Why do people like portable headphones??
Oct 4, 2011 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sulkoudai

500+ Head-Fier
They are harder to carry than iems
They often need an amp, which makes it even harder to carry around
There are full size headphones that are more comfortable and probably better sounding (please remember i said probably)
They stand out, unlike iems

Headphones like the Sennheiser HD25 is nice but I really don't get the point of it, i can even get the M50s or the HD598 for around the same price.....

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
They are harder to carry than iems

True. But still easy to carry compared to a full-size.

Quote:
They often need an amp, which makes it even harder to carry around

Blatantly a sweeping generalisation. A few may, but I'm pretty sure the majority won't need an amp. Designers would have seen past this. More often then not, full-sized headphones need amping.

Quote:
There are full size headphones that are more comfortable and probably better sounding (please remember i said probably)

They're normally smaller then full-size.. Hence the portable. (i.e. Smaller, can fold-up etc.) Comfort all depends on the wearer. Probably better sounding? Based on what? With no comparisons or explanation, is a negligible argument.

Quote:
They stand out, unlike iems

Something people care, some people don't. And some people don't like shoving long pieces of plastic and metal deep into their ears.

Quote:
Headphones like the Sennheiser HD25 is nice but I really don't get the point of it, i can even get the M50s or the HD598 for around the same price.....

Don't get the point of it?

HD25 is far lighter at (all weights are w/o cable) 140g. M50's being 284g and HD598's being 270.
HD25 has a far shorter cable at 1.5m. M50's is 2.5m and HD598's 3m.
Most portables are collapsible/foldable. Most full-sized headphones aren't.

^ 3 incredibly important factors in terms of portability which some people need, especially when commuting. I mean, who wants to carry around such heavy headphones with such long cables which can't even fit in their bags?

To be honest, I don't see the point of this thread 
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 4
In my opinion you cannot classify something as portable if it needs an amp!

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 4
I'm not crazy about portable headphones.

IEMs are fine for what they do, but I prefer full-sized headphones and floorstanding speakers. Going into them is cheaper than winding through the various portable/halfway rigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back