Why do you people spend hundreds of dollars on headphones
Jun 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #16 of 134
But I can buy a Canon PowerShot A2300 on Amazon for $99! Why would I ever need to spend more?

Problem solved - you're welcome 8)

Thank you for sharing :wink: I used to think like you in the beginning, taking a shot with my iPhone and cheap Canon Powershot S110 and always thought I will never need a better camera.

Then, I realized that the picture quality kind of suck.

You cannot not go back in time and re-take the precious moment, and I started to shot at night and low light, and sometime few shots for real estate I needed wide angle with fast lenses etc etc. Believe me, you will appreciate good quality photography gears in the future than today :)

But it's all a matter of personal preference, I prefer shooting portrait pictures with really nice smooth and creamy bokeh than cheap point shot cameras. Again it's all personal. :)

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #17 of 134
Thank you for sharing :wink: I used to think like you in the beginning, taking a shot with my iPhone and cheap Canon Powershot S110 and always thought I will never need a better camera.

Then, I realized that the picture quality kind of suck.

You cannot not go back in time and re-take the precious moment, and I started to shot at night and low light, and sometime few shots for real estate I needed wide angle with fast lenses etc etc. Believe me, you will appreciate good quality photography gears in the future than today :)

But it's all a matter of personal preference, I prefer shooting portrait pictures with really nice smooth and creamy bokeh than cheap point shot cameras. Again it's all personal. :)

+1, I used to dabble in photography but with 35mm on a minolta slr. The price of a simple 50mm fixed range, low number Fstop was ridiculous! My friend spent I think close to 10 times the body on just the lens. lol

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #18 of 134
+1, I used to dabble in photography but with 35mm on a minolta slr. The price of a simple 50mm fixed range, low number Fstop was ridiculous! My friend spent I think close to 10 times the body on just the lens. lol

Ya, I think
DSLR body = Tube amp
Vintage tubes = lenses
lol.

at one point we have to stop :)

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #19 of 134
Because with price everything tends to (or should) improve, obviously.
We get more realistic sound out of our headphones/speakers
We get better picture quality out of our TV
We get more horse power or luxury out of our cars
We get better looking games/faster tasking from PCs/laptops/phones
We get increased X out of product Y...

The worst thing is that it never, EVER ends 
blink.gif

Jun 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #20 of 134
Guys, I've deleted a couple of rude posts. It is best, always to assume the OP is sincere, even if there is a chance they aren't. If you think their question isn't sincere, DON'T REPLY. Thanks.
Thanks to everyone who posted good replies.
beerchug.gif

Jun 14, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #21 of 134
And there are also some that would say the same for the $200 phones..... $1500 headphones....jacked into 10k worth of DAC and Amp is still not good enough for some. :). Better is a subjective term. Some don't like beats, some do. Some don't like skullcandys, some do. Even some dont like HD800s. For sure they all sound different....you seem to prefer your headphones to beats. I like my HD558 better than beats too. What I find at $200 is that I can hear more detail and better soundstage in my music...which brings me enjoyment, which is what this is all about. We enjoy listening to music and sharing what we enjoy with others here in the forum.

Reading around and and you have guys asking for recomendations on headphones that cost 200 bucks.

I wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks for a pair of headphones, if that.

I have 20 dollar sony headphones and they sound betetr than this overrpriced beats garbage or whatever

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #23 of 134
I'm with Currawong here: I think you have to assume the OP is genuine. At the very least the question should cause us to consider what we're doing and why we're doing it, and every hobbyist or enthusiast should ask himself that every so often. It's easy to confirm each other's desires on a site like this and forget that the sort of money we're talking about for even budget phones is several times what the average Joe would consider spending on headphones. Every so often we need a reality check. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #24 of 134
brave post.  i think quite valid. Is like putting up a mirror. And sometimes you dont like what you see.
And this site is like the headphone walhalla.

With me...I am just here for the ride. Trying to take advantage of the expertise while looking for headset when i (sometimes) around alone.And it has resulted in quite a few nice buys. But on the otherhand i now have a collection of 8 headphones and counting. Before headfi i only bought a headset when the old one broke down.Go figure.

When reading the sites i get curious and I am extremely susceptible to the FOTM threads.

Anyway thanks for the post. Need to get grip on myself. I like my music but need to be carefull not to go overboard.

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #25 of 134
Would be nice if the OP would actually be active in the thread. There is too many fire-and-forget threads around...

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #26 of 134
What a great thread. Should be a sticky! Every time I get the bug for another upgrade or addition to my collection, I'd reread it and get back down to earth!:)

Funny thing though, I will spend a few hundred on audio gear in a heart beat, but rarely a couple hundred on a concert ticket to go listen live! Somehow I like being able to listen to good music over and over than just once. Exception was RWs recent The Wall Concert. Went twice just to relive that magic experience.

So there it is... You spend what you do because its life fulfilling and enjoyable. Good music + good source + good headphones = bliss...:wink:

Edit: damn iPad spell correction!

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #27 of 134
I don't like to spend my money on music 
size]

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #29 of 134
Quote:

So we shouldnt spend any money for anything else other than what is absolutely necessary to survive?

I see it a question of spending wisely rather than not at all. Modern mid-fi phones especially are both overpriced and lagging behind in technology otherwise, hence paying modern premium for them should perhaps wisely be avoided.

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #30 of 134
Quote:

I see it a question of spending wisely rather than not at all. Modern mid-fi phones especially are both overpriced and lagging behind in technology otherwise, hence paying modern premium for them should perhaps wisely be avoided.

Well, i have never ever owned a smartphone and have always been fine with 30$ nokias (currently the nokia 1616 which is dreary as hell). The money that i saved up by not buying what today is considered as almost necessary, got spent on the akg k550.

Spending wisely is something completely subjective. If that's what this thread is all about, then it has no reason to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back