Why do/don't "audiophile" cables improve sound?
Dec 14, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #211 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by viggen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yah there's value in this thread. It's fun to see this type of debate carry out on the web. It would not be that good if it carried out in real life.

On the contrary, I would rather see the believers put stuff in front of non-believers and show them. It would be most productive to mingle in the real world.

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #212 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll make a note of your lack of interest.

See ya
Steve

I'm pleased you have taken note. I am also pleased that the thread appears to be getting back on topic. Maybe I will continue following it.

cheers
Simon

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #213 of 293
Quote:

How does a transistor add depth cues? And why is "increased soundstage" better when it's imagined coming from cables than when it's imagined coming from solid state electronics?

See ya
Steve

P.S. You're SUPPOSED to hear the depth cues.

Who is talking about cables? I was talking tubes versus transistor. Transistors have fake detail, nothing i hear in real life performances. period. I don't hear in a real life performance how deep an opera hall is or how far someone is sitting from eachother or how high the seeling is of a hall or recording studio.

In real life you'll only hear a floating sound or a floating voice.

Nice for engeneers to brag and show off their equipment, nothing in real life.

As usual, you still don't make any sense to me.

P.s.
you suppose to hear differences in cables too but you don't!

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #214 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who is talking about cables? I was talking tubes versus transistor.

Maybe you should take another look at the thread topic.

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #215 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by systemerror909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well then lets bring this thread back to scientifically accepted principles in cable. Two noticeable effects I think most people would agree exist are: skin effect and cable impedance. Are not both of these measurable?

Whoever told you they had an influence for your application, i'd propose to withdraw confidence immediatly if he doesn't tell you in clear and simple terms how much they will affect the band between 20Hz and 20 000Hz (which is the only waveform stored on the CD's you hear).

Dec 14, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #216 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoever told you...

Please stop this kind of condescending attitude towards Head-Fiers with deviating opinions -- if ever possible! It doesn't create a friendly atmosphere which would enable a fruitful exchange.

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #217 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please stop this kind of condescending attitude towards Head-Fiers with deviating opinions -- if ever possible! It doesn't create a friendly atmosphere which would enable a fruitful exchange.

I can't find anything wrong with my post.
If someone's trying to make a dollar or two by telling a head-fier he will loose highs through skin effect, i think it's an interesting complement to say that the "highs" he's actually talking about are maybe 100Khz or several Mhz, not 10 or 20Khz as implied.
It was my impression, that this was exactly the information that systemerror909 was missing.

My attitude is not against head-fiers with different opinions, but against scammers that tell you that the cable they are about to sell you costs 2000% more than another one, because it sounds better thanks to lesser skin effect.

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #218 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find anything wrong with my post.

The condescence lies in the way you make it look as if (in this case) systemerror909 didn't form his opinion by own reflection, but just repeats sales arguments.

Quote:

My attitude is not against head-fiers with different opinions, but against scammers that tell you that the cable they are about to sell you costs 2000% more than another one, because it has lesser skin effect.

So please stop this attitude as well. You don't know the people and their background you address that way.

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #219 of 293
Quote:

So please stop this attitude as well. You don't know the people and their background you address that way.

Mmm, well...no. "Suggestion" rejected.
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #220 of 293
Quote:

Who is talking about cables? I was talking tubes versus transistor. Transistors have fake detail, nothing i hear in real life performances. period. I don't hear in a real life performance how deep an opera hall is or how far someone is sitting from eachother or how high the seeling is of a hall or recording studio.

Nice for engeneers to brag and show off their equipment, nothing in real life.

As usual, you still don't make any sense to me.

P.s.
you suppose to hear differences in cables too but you don't!

That's just nonsense. Of course you hear room acoustics in real life. Why do you think some concert halls are prefered over others?

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #221 of 293
Quote:

What are you smokin'?!

See ya
Steve

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #222 of 293
Quote:

Please stop this kind of condescending attitude

OK. I'll restate the question nicer...

How much does skin effect and impedance affect the sound band between 20Hz and 20 000Hz in the typical cable lengths used in home stereos?

Do you have an answer now? If not, I'll take a crack at it.

Thanks
Steve

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #223 of 293
Quote:

The condescence lies in the way you make it look as if (in this case) systemerror909 didn't form his opinion by own reflection, but just repeats sales arguments.

I think that's pretty common in these forums, don't you?

Are you trying to stir up trouble to get this thread closed? So far, you seem to be the only one that's angry.

See ya
Steve

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #224 of 293
Quote:

How much does skin effect and impedance affect the sound band between 20Hz and 20 000Hz in the typical cable lengths used in home stereos?

The question wasn't directed to me. But if you're interested in my own theory, you'll find it a few pages above.

Quote:

I think that's pretty common in these forums, don't you?

What are you addressing?

Quote:

Are you trying to stir up trouble to get this thread closed? So far, you seem to be the only one that's angry.

I'm not angry at all. Vul Kuolun needed some clarification of my remark, so I provided it. I don't hope to be the cause for trouble -- I'd like this thread to stay alive.

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #225 of 293
Quote:

OK. I'll restate the question nicer...

Do you have an answer now? If not, I'll take a crack at it.

Thanks
Steve

Here is one interesting analysis of the effect of skin-effect on speaker cable for a 2 x 10ft run of 12 awg. It doesnt cover RCA interconnects.

Skin Effect Relevance in Speaker Cables — Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News

Users who are viewing this thread

Back