Why do/don't "audiophile" cables improve sound?
Dec 15, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #226 of 293
First, cable materials. Silver wire BLOWS away copper. Second Silver wire really does blow away copper and third, copper wire is inferior to silver wire because of....

The chosen dielectric (between the signal wires and the return/earth) is PE for this has nearly the same dielectric constant (ε) as PTFE (2.26 against 2.1 [compare: vacuum = 1, PS = 2.6, PVC = 2.9, ABS = 2.8-3.8]) but it is far more easier to process during manufacturing and more flexible.

This mechanical construction leads to a very natural sonically behavior of the cable and a very low capacitance.

Distortion of the audio signal due to interconnect cables between audio equipment is in essence the most relevant factor when looking at the different cable brands.

The use of a rather complex balanced twisting method in the SilverCab cables results in a dramatically improved audio transfer, less distortion, widened 3D sound-stage and a quieter background. This added to the already excellent dynamic performance of the high purity silver conductors, enables the ultimate listening experience.

Look at by eBay listing that can show you the differences!

IPOD Line Out to 3.5mm Audiophile Silvercab Connector - (eBay item 270194408894 end time Dec-16-07 06:10:19 PST)

I would say the sound stages improves by 20 - 30% depending on your hearing sensitivity. I'm also willing to back that up!!

SACD-Man
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #227 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, cable materials. Silver wire BLOWS away copper. Second Silver wire really does blow away copper and third, copper wire is inferior to silver wire because of....

First, an assertion is an assertion is an assertion.

Quote:

The chosen dielectric (between the signal wires and the return/earth) is PE for this has nearly the same dielectric constant (ε) as PTFE (2.26 against 2.1 [compare: vacuum = 1, PS = 2.6, PVC = 2.9, ABS = 2.8-3.8]) but it is far more easier to process during manufacturing and more flexible.

Consequence for the waveform?

Quote:

This mechanical construction leads to a very natural sonically behavior of the cable and a very low capacitance.

Nothing but unfoundet assertions. Consequence for the waveform?
Quote:

Distortion of the audio signal due to interconnect cables between audio equipment is in essence the most relevant factor when looking at the different cable brands.

What kind of distortion are you refering to? Can you show us a waverform? A measurement?
Quote:

The use of a rather complex balanced twisting method in the SilverCab cables results in a dramatically improved audio transfer, less distortion, widened 3D sound-stage and a quieter background. This added to the already excellent dynamic performance of the high purity silver conductors, enables the ultimate listening experience.

Assertions, assertions, assertions.
Consequences for the waveform?
Quote:

IPOD Line Out to 3.5mm Audiophile Silvercab Connector - (eBay item 270194408894 end time Dec-16-07 06:10:19 PST)

I'm sorry, but i hate guerillia marketing like that. That's poor.
Quote:

I would say the sound stages improves by 20 - 30% depending on your hearing sensitivity. I'm also willing to back that up!!

SACD-Man
smily_headphones1.gif

Go ahead! That's what you're supposed to do when posting in this thread.

Dec 15, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #228 of 293
Why? Because its all about the materials used to create the cable.
Virgin silver in natural insulation (example cotton) sound better to my ears than copper in PCV insulation.

Guess it boils down to capacitance, inductance, resistance and impedance...

Dec 15, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #229 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess it boils down to capacitance, inductance, resistance and impedance...

Of course it does.
Every EE can calculate the influence of these values for you. Chances are just that you may not like the answer you'll get.

At this point, i feel it's time for ""the mother of all reasonable cable posts":

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2813426-post91.html

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #230 of 293
You had better quote relevant portions. I doubt if they'll click through to something they know in advance doesn't agree with their impressions.

See ya
Steve

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #231 of 293
Quote:

SACD-Man
smily_headphones1.gif

I really hope this was your attempt at sarcasm. It also smells like that potted meat we love so much.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #232 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You had better quote relevant portions. I doubt if they'll click through to something they know in advance doesn't agree with their impressions.
See ya
Steve

If someone is as ignorant as you assume, he or she isn't worth the words anyway.
Let the doomed go down, and try to save the interested.
wink.gif

But anyway, here's the essence:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man
I'm also willing to back that up!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun
Go ahead!

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #233 of 293
SACD-Man is the new U.S. reseller for Qables, hence the sales pitch.
rolleyes.gif

Silver is better than copper because Qables chose to use a particular material for the dielectric? Doesn't make much sense...

From past silver vs. copper debates, it seems that the only real difference between the two materials is that silver has higher conductivity and lower resistivity than copper. Increase the size of the copper in the cable and the benefits of silver will disappear.

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #234 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

Silver is better than copper because Qables chose to use a particular material for the dielectric? Doesn't make much sense...

From past silver vs. copper debates, it seems that the only real difference between the two materials is that silver has higher conductivity and lower resistivity than copper. Increase the size of the copper in the cable and the benefits of silver will disappear.

Ah, i see. What once seemed like total gibberish does in fact make perfect sense now.

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #236 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

Indeed, isnt that a breach of the terms of use as the poster is a member of the trade, both by advocating "his" products unbidden and pointing to his own sale on eBay ?

Dec 15, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #238 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If someone is as ignorant as you assume, he or she isn't worth the words anyway.
Let the doomed go down, and try to save the interested.

In a recent thread on jitter, I learned something very interesting about the techniques that people use to continue arguing a point long after it's been disproven. It goes something like this...

The first poster states something that is factually incorrect as his "opinion".

Another person comes in and answers the error with information that proves him wrong. They offer supporting evidence, citations and links to sources.

The first poster totally ignores the answer and instead of coming up with counter arguments, he uses ad hominem attacks and other argumentative techniques to divert attention away from the argument, whipping the thread into a froth in the process.

The people with evidence to support their opinions get diverted onto defending themselves from the attacks for post after post. The thread devolves into a bunch of comments like "Sez you!" and "How dare you!"

The first poster waits until a few pages of off topic blather build up on top of the post that proved them wrong. They wait until things quiet down and then post the exact same factual error as "opinion" again, knowing no one will plow back through all the blather to stumble across that one solitary post that nailed them dead to rights. They've effectively made the truth a needle in a haystack.

The only way to deal with this kind of deliberate obfuscation is to keep citing the evidence and linking to the sources. Even though you may have read through every post in the thread and consider it redundant to keep pointing to the same fact over and over, these people are counting on other people not taking the time to do that. They bank on the fact that those coming into the thread a few pages in haven't seen the answer that completely blows their "opinion" out of the water.

I probably could state this a little clearer if I took the time to reword some of this, but I think you get my point.

See ya
Steve

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #240 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course it does.
Every EE can calculate the influence of these values for you. Chances are just that you may not like the answer you'll get.

At this point, i feel it's time for ""the mother of all reasonable cable posts":

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2813426-post91.html

I used this first or second post. And I quoted it. Its much like Steve says. Ignored all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back