Why does this forum have a search function..?
Dec 3, 2008 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

bobglaub

100+ Head-Fier
Why does Head-Fi even have a search function? I don't think any new member ever uses it. Okay, obviously I'm being a bit harsh..some people use it. I used it..and bought headphones, an amp and a DAC before I ever had one post. It just seems silly to me for so many people to post "What should I buy?!" threads when there is so much information already there. You just have to look for it a bit.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 32
I use it all the time.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 32
As I think most people do..but there is a large group of people who join and just start posting "Tell me what to BUY!" threads..that's all I was talking about.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 32
Well, people like to think they (and by extension their problems) are unique. It is also not always clear what to look for. If you are a new member and you're in the market for mid-high end headphones you won't start searching for HD650 for example, simply because first you need to know that the HD650 (just an example) fits the bill. Therefore, they will start threads hoping to get some suggestions for their circumstances. Hopefully, after those suggestions they will start using the search function to find out more about the suggested items.

P.S. 1337 post count
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 32
Search is handy - I use it regularly.

As for the new members, my philosophy is that they should be indulged to an extent. For one, the amount of information and jargon here is huge. Even if you search, you're not sure if what you've found is what you're looking for.

The other reason is to get people into the hobby. If you get slapped down in your few first posts, you might not get into it. But more people into headphones means more gear will be introduced and prices will come down. Having a bigger, more active audience is good for everyone.

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 32
Where is it? How do I use it? Haven't we done this thread before?

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is it? How do I use it? Haven't we done this thread before?

See, that's what I'm talking about. If you used the search function you would have known the answer to your question. Shhhhhhheeeeess.... Get a clue!

tongue.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 32
When I first joined Head-Fi, I admit that searching through this forum is really crazy. Sometimes when you search for something, you'll only get a few relevant threads per search page since your search item may be simply mentioned and not talked about. And then within those relevant threads there may be MANY pages of stuff to go through. Also, when you first join, you don't know all of the audio lingo and you can't completely comprehend everything you read at first. I know I didn't. I find some things more clear when I read it a second time once I know a little more about what I'm actually looking for.

It is hard and it takes some time to actually get the hang of Head-Fi's forum, but it's definitely manageable. I would imagine less-tech savvy people to have even more trouble searching through the forums.

I mean, I can't blame them.

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Why does Head-Fi even have a search function?

facepalmsmiley1ti3.gif

Your painfully stupid question (it's true- they do exist) and the irony of your post deserves not to be taken serious.

I will post a picture of this cute bunny instead.
152685082f2b873405dbcopms2.jpg

Dec 3, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #12 of 32
I think sometimes its very difficult to search for a particular piece of equipment. I remember trying to search Ultraonse Proline 550, and I couldn't find much at all.

Mind you, searching via google gives way better results.

Dec 3, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #15 of 32
aaron313, That was unnecessary info: now there are going to be even more stalkers.

But anyway, I think the main reason most people just post rather than search is because they want to get quick feedback about items right before pulling the trigger on them. With head-fi's reputation around the place, its not surprising that it attracts many junior audiophiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back