Why do no audiophiles listen to electronic music?
Oct 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #226 of 238
So based on this, and amalgamating our conclusions with wikipedia's definition, we can explain electronic music as the following:
Electronic music is music that employs electronic music technology in its production, created predominantly from electronic musical instruments.

Would that be a fair definition?

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #228 of 238
Hahaha yeah, that is much simpler and much more eloquent than my definition.
I sort of made a frankenstein's monster between the thread's revelations and wikipedia's definition.

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #229 of 238

to those that say electronic music is undynamic-compressed cold or low quality i beg you to listen to infected mushrooms new album Converting Vegetarians 2. It will revolutionize what you think of electronic music i promise.

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #231 of 238
To the OP:
I like Dido.
Great recordings.
And I think I'm an audiophile! :D

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #232 of 238
I've listened to Tangerine Dream since the 70's, and Varese and Stockhausen even before then. And I personally don't count sampled music that has been altered, or vocals and instruments that have been run thru AutoTune as true electronic music, i.e. music produced entirely electronically with theremins and synthesizers, or maybe even chiptunes and circuit benders. I despise AutoTune vocals, I prefer wonderful, gifted natural voices, like Diana Damrau. Yes, I am anachronistic; I don't listen to popular music after the 80's or so...

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #233 of 238
Tangerine Dream

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #234 of 238
That was really cool.  Thanks!

Check out something from the opposite side of the electronic spectrum:

Quote:

to those that say electronic music is undynamic-compressed cold or low quality i beg you to listen to infected mushrooms new album Converting Vegetarians 2. It will revolutionize what you think of electronic music i promise.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #235 of 238
Probably 40% of my listening time is spent with electronic music, and I do use a lot of it for evaluating equipment and SQ. RAM is one of my 'go-to's for demoing gear.

However, there is a bunch of really well put together electronic music which features real instruments and bands, and has supreme SQ.

Ott is a music producer and mixer on a bunch of high profile artists, and does his own electronic/dub/psy/world thing on the side. All of his stuff uses a combination of real instruments and electronic techniques.

Also another one I love is Alva Noto & Ryuchi Sakamoto. It's more ambient style. This is one of my top 10 albums of all time.

May 10, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #236 of 238
'Electronic' is one of my favorite types of music, even though I like most anything. The great thing about Electronic is that it can be of the highest production quality available...all dependant on the creator/producer. You can exactly manage all the sound and detail going into the song and end up with an incredible piece of music...the only limit is imagination. Trentemoller, Haywyre, and Vocaloid songs by Kikuo, Aura Qualic, and LIQ are some of my favorites.

To me, if you just had one song to present to somebody to demonstrate HD music - I would go for an Electronica track that gives the whole range of sound and intensity you can get in a musical piece. I can't imagine a presentation of bass level both tighter AND heavier/more impactfull than you can find in electronic music.

May 12, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #238 of 238
I do. I'm no EDM expert and don't go out of my way to find new artists though. Listen to lots of commercial stuff. Bjork, Sebastien Tellier, Zhu, Skrillex, Martin Garrix, Major Lazer, FKA Twigs, Daft Punk... and lots of stuff on that channel - Kyama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back