Why does SinglePower increase their price so often?
May 19, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #46 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alot of violent reactions to my comments. No, I don't believe this is a conspiracy theory. Yes, I do know I can choose not to buy their products. No, I don't take well to implied threats as in "[we don't take well to fighting words] here at Head-Fi, and I'd appreciate it if you'd think twice before doing so again." I've been around the block and have heard some of the most acclaimed and expensive gear extant, and some of it is just not any better than modestly priced gear. However, there is a perpetuated ideology that in audio if it's insanely expensive then it's probably insanely good, but too many times it's just so not true. Either way, I wont get into a rant here; I simply started this thread because I wanted to know if SP products are worth their price or if they are beginning to become wildly overpriced. I was hoping to hear from people who actually have experience in the matter (like some of you who commented do) and not just people who have opinions in the matter.

It's your attitude that's drawing fire. There are better ways of asking the question.
Also I'm not quite sure why you'd think SP would be immune to inflation. I've watched prices from many, many manufacturers increase through the years, and I can't see why you single out Single Power.

May 19, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #47 of 102
LeChuck, I agree with point #2 as well.

At this point it's just amusing just to see how heated people get. Somehow, I don't think anyone's making any public apologies, but I'm sure we all enjoyed the definitions.

I also don't see why people seem to be getting personally insulted about my original comments. People, more serious things in life are happening that some stranger (aka me) knocking your favorite headphone amp.

Additionally, If I were SP reading this threat, I'd go ahead and raise my prices even more seeing the unchecked praise they get for their products.

May 19, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #48 of 102
You just don't get it, do you?

You are, it seems, a pretty new member. I assumed you simply don't understand that a higher standard of behavior than you exhibited here is expected. The fact that you subsequently confess that you find the bruhaha of your making "amusing" makes it clear to me that you are, apparently, interested in stirring the pot...trolling, as it were.

So that there is no misunderstanding, you are perfectly within your right to be as critical as you like about any product you like on this site. You are expected to do so with civility and good sense. When you cross the line and question someone's personal ethics (e.g. accusing someone of lying to you) - particularly when there is good reason to expect that the basis for your slander is incorrect - those are rightly recognized as fighting words, used by someone who is merely looking for a fight. That kind of behavior will not be tolerated for long.

So...be as "amused" as you like. I'm telling you that, going forward, I expect better behavior. If you have an opinion about some aspect of a vendor's business, you (and all Head-Fi members) are perfectly free to voice it. You are not free to engage in pointless namecalling. It's the difference between being "opinionated" and being an opinionated jerk.

May 19, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #51 of 102
It's really very simple. If SP prices go up faster than their costs, it's because they can, without driving down demand. It is what marketers call "brand equity" -- the monetary value of the brand's perception and reputation. It has been well-demonstrated here. Are there other products out there that are as good for less? Probably. That's how other brands, with less equity, get their foot in the door and build the business.

Tim

May 19, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #53 of 102
Sorry, there's no way I can spend the time to read through this whole thread at the moment, but price increases a just a fact of life. At least if you buy an amp and decide to sell it later on, the resale value should naturally be higher if there are price increases for the same model between the time of purchase and sale.

Worrying about demand and prices and wages and such things is just too stressful. That's why I belong to a union
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #54 of 102
jsaliga, sorry to cause you regrets about your contribution. I'm not sure if you were referring to my last post in saying that, but even if I am the scum that some here may have suggested, that doesn't take away from the other thousands of members that do provide constructive input regarding this headphone hobby. If contributions keep this site going then thousands are thanking you.

May 20, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #55 of 102
Well this freelance nipple puffer has been satisfied with their purchase. Now if you'll excuse me, I have nipple puffin to do.
tongue.gif
^^

May 20, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #56 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just don't get it, do you?

You are, it seems, a pretty new member. I assumed you simply don't understand that a higher standard of behavior than you exhibited here is expected. The fact that you subsequently confess that you find the bruhaha of your making "amusing" makes it clear to me that you are, apparently, interested in stirring the pot...trolling, as it were.

So that there is no misunderstanding, you are perfectly within your right to be as critical as you like about any product you like on this site. You are expected to do so with civility and good sense. When you cross the line and question someone's personal ethics (e.g. accusing someone of lying to you) - particularly when there is good reason to expect that the basis for your slander is incorrect - those are rightly recognized as fighting words, used by someone who is merely looking for a fight. That kind of behavior will not be tolerated for long.

So...be as "amused" as you like. I'm telling you that, going forward, I expect better behavior. If you have an opinion about some aspect of a vendor's business, you (and all Head-Fi members) are perfectly free to voice it. You are not free to engage in pointless namecalling. It's the difference between being "opinionated" and being an opinionated jerk.

Elrod-tom put this very eloquently. You are perfectly in your right to be critical about a product, but when you single out a vendor and start insulating that they may not be forthright with you about pricing without good evidence, then that is an issue that many HF members will take to heart.

After members try to help and explain about why pricing could go up, it seems you are only searching for the answers you wanted in the first place. I think you said it well earlier:

Quote:

and if you can’t handle the heat, well, you know what they say…

Oh by the way, I'm sure you did yourself a favor with this comment:

Quote:

duly noted, moderator, I will heed your advice of voicing my opinions in the future without name-calling, and I will not follow in your lead of calling me a jerk.

May 20, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #57 of 102
I don't think that the price of oil or supplies going up accounts for all the price increases that Single Power does. I do believe part of the reason is to make more profit. On a related note, Wooaudio recently increased the price of the w6 by $15.

May 20, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #58 of 102
It seems to me if if the backlog for Singlepower continues to increase, then the market for their product merits the increases. The market usually gets it right. All I can say is that I feeling good about my recent used purchase at a fraction of the price of new and no waiting line.

May 20, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #59 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmantom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems to me if if the backlog for Singlepower continues to increase, then the market for their product merits the increases. The market usually gets it right. All I can say is that I feeling good about my recent used purchase at a fraction of the price of new and no waiting line.

You are right. In the world of custom-built acoustic guitars, there were a couple of boutique builders who held on to their notions of fair pricing until they were back ordered so far that people at the front of their list were taking delivery on their instruments and immediately turning around and selling them for more than the builder's current price. When that happens, or even looks like it is approaching, the market is telling you that your product will bear a higher price. And what the market will bear is what matters in a capitalist economy.

Tim

May 20, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #60 of 102
I think this thread has beaten to death already. This thread seems to have become a place to let off steam, and that's fine if that's what people need.

I do, however, appreciate the approach that some members have taken to psychoanalyze my statements. Maybe I do need help from others understanding what I originally said...

However, I do thank those who've commented meaningfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back