Why do 90% of the people use iPod/iPhone as their portable player?
Feb 24, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #31 of 124
For me, I really like the way iTunes syncs playlists to my iPod. I simply change the songs, plug it in and away we go. I also REALLY like the user interface. I have used the Clip, with and without Rockbox, the Fuze and a variety of older Sansa and Phillips MP3 players. I think the UI of the iPod is the best. I don't use the iPhone, so I can speak to it.

So many people talk about SQ. In my case, when I use my iPod, I may be puttering around the house, reading a book or magazine, reading email at work, etc. In other words, most of the time, it is background music. When I do serious listening, I will often put in a CD in my home theater system or put on my HD595s and listen to my Classic. The SQ may not be the best, but it is good enough for me to enjoy the music.

Just one person's opinion.

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #32 of 124
Funny how the OP has missed that there are very good EQ apps forr the last three months and that EQ-induced distortion went the way of the dodo in OS 4.0. Regular iPods (classic and nano) I have no idea about, but the endless and uninformed talk by Apple haters is, as ever it was, good for a laugh. 

EQ's: EQu and Equalizer.

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #33 of 124
As others have pointed out, there are lots of reasons. Some of it is just that Apple was the first to change the game and that gave them a big head start in market share. And they did it again in the world of smartphones with the iPhone (although their phone market is now slipping).

A huge reason is the "ecosystem" that's grown up around the iPod/iPhone. Nearly every car maker now offers an iPod/iPhone interface in their most or all of their cars. You can use the dock connector and control your Apple device from the factory stereo. And most of us own cars. So right there Apple has a giant advantage.

And now you can remotely unlock, and even start your car from your iPhone. I'm not aware of any car maker with a full featured "dock" to any non-Apple device. Although, given that Microsoft is behind the Sync/MyTouch system, perhaps we'll see a Zune and/or Windows Phone 7 dock someday.

And in home audio, nearly every major manufacture offers some form of iPod dock or iPod interface for their receivers and sound systems. Just like in the car, you can run your iPod/iPhone from the remote for your home A/V system which is a big plus--and something you can't directly do with any other brand of player. There are even dozens of "clock radio" docks for iPods/iPhones. What other company has this kind of third party support?

Apple also manages to keep updating their products on an aggressive development cycle that keep people buying new ones. They make the new generation even more desirable than the last and keep most of their customers from buying non-Apple products even when their Apple stuff dies.

Are iPods/iPhones the best in their class? In some ways they sometimes are or have been. But they also have lots of negatives. Apple has done an amazing job of getting their customers to focus on all the things they do well and much less on the closed architecture, obnoxious practices, unloved iTunes, bad antennas, overloaded wireless networks, functionality problems, etc.

And, as others have said, Apple cranks out sexy, desirable products that make people "ooh and ah" when they first see, touch and use them. Ever been in an Apple Store? They're always jammed with people leaving their drool all over whatever they're fondling.

As most know "Sex Sells", and in the case of Apple, you just have to add one letter: "Sexy Sells"

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #34 of 124
Are there any EQs for the iPod Classic?
triportsad.gif

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #36 of 124
Seriously, how many times are we going to have the same dingdong 'debate' ? If people want to use a phone as a DAP, an iPad as a DAP, a netbook as a DAP or whatever, I couldnt give a hoot. Apple sell a lot of iDevices - some good, some not so good - but we still have other options. It really isnt worth getting hot under the collar over.

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #37 of 124

Quote:
Err I don't see how you can get any EQs for a Classic since it doesn't load Apps.
Unless you Rockbox it.

I've already looked into that... Rockbox doesn't support the newest generation.

I have also tried setting a custom EQ to specific songs and then syncing (the procedure Apple recommends) but I can't get that to work either.

This is my only gripe with the iPod. Oh well.

EDIT: I just looked on the Rockbox site and dug a little deeper. It looks like they have a "very early build targeted at experienced users" available for the classic. I've been messing around with it for an hour and can't get it to work. Hopefully they will come out with a stable version eventually.
Link: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodClassicPort

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #38 of 124

Quote:
Seriously, how many times are we going to have the same dingdong 'debate' ? If people want to use a phone as a DAP, an iPad as a DAP, a netbook as a DAP or whatever, I couldnt give a hoot. Apple sell a lot of iDevices - some good, some not so good - but we still have other options. It really isnt worth getting hot under the collar over.

