Why do 99.9% of ipod users use the apple buds?
Jun 8, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #31 of 85
If I can make another point, it would this - there are audio snobs at the upper end of this crazy hobby who would look at most of the kit discussed here with unveiled contempt. I'm not just talking DAPs either - I'm talking about many of the DACs that we lust after, and dont even get me started on the bulk of the headphone amp market. To those folk, WE are the kid with the buds crammed into his ear, headbanging along to our favorite tunes - personally, I can live with that.

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #33 of 85
A couple year ago, the head-fi community praised the sennheiser mx500 as a cheap budget earphone that should come with every mp3 player and was a good well rounded earphone.

More recently, apple uses foster drivers in their ipod earphone that are similar to the foster driver in the mx500 bringing it to the same level, yet people in head-fi still complain.

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #34 of 85

Quote:
Because Apple's buds aren't that bad.

I think they're alright, but they don't fit in my ears very well. If they did, I'd probably use them in a portable rig.

Same reason I lef the stock audio system in my car. It's good enough.

If I want to enjoy great sound, I do it at home, where it's practical to run open headphones, speakers, use vacuum tubes, and spin vinyl.

You don't have to be a total snob about everything.

Agree with Uncle Erik.  I use my Apple buds when I work out or there is a chance my other headphones can get damaged.

Maybe their Apple buds are good enough for them and they are happy with it.  What has me curious is why so many of you are so concerned about what other people use.  If it works for them and they are happy with it, who cares?

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #35 of 85
I use mine when I need to hear whats going on around me, like in the office. Or as a loaner.If they stayed in, I'd use them while running too, so i dont sweat into my IEMs.

I'll use them to listen to something, but ill use my rig to enjoy my music

Most people enjoy their music just fine without needing to hear sub-bass, or a massive soundstage. The second someone notices "Hey, this would be more fun with more bass", its a starting point to more expensive gear.

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #36 of 85
because ibuds really aren't terrible. when you buy an ipod they come with them and most people will never spend money on headphones so they use them. i use to own a pair before they broke and i thought they were clear but it had no bass. i found them relatively boring. i think once people realize they can get better for cheap (maybe not cheap but like $30 iems which when i was younger i thought was a ridiculous price) then they might start to get into their music more. also keep in mind most people aren't that into music like a lot of us on here are. never the less some of us made ti here didn't we. heck i started out with ibuds and dollar store headphones. and at the time i couldn't be happier.

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #37 of 85
You people need to get with the program and start spending money - a LOT more money. Its all about the gear, people, the gear.

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #38 of 85

Quote:
Because Apple's buds aren't that bad.

I think they're alright, but they don't fit in my ears very well. If they did, I'd probably use them in a portable rig.

Same reason I lef the stock audio system in my car. It's good enough.

If I want to enjoy great sound, I do it at home, where it's practical to run open headphones, speakers, use vacuum tubes, and spin vinyl.

You don't have to be a total snob about everything.

I agree with Uncle Erik. For 99% of the population, the stock ibuds are good enough. I myself used to wonder why earbuds/earphones can cost more than the ipod itself. It's like buying tires that cost more than the car. 

IMO, I don't think people buy ipods as a status thing. I think it's more due to the fact that they aren't really aware of what else is out there. iPods are sold everywhere, are well marketed, and everyone has one, so they can't be that bad, right? Before coming to this forum, I've never even heard of brands like Cowon, Sennheiser, AKG, Westone, etc. They just aren't well marketed or readily available.

I really think we should care less about what other people are using or doing unless it's causing harm to others. I don't walk around telling people they're stupid for using stock tires on a car when the tires I use are wayyy better (even though they are =P).

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #39 of 85

Quote:

I agree with Uncle Erik. For 99% of the population, the stock ibuds are good enough. I myself used to wonder why earbuds/earphones can cost more than the ipod itself. It's like buying tires that cost more than the car. 

IMO, I don't think people buy ipods as a status thing. I think it's more due to the fact that they aren't really aware of what else is out there. iPods are sold everywhere, are well marketed, and everyone has one, so they can't be that bad, right? Before coming to this forum, I've never even heard of brands like Cowon, Sennheiser, AKG, Westone, etc. They just aren't well marketed or readily available.

the only real competitor of the ipod is the zune and they are hard to find.

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #40 of 85

Quote:
the only real competitor of the ipod is the zune and they are hard to find.

Yeah, I lost my ipod Touch a while back, and although I replaced it with another iPod Touch, the Zune was something I was looking into. The main reason I picked up another iPod was simply because I really like the ipod's apps, and the overall interface and feel of the product. Apple should thank Angry Birds for helping them make another sale. =P

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #42 of 85
Jun 8, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #44 of 85

Quote:

this is what i found

Quote:
The tweets are from a writer at BLOOMBERG, not an MS employee.

MS has since come back with a statement saying the news is basically false,
http://anythingbutipod.com/201...

"Here’s what you should know – ALL consumer electronics products have a lifespan, and the Zune HD is 18mo old. We were completely frank about this year’s Zune hardware being the WP7 phones, and we continue to both sell and fully support the Zune HD line of products. And as I’ve promised – we continue to bring new apps and games to the platform. More of those are in the works, I promise you.

I manage business development for Zune hardware, and I still have that job. Our PR folks released a statement today that included the text: “We’ll share more information about the evolution of the Zune entertainment service and Zune hardware as future plans develop.”

To be 100% clear – NO information about our future plans, no matter what the incarnation, has been shared. Until then treat with healthy skepticism anything you read. That’s probably a good general rule actually.

So for those who tweeted or emailed asking what I’m “going to do now” – I’ll be going to work tomorrow, working on Zune hardware bizdev. And when Microsoft announces news that is actually news, you’ll hear it from us directly, and I’ll be sure to pass it on immediately. Only then should you take it as gospel."

personally if they sold zunes in canada i would jump at the opportunity to get one. i never was that much of an apple fan. and i hate itunes with a passion. only thing i like about apple is the warranty. the main reason i want a zune is so my favorite media player software (zune software) is syncable with my mp3 player. yes i have been using zune software for over a year now and i can say safely it is my absolute favorite media player.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #45 of 85
bcasey: The 2nd article I linked to says that Zune HD was released on Canada, via the Zune Originals store?
On a side note, Zune was never available here in Singapore, so at least y'all got some choices in N. America...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back