Why does SinglePower increase their price so often?
May 20, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #61 of 102
Maybe so.
But at the same time, I can not think of anyone taking so much attacks/beating as Single Power has :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2. I sometimes feel as though Single Power gets somewhat of a red carpet treatment around here, and anything but jubilant praise for their products gets treated like blasphemy.

May 20, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #62 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right. In the world of custom-built acoustic guitars, there were a couple of boutique builders who held on to their notions of fair pricing until they were back ordered so far that people at the front of their list were taking delivery on their instruments and immediately turning around and selling them for more than the builder's current price. When that happens, or even looks like it is approaching, the market is telling you that your product will bear a higher price. And what the market will bear is what matters in a capitalist economy.

Tim

Precisely!

And... after all... "that's a good thing!" History has proven... it's the only one that works... if you want quality products, at good prices.

The prices of the Singlepowers are telling us (or someone out there) - there's a market opportunity, for a competitive product - perhaps that's Woo Audio... or... perhaps even someone else.

Prices can only go higher... if... there's a limited supply, which is less than the demand for a particular item. You know... like oil and gasoline. Unfortunately... in the later instance... we have a Congress... that refuses to permit us to produce greater supplies of oil and gasoline, or even of supplemental energy supplies (natural gas, and nuclear power).

And... unfortunately... in the former instance... there aren't enough alternatives to Singlepower, who want to offer a competitive product.

May 20, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #63 of 102
I was under the impression that Woo, RSA, Headamp, etc were serious competitors to SP. Woo is highly regarded in these forums (as are the others), but still, the turn-around on a Woo amp is (relatively) short, (same for RSA: about 10 days on a Raptor), but SP is quite a while. That could be due to a number of reasons, but likely to more demand for SP than Woo or RSA. I've owned an SP MPX3 (although never a Woo or RSA) and I admit it was good, but not so ungodly good that people should flock to them in droves over other brands... it's like an SP phenomenon, and I don't get it. Who knows maybe after I hear some Woos (I'm going to visit their place in about a week) I'll realize the superiority of SP, somehow I doubt it though.

May 20, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #64 of 102
It would be quite something, if people flocked to Singlepower in drones as opposed to droves.

As a former owner of a Woo3, I can imagine Singlepowers being better, even though I've never had one............
wink.gif
cool.gif

May 20, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #65 of 102
HeadAmp doesn't make tubed dynamic headphones, but their quality (and cost) is comparable to SinglePower. But none of those amps is particularly inexpensive.

May 21, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #66 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was under the impression that Woo, RSA, Headamp, etc were serious competitors to SP. Woo is highly regarded in these forums (as are the others), but still, the turn-around on a Woo amp is (relatively) short, (same for RSA: about 10 days on a Raptor), but SP is quite a while. That could be due to a number of reasons, but likely to more demand for SP than Woo or RSA. I've owned an SP MPX3 (although never a Woo or RSA) and I admit it was good, but not so ungodly good that people should flock to them in droves over other brands... it's like an SP phenomenon, and I don't get it. Who knows maybe after I hear some Woos (I'm going to visit their place in about a week) I'll realize the superiority of SP, somehow I doubt it though.

Or the wait times and demand for SP amps could be because SP deliberately chooses to keep output low to control quality better, or simply to stay small. Everyone who owns a small business doesn't want to be a bigger one. Only they know for sure.

Tim

May 21, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #67 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that the price of oil or supplies going up accounts for all the price increases that Single Power does. I do believe part of the reason is to make more profit. On a related note, Wooaudio recently increased the price of the w6 by $15.

From the business point of view, price of gas is always considered to be the major threat. and I think it's fair enough to raise the price to cover the inventory expense when businesses do the build-to-order stuff.

May 21, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #68 of 102
Get some smelling salts ready for mmwwhats.
biggrin.gif

According to a head-fier in another thread, the Zana Deux is increasing in price from $1900 without tubes (about $125) ... to $2500 with tubes and a few upgrades.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not on the list yet but just e-mailed him.Told me its the last run at this price $1900.There will be more @ $2500 which will include tubes,dress plate,teflon rca jacks ect .
I'm having a fit trying to decide between the woo,zana,yammamota

May 21, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #69 of 102
Man oh Man, these things are really getting up there, but with a zana duex, it's out of my price reach anyway so I don't feel that increase so viscerally. When it came to SP, I initially contacted them to buy an MPX3, which I thought would be around $850, which was kinda stretching it for me anyway, and then they quoted a price many hundreds of dollars more... so I was a bit taken aback.

