why do not you like Window Media Player?
Jul 28, 2010 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

GuruTech

100+ Head-Fier
hey all!
I have observed this around me. So today i am not gonna ask those who like it but this questions is for only those who do not love Window Media Player.

SO guys! Tell me one reason to dislike window media player?

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 23
The fact that it runs on MS Windows only is enough for me.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 23
I don't like it's lack of support for almost all video formats and the way it pops up a message saying it will look for a codec but never ever finds one and instead points you to a useless help page. I don't bother with it if I can help it but it annoys me when WMP is the default handler on a PC and I have to wait for it, close it and install/open VLC to play a video.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 23
why i don't like media player 

1.doesn't support many music formats with out special codecs 

3. i think of it as bloated 

4. foobar can do anything media player can and more

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 23
Since I haven't bothered with it for a while these may not be accurate, but: by default it rips to wma with protection, big ugly interface, sends information to MS, tries to show ads (or is that Messenger?), tries to associate itself with every type of file even though it can't play half of them. If that's not enough I doubt it supports FLAC with ReplayGain and gapless playback. At home the biggest reason not to use it is my house is Windows-free.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 23
Same as bungle, I haven't used it for a while so my comments may be inaccurate:

1. Bloated
2. Dislike the ugly interface
3. It reads tags all wrong - mind you, the mp3 track info displays properly in Foobar and even iTunes.
4. I just can't find the things I need (i.e. messy options menus)

Much prefer Foobar.

On the other hand, my sister (she's not a computer geek and a mother) has no problems with WMP.

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 23
X2, Kai! I've used WMP at work and it seems OK. But anything that doesn't run on Linux or OS X doesn't run in my house. It's a Microsoft-free zone. I perform a ritual purification after touching Windows machines.

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
Because there are better alternatives.

this.

music = foobar
video files = media player classic
DVD (on the rare occasion i watch one on my PC) = powerdvd

the above perform each of those uses much more to my liking...

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #14 of 23
actually i like it, its the audio player i find lets me just drop folder on to and just play its contents.  everything else seems to demand adding things to a library and then playing the whole library.

oh and all the wedia buttons work without the application haveing to be on top

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #15 of 23
i actually use wmp when i rip cd's to wave format.   but i agree that it doesn't support flac and most most of my library is in that format and i prefer not to install any special codecs for that so i rather use winamp or foobar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back