Why doesn't any company make bluetooth cables for Shure IEM
Jun 20, 2014 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

crwoo

Head-Fier
I know this sounds crazy, but wouldnt it be cool to have a bluetooth cable for earphones such as the SE846 or the SE535? I know I would love to have one for whenever I dont want a cord hanging from my brain. 

Jun 20, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 26
Well you'd need an earpiece-to-earpiece cable anyway, to hold the bluetooth module and onboard DAC, so you'd still have a cord, albeit a much smaller one.

In addition, I don't think that a tiny onboard DAC over Bluetooth could really do justice to TOTL earphones like the SE846. I'll admit that I haven't tried either, but miniaturization always leads to performance decreases, so I can't see it allowing them to really shine tbh.

Jun 20, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 26
I imagine it would have a bump for the bluetooth board. I tried Sony 1RBT MK2 and those sounded better via bluetooth than with the cable. reason being it probably has a better sound card than my iPhone. I bought them for mobile and they weren't mobile so I returned them...thats why I didnt try them with a good DAC.

I'm hoping someone will reply with "there is a product like that already, Here is link... :p

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 26
Westone announced a Bluetooth MMCX cable at CES 2016. The only information I can find is this Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOPF-Fid2vM

However, I believe Westone use a slightly shorter connector for their cables, which mean they aren't compatible with other MMCX-based brands like Shure, UE, Aurisonics, etc.

I also found this listing on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gotor%C2%AE-headphone-cable-Se535-Se215/dp/B01B2L4CHW

Seems to be a similar product, although I couldn't find anything on the manufacturer, Gotor.

Doesn't seem to be much interest in this in general. Maybe the Bluetooth aspect negates the point of having a high-end IEM?

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 26
zombie thread!

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 26
Earphone Solutions sent out an email advertising a pre-order for the Westone bluetooth cable.  Going to their site, you see that Shure is supported:

"Compatible with Westone W10, W20, W30, W40, W50, W60, UM PRO 10, 20, 30, 50 and ALPHA Adventure.
Also compatible with Shure SE215, SE315, SE425, SE535 and SE846.
Microphone built-in to take phone calls on iPhone, Android or any other phones with Bluetooth capability."

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #13 of 26
I picked-up the Westone BT cable this past Wednesday @ BHPhotoVideo (in NYC).

Tried it out with the SONY ZX2 native BT and my SE846's, and was very impressed. No hiss. Was also able to control the volume from either the ZX2 or the cable. With some BT devices (speakers, other SONY BT receiving modules), I have found the volume cannot be controlled by the ZX2.

The mmcx connection is fine. Not quite the same click as my other wired cables (due to the length of the Westone connector being slightly shorter), but works fine all the same.

I'm currently charging my Universal APTX BT Transmitter I once got from Jaybird (which are still available from Soundmatters https://soundmatters.com/product/aptx-bluetooth-adapter-universal/ no longer available from Jaybird) and will advise the results.

Not practical for me while (frequently) on planes, but still awesome otherwise.

Edit:
Wow, just now listening with APTX, awesome. The highs are so much more present, and still no hiss. Although the universal transmitter is external, it does have the advantage of being self-powered.

"We have a winner."

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #14 of 26
Any BT recommendations for my UE 18 Pro (2015 model)? :) I'm also not sure for which connector I need to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back