Why does my Triple Fi sound like ****?
Jan 28, 2011 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

FearSC549

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, I scored a $95 Triple Fi on Amazon a while ago and after using it for 3 weeks I RMAed it due to crappy cable. Today, I received it back from RMA and when I plugged it in to my sound card...it sound like crap. 

When I first got it (from Amazon), it sounded like there's no upper mids(around 1-6khz) and when it plugged it to my Clip+, it's a totally different story. It sounded like a pair for $200 IEMs. At first I thought it was a bad pair(and the cable also ripped), so I RMAed it, hoping my next pair won't sound the same. I just got it from UPS and the first thing I did was to plug to my sound card, it still sounded like there's no upper mids. I know many of you say the Triple Fi has recessed mids(V-sound), but this is not recessed mids, this is NO UPPER MIDS. When plugged to my Clip+, once again, it really opened up. It doesn't sound as warm, the upper mids are back. 

Sound card: Xonar DX

Any of you experiencing this?

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 19
Then it sounds like you need a better sound card or a DAC/amp combo. I only use mine with daps, so I haven't experienced that no upper mids problem.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 19
This sounds like the output impedance of your soundcard is screwing with the crossover on the TFs

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
Then it sounds like you need a better sound card or a DAC/amp combo. I only use mine with daps, so I haven't experienced that no upper mids problem.

This happens to my other sound card(X-Fi XtremeGamer) and both of my receivers.

Quote:
This sounds like the output impedance of your soundcard is screwing with the crossover on the TFs

Yes, this was my first assumption I posted a few months ago in another thread, however I do not know how to solve the problem.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 19
Im fairly sure it's the soundcard. When i had my tf10 and i plugged it to my laptop, it sounded horrible too. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
Also, none of my sources are EQed.

I don't EQ my sources either.  Hmm

Frequency response: 10 Hz – 17k Hz
Impedance: 32 Ohms, 1 kHz
Sensitivity: 117 dB SPL/mW, 1 kHz

What's the impedance output for the soundcards? This isn't outrageously high impedance. What's it like on your other phones/

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #11 of 19
TF10 sounds great with my clip+, they sound even better with ipod 5.5 > CU/AG LOD > Cmobybb v2.02.

They sound fine through my uDAC too, haven't tried them with the HO with my laptop yet.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
Quote:
Also, none of my sources are EQed.

I don't EQ my sources either.  Hmm

Frequency response: 10 Hz – 17k Hz
Impedance: 32 Ohms, 1 kHz
Sensitivity: 117 dB SPL/mW, 1 kHz

What's the impedance output for the soundcards? This isn't outrageously high impedance. What's it like on your other phones/

I have the M6, Turbines, and Metro.Fi 200. All of them sound great(and the same on the Clip+). My AD300 also have a impedance of 32 Ohms and it sounds the same throughout all my source.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the crossover and/or impedance.  

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #13 of 19
I use my TF10s amped and unamped

Clip+ unamped
iRiver iH140 ->Headsix and unamped
iAudio9 -> Headsix and unamped

They sound fine through all of the setups, but probably I like them best with the iRiver amped, guttier.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #14 of 19
Which version did you buy?

If it's the one with the mic, you MUST use the small extension cord with it to convert the 4 ring connector down to a 3 ring.

Outside of that, it's hard to say.  I haven't noticed the Triple.Fi 10 have many problems with switching source devices and amping.  They don't need much for wattage to drive.  Now these are high end earphones, and some audio sources are absolutely horrid.  You have to take some care since the Triple.Fi 10 are one of the more treble powerful earphones out there in the sense of detail, authority, and extension.  They are lightly forgiving versus a few other earphones, but it isn't a smoothed over, laid back top end, and a strong top end will show a LOT of weaknesses of the player, the music, and amping. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Which version did you buy?

If it's the one with the mic, you MUST use the small extension cord with it to convert the 4 ring connector down to a 3 ring.

Outside of that, it's hard to say.  I haven't noticed the Triple.Fi 10 have many problems with switching source devices and amping.  They don't need much for wattage to drive.  Now these are high end earphones, and some audio sources are absolutely horrid.  You have to take some care since the Triple.Fi 10 are one of the more treble powerful earphones out there in the sense of detail, authority, and extension.  They are lightly forgiving versus a few other earphones, but it isn't a smoothed over, laid back top end, and a strong top end will show a LOT of weaknesses of the player, the music, and amping. 

First pair (before the RMA) is a regular edition. Logitech was nice enough to upgrade me to a TF10vi because my RMA took a while.

Some 3.5mm jacks' conducting pin does not touch the last pin(the pin opposite of the edge pin), which is why the extension cord is needed.

I used it once to listen to the sound and replaced it with my Weston ES2 cable. 

On topic: I've tested with my 2 laptops and Onda VX676 PMP...and it still sound muffled(no upper mids/lower-highs makes music sound muffled). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back