH-D600s were excellent straight out of my phone playing Tidal HiFi. Usually the bass suffers with weak amplification, but the Denons are super efficient and sensitive. Still a couple of clicks short of my Sol HDs, but those are ridiculously sensitive, not to mention bass cannons. Sure the solid bass and extended treble of the Denons overshadows the mids a touch, but I've never heard such a large soundstage or better imaging from a closed can. The cables put the Audioquest's to shame, but they are a bit ugly for portable use and mainstream success in my view. Treble may be a bit spiky at higher SPLs, even for these battered old earholes. Seems Denon have gone back to wood for the new models.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #207 of 242
Awesome that's really helpful especially because you also know the fidelio x1. I really like the x1 but i had the chance to use the Sony Mdr 1A for movies and I enjoyed them more. It was more theater like as you said.
And the Denon seems to be even better for this theater like headphone experience:)
Did you also have the chance to try the older Denon D2000 or even the Sony 1A?

No, sorry, l didn't try those HPs (l only 'auditioned' the D2k for a short while -music only).

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #208 of 242
(I'm on mobile phone so excuse me if I have typos).

I also have the X1s. They were my 'go-to' HPs for movies until l realised l preferred the AH-D600s. I mainly noticed that the Denons offer a closer to a subwoofer experience; and how certain 'movie sounds' are better reproduced by them. I started to think Denon may have tune this HPs more for movies than for music...

Examples? In the last Terminator movie, at the beginning, there's a scene where the rebels drive a truck loaded with explosives to the main gate of a Terminator compound. Suddenly, the explosives are detonated. With the Denons, you get 'a hell of an explosion'; with my other HPs you just get a normal one.

If memory serves, in the same movie, there's a scene where "J.Konnor" suffers a helicopter crash after having escaped from an underground base (l think a terrible storm takes the helo down). Well, during the crash, while the helo is spinning and until it finally comes to a stop, there're a lot of 'crispy sounds' ('theatre like', if you will) that the Denons perfectly capture, unlike other HPs l tried (mainly X1 and JVC-DX1000).

I hope that helped!

(Hate mobile phone typing! I miss my PC so bad! :'-(

+1

When watching "Apollo 13", the DENONs make it sound like you are on the Saturn V!!

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #210 of 242
Anyone using a Schiit Asgard 2 with the Denon D600's?  I just got mine in today. I have my windows and tidal volume set to 100%, but if I take the amp above 25% on high gain or 50% on low gain, I hear some distortion in the background at all times, wondering if that's normal?  I can't hear it until I hit those volume points, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back