Why do ( some ) people call HD600/HD650 boring cans ?
Jan 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

bruze

New Head-Fier
I don't understand what people mean when they say an headphone is boring
confused.gif
I mean shouldnt it be the music you listen that make your listening exciting / boring ?

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 54
Yeah I don't get it either. The HD650 is often described as such by people who prefer a different sound signature (which is fine), but those people fail to understand these terms have no bearing because the HD650 is not intrinsically slow or boring. If it were, then why do others find great synergy in certain systems, contrary to those claims?

With that in mind, I believe it's because the HD650 is very revealing and won't gloss over any deficiencies in a chain. If your equipment (amp/dac) is slow and boring it will define the sound heard through the HD650. This validates the belief that finding the right synergy (irrespective of price bracket) is important.

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 54
People in Head-Fi are treble enthusiasts that's why.

But to me, midrange is way more important than bass or treble could ever be.

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 54
Though I have very limited experience with the HD600's i also dont understand the "Boring" aspect of them.
I played them for about 30 seconds, and I was in complete awe. It felt so natural, so smooth, so clear. I really wanted them, but it's too bad they're $500 in canada....

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 54
The only thing I can come up with some people calling HD650 boring is because it's got a laid-back sound signature and those people probably prefers a colored/warm/forward sound like for example Grados. Those people that prefer the fun/in-your-face style probably find the HD650 "boring".

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 54

Quote:
The only thing I can come up with some people calling HD650 boring is because it's got a laid-back sound signature and those people probably prefers a colored/warm/forward sound like for example Grados. Those people that prefer the fun/in-your-face style probably find the HD650 "boring".

The HD650 is a warm headphone.

The thing I don't understand is how people find the HD650 boring when it SMACKS you in the face with midrange.
Not many other headphones do that.

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 54
The HD650 are very good headphones but they were "boring" to me in contrast to others because their sound is extremely smooth and dark (or often called laid back). There's not a lot of impact or extreme detail in anything it does.

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 54

Quote:
People in Head-Fi are treble enthusiasts that's why.

But to me, midrange is way more important than bass or treble could ever be.

yes.  But I like a warm sound and I also sometimes find them boring so I think there is something about their decay or transients that gives them a slightly dull sound unless they are fed a lot of power.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 54

Quote:
Quote:

The HD650 is a warm headphone.

The thing I don't understand is how people find the HD650 boring when it SMACKS you in the face with midrange.
Not many other headphones do that.

On my setup the HD650 has great impact and fantastic detail. There is nothing slow or laid back about the presentation here and it gets more things right than wrong. The comments after my initial post confirms what I stated. Your gear will define what you hear and the HD650 will show this to you, warts and all. If you're lucky enough to find wonderful synergy to match your preferences you'll be greatly rewarded.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 54
I think the HD650s are a very nuanced headphone -- people call them warm but I think that might be very amp-dependent. Although I haven't listened a lot of Sennheisers, but the HD650s sound very flat to me. Maybe that's why people think they're boring. I think you need a 'colored' amp like maybe a tube amp to get more personality out of them. Others will disagree I'm sure.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 54
I never found the 650 boring. I loved how I could crank them very loud (90+) and they remained smooth and non-fatiguing while still delivering plenty of detail all around. Yes, they like a lot of power. I did often use my Aphex 204 processor to brighten them so my comments may not fit in with most other user experiences...or at least the non EQ type people.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 54
maybe they are being used with the crappy stock cables, an insufficient amp or not enough time was allowed for burn in for the aftermarket cable or the drivers.  these cans need about 1,000 hours of burn-in, imo.  i do not find my 650 with silver dragon cable or my 600 with equinox cable boring with my dedicated amps, interconnects & sources and after sufficient burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back