why does my audio system sound better at night?
Oct 5, 2001 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Xander

The XanMan is back!
I swear my system sounds better at night, then it does in the day. I think I'm going crazy...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Anyone else experience this?
confused.gif

Oct 5, 2001 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Xander
I swear my system sounds better at night, then it does in the day. I think I'm going crazy...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Anyone else experience this?
confused.gif

This is a very common thing, and pearle and morphsci are probably right. Try a balanced power unit or PS Audio PowerPlant and see if that helps your day listening sessions sound like your night listening sessions -- I'm confident it'd do that.

Oct 5, 2001 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 35
Less traffic? Less stress? The friendly audio-gremlins?

Oct 5, 2001 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 35
I knew it! It's the audio-gremlins up to their old tricks again...

Cleaner power makes sense, as theres less disruption at night time. So, now my upgrade is:

Denon CDP
New Power Unit Thingy
Headphone Amp

Will it ever end? I used to think people were nuts for worrying about cables, and clean power, but then again my systems were never really that revealing. Guess it only sounds as good as the power you feed it with, eh?

Oct 5, 2001 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 35
actually, they should be in this order:

headphone amp
Denon cdp
power-thingy

at least IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2001 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 35
I'd never thought of it before I read this thread, but there sure is a difference. Everything sounds tighter and more defined, not to mention the increased soundstage and clarity. Very cool, but how much do I need to spend to make the most of my equipment 24/7?

Oct 5, 2001 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 35
I've experienced my system sounding better at night too. However, some occasions I was using a portable source, so I'm thinking it may not necessarily be cleaner power. Perhaps its a hold-over from our beginnings as small mammals where better hearing at night would help to detect predators better. The decrease in ambient noise at night probably helps too.

Oct 5, 2001 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr_Happy
I've experienced my system sounding better at night too. However, some occasions I was using a portable source, so I'm thinking it may not necessarily be cleaner power. Perhaps its a hold-over from our beginnings as small mammals where better hearing at night would help to detect predators better. The decrease in noise at night probably helps too.

That could be a component of it too. However, I've seen mention of (likely on Audio Asylum and/or in reviews) significantly higher measures of noise during the daytime on powerlines. In some cases, there is significant voltage drop during the day too. In cases of voltage drop, a voltage regulator (like the PowerPlants by PS Audio) would be the biggest help. Even my balanced power transformer wouldn't help if voltage drop is the cause. Luckily, at my house, voltage drop isn't an issue during the day.

Oct 6, 2001 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

This is a very common thing, and pearle and morphsci are probably right. Try a balanced power unit or PS Audio PowerPlant and see if that helps your day listening sessions sound like your night listening sessions -- I'm confident it'd do that.

My Power Plant definately makes day listening better than any night-time session I've ever had. I'd say it's dirty day-time power that compromises sound quality.

Surprisingly though, even at night I still get (slightly) better sound. It would make sense, given that the unit is running off what comes out of the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back