Why do you people spend hundreds of dollars on headphones
Jun 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #61 of 134
If you do that, you end up buying the CD only to buy a CD, which, depending on your original intention, may not be economical at all. What you could rather do is buy a normal run of the CD for $10 instead of the limited $100 edition with the band's autographs.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #62 of 134
Quote:
What you could rather do is buy a normal run of the CD for $10 instead of the limited $100 edition with the band's autographs.

The argument is more like wondering why someone paid a hundred grand for a stock Civic.

So, do you agree with OP then?

Reading around and and you have guys asking for recomendations on headphones that cost 200 bucks.

I wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks for a pair of headphones, if that.

If only I could spend $50 to get the same frequency response and comfort as my D5000. Oh well. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #63 of 134
Seriously? Why do people spend a lot of money on beats? Because they're a fashion item and aren't for serious music listening.

Any 20-60 dollar headphones will do a better job then beats

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #66 of 134
My own philosophy is that I'd rather spend $50 in a DAP and $250 in the headphones than the other way around. Sound quality-wise you get way, way more that way. It's all about personal priorities. Some might want style, some might want disk space for things, some might want just super boomy bass. For most people around these forums it tends to be sound quality though.
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #67 of 134
Quote:
My own philosophy is that I'd rather spend $50 in a DAP and $250 in the headphones than the other way around. Sound quality-wise you get way, way more that way. It's all about personal priorities. Some might want style, some might want disk space for things, some might want just super boomy bass. For most people around these forums it tends to be sound quality though.
tongue.gif

The source (DAC, not the files themselves) is usually the least important part of the audio chain, unless it's faulty or suffers from electrical interference then upgrading it will have the least impact, spending anymore than $100 on a DAC is going to give almost nothing for your money, unless you're looking for a specific feature or input/output. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #68 of 134
I like the detail and level of audio quality I can get from a pair of headphones when am not in the mood for speakers or feel like giving the neighbors a break from feeling like they're living below or above the gateway to hell :D I always do my best to get my audio gear at discounted prices. I once brought a two hundred dollar pair of headphones but they didn't satisfy me the way my other headphones in the forty dollar and hundred and fifty dollar range do.

Part of it is the thrill of the hunt for that perfect sound. I think I found it with my Ultrasone HFI-780 I got last month. So now I will probably use my budget for music on discount and or at thrift shops after rent, utility, food and social expenses. Responsibilities first then fun :)

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #70 of 134
Quote:
I like this game!

I present to you: a pair of DT770s for just under $200 on Ebay.

And your $20 equivalent is...

Sorry to say but DT770 for $200 is a very bad example. To my ears they are worth $100 at the most (with prolonged warranty maybe). Even Beyerdynamic has closed headphones cheaper than $200 sounding far better than DT770. 

What Vid says, and I agree with him, is that for $20 you can buy a pair of used (and sometimes new) headphones that outperform many "modern" mid-fi headphones.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #71 of 134
The trouble is, its pretty subjective beyond that point for £120 i cant think of better (new) than DT990's. they are by no means perfect, however i certainly don't think something costing $20 would outperform them.

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #72 of 134
Wheres the fun in cheap gear. Functional is boring. Its the variety thats fun. Design is beautiful.

You could get a great setup for fairly cheap. I like trying all the flavors though.

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #73 of 134
Quote:

Sorry to say but DT770 for $200 is a very bad example. To my ears they are worth $100 at the most (with prolonged warranty maybe). Even Beyerdynamic has closed headphones cheaper than $200 sounding far better than DT770. 

What Vid says, and I agree with him, is that for $20 you can buy a pair of used (and sometimes new) headphones that outperform many "modern" mid-fi headphones.

Agreed the DT770 Pro 250 ohm version I played out of my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver just sounded so lifeless with everything feeling subdued.

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #74 of 134
Quote:
Wheres the fun in cheap gear. Functional is boring. Its the variety thats fun. Design is beautiful.

You could get a great setup for fairly cheap. I like trying all the flavors though.

The fun part can be just the fact that the gear is cheap. There can be a plenty of variety and flavor in cheap, used gear aswell. Expensive doesn't equal good but of course if your goal is buying expensive stuff just because it is expensive then there is no lot to say.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #75 of 134
I only buy expensive gear bc of the price tag. I dont even listen to them. I just use it all as paper weights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back