Why did YOU buy an Ultrasone?
Nov 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Junh

New Head-Fier
I don't get why people still buy these trash cans.
They are one of the most horrendous headphones I have ever listened to.
Is anyone willing to tell me why they bother with this brand?
I mean, you guys spend 2k+ on the higher end products.
I really want to know.

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 33
Ultrasone?  Got my HFI-580s because I needed a good pair for electronica and more bassy music.  So far they've not disappointed. Excellent build, excellent bass, and modern looks.  Everything I'd expected out of them... but they can be a bit bright at times. 

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 33
my 780s were my first pair of real headphones. and after testing out a few other models made by other models, i gotta say, i love my ultrasones. i can appreciate they may not be for everybody, but if they are as bad as you say they are. whats your definition of good??

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 33
eh. when it comes to phones... Ultrasone has their own personal taste that stands out more than other headphone brands.... its all opnion... but I [refer and enjoy their sound

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:
I really want to know.

Heya,

1. Some of the models look absolutely classy.
2. Build quality is excellent.
3. Sound quality is decent on some models.
4. Efficient.

Ultrasone makes good headphones. Unfortunately their signature sound is very love or hate. I like some of their headphones, hate others. But I feel the same way about Sennheiser frankly.

Very best,

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 33
edited out see below.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 33
Don't feed the troll guys, this is from his other post...
Looks to me that the impressions of others is the key feature.
popcorn.gif

Quote: Junh
  1. Less than $400
  1. Good sound quality, obviously (doesn't have to be like WOW)
  1. Sexy, and I'm using this word because I feel like you people's definition of cool or good looking doesn't quite cut it for me.
  2. Portable. This is a must. I don't want long cables (and if there are long cables, is there any device or method to shorten the cables? If so, please enlighten me.)
  3. Studio Quality, I make songs very frequently. I record guitar and bass just for reference. I don't know how I've survived this far with a pair of Ink'd earbuds...
  4. Comfortable, to the point where I could wear the headphones for days straight.
  5. Durable, Must last for at least 3 years before they start breaking.
  6. Looking for headphones that will knock the socks off of my friends (both when they see them and listen to them)

And then to come here and call Ultrasones Trash...
mad.gif

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:
I really want to know.

Which ultrasone headphone did you listen to? I do agree that some of ultrasones headphones sounded quite bad to me (Pro 900), but I recently purchased the ultrasone signature pro and so far I love it, it's considered by many to be the best closed headphone currently in production. Ultrasone headphones aren't bad by any means, but I would understand if you hated their lower end models since they tend to be really bright and colored (It's a really polarizing thing), but they are more than capable of making good headphones as I'm finding the sig pro excellent so far. I'm not saying the Pro and HFI series is bad, but it truly is a love or hate thing which is why many people dislike them.

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:
I'm happy with my Pro 900s, have had them for about a month. Wanted a pair of cans with good bass but more clarity than the Beats and that's what I got.

I disliked it because I prefer present mids and neutral bass, and the pro 900 has a LOT of bass and recessed mids which is why I disliked it so much. If you're a basshead, your music preferances don't center much around vocals, guitars, etc. (or if you don't care much about mids), and you're not sensitive to hot treble, the pro 900 is a great headphone for you. As I said, the pro 900 is a very polarizing headphone so it's all a matter of taste.

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #12 of 33
And so... A thread originally created to bash Ultrasones has turned into an appreciation thread.

Oh... Think I'm gonna get the HFI-2400 next.  Want that bass, but with an open ended sound.  Should be amusing. 

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #13 of 33
Stellar build quality and very deep, powerful (yet somehow not boomy) bass, but I departed with mine after realizing I couldn't really listen to them for more than 20 minutes at a time without listening fatigue. The HFI 580s are the headphones I've owned that come closest to the sound signature of an SPL car audio system and Beyer is probably the only other brand occupying the same price levels with such solid construction.

Like MalVeauX said, very love it/hate it sound signature. He compared to Sennheiser.
I'll compare to Grado, which I can appreciate, but not really listen to for any length of time.

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #14 of 33
I'm looking forward to the arrival of mine.....

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #15 of 33
It's not a matter of sound signature or preferences. They are overpriced garbage. FR is one thing, but they cannot distinguish any musical information. Just put the poo in your face. If people like these, they need to admit to liking headphones that are poor (in music/sound reproduction) on an objective scale. Simple as that. 

Troll or not, OP is right! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back