Agreed, but OP seemed to want to know why. I think we've given good reasons why someone would, even if OP himself isn't swayed by them (which is another matter altogether).

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #39 of 124

Quote:
Are there any EQs for the iPod Classic?
triportsad.gif

Quote:
Err I don't see how you can get any EQs for a Classic since it doesn't load Apps.
Unless you Rockbox it.

Quote:

I've already looked into that... Rockbox doesn't support the newest generation.

I have also tried setting a custom EQ to specific songs and then syncing (the procedure Apple recommends) but I can't get that to work either.

This is my only gripe with the iPod. Oh well.

EDIT: I just looked on the Rockbox site and dug a little deeper. It looks like they have a "very early build targeted at experienced users" available for the classic. I've been messing around with it for an hour and can't get it to work. Hopefully they will come out with a stable version eventually.
Link: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodClassicPort

Rockbox is currently under development in the RB community - and the SQ of the classic (my 7G 160gb model) is actually quite good. Even tho, I'm waiting for my RB on my classic.

As for why I have an iPhone 4: simple for the ENTIRE household to use (4 in the house now - all of us 100% happy, couldn't say that w/MinMo 6-6.5, Blackberry OS, or Android), the SQ in iOS 4 is great - the EQ has NO CLIPPING - unlike previous versions of the OS, the EQu & Equalizer apps add even more SQ options, the simplicity & usability is better than almost all other phone OS's to date (WP7 is up & coming - will be great soon), the one-step iTunes app that everyone hates is excellent for media sync (but you can use other apps for tunes if desired), the battery life is better than the Android phones I owned (and the BB Storm I suffered through).

Personally, I find all the threads pertaining to this subject to be quite tiring nowadays - search the forum & locate past threads, this is a dead non-issue nowadays. And yeah, advertising, us iPhone/touch users being stupid, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. Please, move ON.

Feb 25, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #40 of 124
Because my iphone is my phone and not to mention one of the best portable sounding device out there. 2 birds with one stone :)

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #41 of 124

Quote:
Because my iphone is my phone and not to mention one of the best portable sounding device out there. 2 birds with one stone :)

2 years ago I probably would have gone all jihadi and told you that the Sony X was a better portable device for music, but now I'm less certain of that - I will only say that the Sony has a superior amp. The 6G Nano opened my eyes to Apple's ability to build great sonics into their iDevices.

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #42 of 124
About 3 years back I bought a Sony A818(?) and while the SQ was great (but not better than my Nano), the amplification was WEAK.  100% volume of the Sony equalled 80% of the Nano.

I see the current Sony "845" is a mere 5.5 millowats so I am not interested in Sony until they at least put 7mw (my guess) into there units like Ipod does.  It is dumb to require an amp with IEM's and a poratble player.

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #43 of 124
I dont know whats up with all the Apple bashing around here. The truth is that iPhones and iPods are about the only "convergence devices" that are, cool, decently priced for their functions, well built AND satisfy audiophille requirements through the use of line outs and true digital optical out docks like from brands like wadia or onkyo.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #44 of 124

Quote:
I dont know whats up with all the Apple bashing around here. The truth is that iPhones and iPods are about the only "convergence devices" that are, cool, decently priced for their functions, well built AND satisfy audiophille requirements through the use of line outs and true digital optical out docks like from brands like wadia or onkyo.

This......

and to the OP and people alike who question why ipods are so popular...
before even asking this question, have you actually considered what those 90% of the population use for headphones or earphones?? why fret about the source when you see almost 9 out of 10 people with portable players matched with cheap ibuds, earphones etc. that come with most players, and never even consider buying better HPs? seriously, isn't it obvious how high a priority sound quality is for the average person?

and mind you, I agree with yifu on the merits of apple DAPs. so I say that those 90% of the population did pretty damn good with their choice considering sound quality is not so much a priority...

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #45 of 124
Good replies in this thread. I used to be all 'NER NER NOT LISTENING, ANYTHING BUT APPLE, APPLE SUCKS!!1'...

I now own an iPhone 3GS, will be upgrading to an iPhone 5 in June, a Mac Mini '10, their mouse/keyboard, Apple TV e.t.c. My current dream portable rig is a 128GB Touch (when they release it) paired with the AlgoRhythm Solo DAC, Arrow amp and some custom IEMS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back