But man, if we all got salary raises commensurate with these price increases nobody would bat an eyelash...

May 22, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #70 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
“Why thank you. So much for the notion of civil discourse.”

? You’ve repeatedly quoted wrong information stating it as fact.

OK You’ve Libeled a reputable company by you False Statements. Please go back and retract those False Statements and Publicly Apologize.

li•bel Audio Help ˈlaɪ bəl - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lahy-buh l] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -beled, -bel•ing or (especially British ) -belled, -bel•ling.
–noun
1.Law.
a.defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.
b.the act or crime of publishing it.
c.a formal written declaration or statement, as one containing the allegations of a plaintiff or the grounds of a charge.

2.anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents.
–verb (used with object)
3.to publish a libel against.
4.to misrepresent damagingly.
5.to institute suit against by a libel, as in an admiralty court.

But a statement cannot be libel unless it's untrue. Why are you defending SP based on them "reputable" (in what?). Mikhail is a passionate man who makes amazing amps but what do you really know how he runs his business?

OP: If I called you an idiot, that's opinion. But calling someone lying implies the person has told something that's not the truth. What is the foundation? You should be more prudent when you mess with what's potentially a person's living.

May 22, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #71 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get some smelling salts ready for mmwwhats.
biggrin.gif

According to a head-fier in another thread, the Zana Deux is increasing in price from $1900 without tubes (about $125) ... to $2500 with tubes and a few upgrades.

Good for me I'm on the current run la-la-la
biggrin.gif

Btw, not only the amps going up in price. Take a look at these tubes LOL!
eek.gif

May 23, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #72 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man oh Man, these things are really getting up there, but with a zana duex, it's out of my price reach anyway so I don't feel that increase so viscerally. When it came to SP, I initially contacted them to buy an MPX3, which I thought would be around $850, which was kinda stretching it for me anyway, and then they quoted a price many hundreds of dollars more... so I was a bit taken aback.

But man, if we all got salary raises commensurate with these price increases nobody would bat an eyelash...

I agree with you, salaries nowadays sucks, I suggest you two things, look in the used market, there is always good options, or look for another manufacturer, with more attractive prices, maybe Ray Samuels, ASL, Woo, or any other tube amp manufacturer, if you are looking for a tube amp particularly. Anyway IMO there is not much to innovate in a tube topology, that have not been implemented yet, with the tubes we know from 5 or 6 decades ago, and mainly all is reduced to the parts selection, quality of PS, layout, and care while implementing the amp, and in those aspects, AFAIK, Ray and Woo both are among the best, who knows, maybe another amp will do it for you, do not marry one manufacturer...I'm constantly listening amps, and comparing...that is a priority in this hobby...
tongue.gif

May 23, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #73 of 102
I feel like an idiot posting in one of these threads again, but this is a worthy note, when considering the long term value of an amp:

Historically when amps go out of production their value INSTANTLY plummets. Even fairly simple stuff, that never needs repair (and can be fixed easily when it does..) drops value the instant it becomes unavailable new and the "buzz about it" on the forums goes quiet. This is true even when there is no obvious replacement of equal quality in teh same price bracket.

That being said:
which of the 2 scenarios is worse here?
Buying an amp from a MFR who has produced the same core line for ages with occasional price increases.
VS
Buying an amp only to have it discontinued several months before you go to sell it.

The melos sha gold sold left and right for $2500 in 1997, today its $850...
Some of the older rudistor designs (i dont remember the name) have recently sold FAR less expensively than their sound justifies or their original price would lead you to believe.
JMT used to make a pimeta, nobody even sells them anymore. when they do go (after taking eons) they go cheap.
look at some of the old Moth amps, and the early eddy current amps.
the go-vibe was a fun little amp.
theres probably some more gems hidden here and there if you know where to look.

the only good thing about these amps becoming "out of flavor" is that if you are willing to wait for one to come around for sale you have a good chance of talking the price down WAY far. Accept the right of a vendor to change their prices at the drop of a hat, and just buy gear that works well.

May 23, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #74 of 102
I recall while I joined the forum the META42 was the FOTM, along with some commercial offers, MGHead, Sudgen, MicroZOLT, EMP, Melos (at that time we had two modders, Carlo and another guy)...later on PPA, Where have all the good times gone!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back