Why does this forum have a search function..?
Dec 3, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #16 of 32
There needs to be a glossary for people new to higher perfoming audio. Many of the threads toss around TLAs (three letter acronyms) as though they are everyday commonly used words:

DAC
ADC
HPA
NFB
PCB
BJT
FET
XLR
OFC

^ just a few of them.

There are also plenty of other words only technical people will know:

Bias
Gain
Cutoff
Bridge(d)
Balanced

^just a few of them as well.

I just feel it's a bit uncalled for when we jump on a person new to the hi-fi world. "You don't know what a balanced connection is? What are you? Some kind of moron?" <-----we may not be that rude, but I've seen cases where it comes pretty damn close.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #18 of 32
It's something that newcomers get directed to immediately after they've asked their first question..

Or for other members who can actually be bothered to use it..

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobglaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does Head-Fi even have a search function? I don't think any new member ever uses it. Okay, obviously I'm being a bit harsh..some people use it. I used it..and bought headphones, an amp and a DAC before I ever had one post. It just seems silly to me for so many people to post "What should I buy?!" threads when there is so much information already there. You just have to look for it a bit.

What the hell do you search for the first day? "The Best Headphones"?
rolleyes.gif
We are all here to help each other. Its more than simply getting what you want, if the exchange of your knowledge gained from the use of this site bothers you then why come?

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #20 of 32
I like searching. When I get excited I do a little search and when I get really horny I start a thread.

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #21 of 32
VBulletin searching secret that everyone should know: Search in thread titles only. Saves a lot of hassle.

Beyond that, people use acronyms so often on here that searching is near impossible. Try searching for anything that may or may not have a dash in the model name for example. Useless. Try searching for the Zero DAC - the word "Zero" is now rejected as a search term. Useless. Google searches far better, you just tack on site:.head-fi.org. Actually, if you search for anything to do with headphones, head-fi comes up repeatedly in the top ten most of the time anyway.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #22 of 32
You're so wrong!
angry_face.gif

I use it all the time, and so do a lot of others around here. This one is my clear favorite: New Posts

Some of the new members seem to forget that we have one though, and post the 1471 "what is the BEST iPod headphone for $50" thread...

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is it? How do I use it? Haven't we done this thread before?

Many times. I think its hilarious that a new member had to create a new thread to complain about this when all he had to do was run a search to see how often we've discussed this to death.

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobglaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does Head-Fi even have a search function? I don't think any new member ever uses it. Okay, obviously I'm being a bit harsh..some people use it. I used it..and bought headphones, an amp and a DAC before I ever had one post. It just seems silly to me for so many people to post "What should I buy?!" threads when there is so much information already there. You just have to look for it a bit.

Bleh... next time use the search function, there are quite a few threads like this already
smily_headphones1.gif

... could somebody else say that one more time?
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #26 of 32
The search function is crucial. Searching for...
* new threads since last visit.
* information about a specific product.
* users/members.
* user/member feedback threads.
* lots more.

Ok, we could use Google search. But its quite crippled compared to the built in one.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #27 of 32
but it still doesn't help me find my glasses... DAMN!

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #28 of 32
I've never been able to find the search function. I couldn't find the search function in order to be able to search to find the search function for searching and finding things. It's a shame.

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #30 of 32
Didn't ClieOS make a firefox add-on for head-fi search?
That should be a mandate install for all new members.

but... they're just going to post away regardless of clear instructions not to do so.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back