Why do no audiophiles listen to electronic music?
Oct 16, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #196 of 238
Unless I missed it, Thievery Corporation was left out of the list. Mirror Conspiracy is just an amazing album. Kruder & Dorfmeister, or Tosca are also recommended and similar in sound.

I'd also like to add Juno Reactor's Bible of Dreams to the list.

Oct 17, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #197 of 238

I'm 58 and enjoy electronic music, It depends what you call electronic music. The  birth of (modern) electronic music coincides with the invention of the Moog synthesizer and evolved from there. I find listening to the modern genres is difficult, a lot of it hurts.Here's a song off the album where a drum machine was first used (Bentley Rhythm Ace) the year was 1973. The bass player complained that it hurt his ears to play with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdZiSl4ti_o

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #198 of 238
I'm 58 and enjoy electronic music, It depends what you call electronic music. The  birth of (modern) electronic music coincides with the invention of the Moog synthesizer and evolved from there. I find listening to the modern genres is difficult, a lot of it hurts.Here's a song off the album where a drum machine was first used (Bentley Rhythm Ace) the year was 1973. The bass player complained that it hurt his ears to play with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdZiSl4ti_o

FWIW, much of modern electronic music is minimal in its scope. This goes back to the late-'50s. I agree; Moog popularized an electroscopic sound within an extremely conservative genre - the Rock mainstream. It's just that the more interesting music exists on an alternate plain. Interestingly, older analog synthesizers, especially modulars, are now in vogue. They're just used differently than, say, Keith Emerson used his.

:)

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #199 of 238
I wonder what an original Moog sells for? The whole synthesized music bit went too far, many thought (and still think) that ELP played .pretentious music. IMO the current love affair with bass heavy computer generate sound will die and acoustic or at least bare music that is melodic will be in vogue - the music is anonymous (I saw Shpongle live and couldn't tell you who the guy is), I've heard a few good songs and have hope. What really killed creativity were the greedy suits in the distribution business. Apple has to bear a fair share of the blame. Once a lot of people are deaf by the age of 35 and lot of otolaryngologists are filthy rich.  

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #202 of 238
Man, I really can't relate to you guys because I have never really listened to this old techno stuff. On the flip side, I listen to lots of modern electronic music. Anybody want to show a youtube video with a good electronic song? I'm curious now...

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #203 of 238
Man, I really can't relate to you guys because I have never really listened to this old techno stuff. On the flip side, I listen to lots of modern electronic music. Anybody want to show a youtube video with a good electronic song? I'm curious now...

Early electronic music didn't consist of songs, as such. They were compositions, mostly avant-garde. The closest thing to it today is experimental Electronica.

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #206 of 238
Some people seem a little confused about what constitutes electronic music...

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #207 of 238
Oct 20, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #208 of 238
Yes, it would be good to define electronic music. Just like the blues can be split in to various genre's or jazz or rock or trance or....   It wasn't created just a few years ago, it evolved from something which was also 'electronic music'.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #209 of 238
I think it would be fair to begin defining electronic music by it's source. I would argue that electronic music has to be be predominantly created within DAW(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back