Why do no audiophiles listen to electronic music?
Oct 20, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #211 of 238
We can start with wikipedia's definition and then work from there
According to wikipedia: Electronic music is music that employs electronic musical instruments and electronic music technology in its production.
Based on that, I would argue, that Electronic music is not a genre in and of itself but rather an umbrella term, a categorization of a variety of genres which are pretty well defined (e.g., drum n bass, dubstep, synthpop, etc.)

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #212 of 238
Which brings back to the topic of this thread. Why audiophiles don't listen to electronic music. I disagree with that statement, we do, I do. Some audiophiles listen with their eyes and to music that makes their high dollar 'investment' sound good or flatter it.

I think we must differentiate between audiophile music lovers and audiophile equipment lovers - those who are never happy with their system and when they get together with like minded people brag endlessly how good their $ 2500 IC's sound... and that silver....

I listen to music that I term electronic (not generated by analogue instruments) as well as jazz (all genres), blues (all genres), prog rock, trance rock, punk, reggae, classical - anything really that sounds good to me. It's about music and not a pissing contest. 

When you have good musical sound system you listen to everything (well recorded and produced)

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #213 of 238

I think we must differentiate between audiophile music lovers and audiophile equipment lovers - those who are never happy with their system and when they get together with like minded people brag endlessly how good their $ 2500 IC's sound... and that silver....

When you have good musical sound system you listen to everything (well recorded and produced)

I agree wholeheartedly to both of these points.

I personally listen to everything from Miles Davis to Radiohead to Jamie xx to Kendrick Lamar and as long as the music is well produced, mixed, and mastered, I'll add it to my list of favourites and audiophile essentials.

Truly, as much as it hurts me to say this, but it is the audiophile equipment lovers, specifically the ones who are ONLY equipment lovers and not music lovers, who give audiophiles a bad name and makes being an audiophile so inaccessible to many.

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #214 of 238
This whole thread is predicated on OP's incorrect assumptions. I've seen plenty of high-end equipment reviews that use electronic music as a reference, along with every other genre of music. The title of the thread seems almost willfully provocative as well: it's asking the question as if it were an established fact that simply requires an explanation, when actually it's not.

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #215 of 238
This whole thread is predicated on OP's incorrect assumptions. I've seen plenty of high-end equipment reviews that use electronic music as a reference, along with every other genre of music. The title of the thread seems almost willfully provocative as well: it's asking the question as if it were an established fact that simply requires an explanation, when actually it's not.

Right. It's called an assumption of facts not in evidence. Like asking when you finally decided to stop beating your wife.

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #216 of 238
  This whole thread is predicated on OP's incorrect assumptions. I've seen plenty of high-end equipment reviews that use electronic music as a reference,

This is very true. For example, Daft Punk's R.A.M. is a brilliantly mastered album and is a staple album for testing speakers/headphones/etc.

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #217 of 238
The R.A.M. LP is good but the cd and download have very poor dynamic range, the digital is not well mastered IMHO

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #218 of 238
The R.A.M. LP is good but the cd and download have very poor dynamic range, the digital is not well mastered IMHO

Of course. When applicable I am referring to either the vinyl or a vinyl rip I did myself (for putting on my phone).

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #219 of 238
Of course. When applicable I am referring to either the vinyl or a vinyl rip I did myself (for putting on my phone).

[OT] Just as a FYI, analog folks loathe the word vinyl aside from a reference to the actual material. It's a record, an album, or a LP [/OT]

Ask me how I know:

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #220 of 238
Alright! Aside from apparent envy of your collection of LPs (I started collecting 6 months ago and I only have about 25... I'm working on it), I will keep that in mind! Thanks!

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #222 of 238
  We can start with wikipedia's definition and then work from there
According to wikipedia: Electronic music is music that employs electronic musical instruments and electronic music technology in its production.
Based on that, I would argue, that Electronic music is not a genre in and of itself but rather an umbrella term, a categorization of a variety of genres which are pretty well defined (e.g., drum n bass, dubstep, synthpop, etc.)

Agreed. It is not a genre of music, but refers to the production. It must be synthesizer based, so includes artists from Giorgio Moroder to Daft Punk to Jean-Michel Jarre.

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #223 of 238
Agreed with lamode. Synthesizer based. The foundation, lead role is for electronic music instruments so I think Wikipedia's definition isn't quite correct. A lot of music ''employs'' some (form of) electronic musical instrument but that doesn't make it electronic music. 

Edit: grammar

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #225 of 238
Agreed with lamode. Synthesizer based.The foundation, lead role is for electronic music instruments so I think Wikipedia's definition isn't quite correct. A lot of music ''employs'' some (form of) electronic musical instrument but that doesn't make it electronic music. 

A good example of this is U2's With Or Without You. The song starts-off with a synthesized bass line that's carried throughout the track. Is it electronic music? Of course not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back