Why can't I bring myself to like the DT880's?
May 15, 2013 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Senpai3330

100+ Head-Fier
I've tried them through my D100 >> Bottlehead Crack combo so I don't think it's that I'm not properly powering them. I've even put in the effort of a high quality recable and new pads.

I just find them incredibly un-involving. I really thought about it, and it might be the lack of lower bass rumble and extension. The bass is tight, but the actual punch feels wimpy, like being hit with a marshmallow. My HD650's on the other hand grab my attention within seconds and keeps me focused on whatever is playing. Is the HD650 camp really that much farther into the dark side though?

Note: these are the 600 ohm version.

May 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 18
There are a few things to consider:

Volume levels of each as one is closed it will tend to sound louder than the open HD-650 at low volumes.  This may play with the control of the driver as the power drawn from your amp may be lower at lower listening levels.

If we take a look at the frequency response curves and frankly the 50 Hz and 500 Hz square wave responses the headphones are strikingly similar.

Frequency Response:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=953&graphID[]=853&scale=30

50 Hz Square Wave:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=3&graphID[]=953&graphID[]=853&scale=30

500 Hz Square Wave:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=4&graphID[]=953&graphID[]=853&scale=30

The fact that the HD-650 is open gives rise to more natural sounding bass as it avoids intraresonator reflection and distortion.

The second thing to look into is that because the DT 880 is semi-open instead of completely open it is probably a little more revealing and simply lacks the dynamic bass that the HD-650 can have.  This is just the way the headphone sounds.  If you want a headphone with a much different sound signature try the Denon AH-D2000 if you can find one.

May 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 18
I had the same experience with the two dt 880's I owned. I just found to be too clinical and detached. Which works for some music but in the just didn't cut it as my reference can. What type music do you listen to? From the headphones I've owned the ath ad2000 was most involving and got your toes tapping. The ms-pros were also fairly involving but also fairly balanced.

May 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 18
May 16, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
I meant semi-open which to me represents semi-sealed.  Original post edited.

Ah, you're a glass half empty man.

Actually I'm not sure the rest of your post would withstand close examination either, especially the last two paragraphs ("intraresonator reflection and distortion"?), but since your avatar reveals you as being only about 8 years old and wearing K-Mart headphones I won't labour the point.
tongue.gif

May 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 18
I'm a pretty eclectic listener.

My last.fm insists I indulge in a lot of synth-pop and general electronica, female vocals, hard rock, folk, and throw in some ambient instrumental stuff (which I can see the HD650 excelling in).

May 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 18
I saw a pair in the FS section and my sidegrade-itis almost made me pull the trigger, but I want to go up to an LCD-2 soon and have to cut unnecessary expenses (which is a lie considering there's RE262's and a FiiO E12 in the mail...)

I think I'll keep the DT880's and keep trying them with warm coloured amps. They're also a bit hard to sell since they're terminated in a 4-pin XLR now.

What is suggested material to listen to? Any specific albums or tracks? I'd love some recommendations I just want to give them a second chance.

May 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #11 of 18
in the beyer midfi series, dt770 n dt990 has more BASSss..
the dt880 sound presentation is more balanced n standoff-ish,
i use it for big classical pieces generally, not so much vocals..
the seinheissers has a closer presentation..
the hd650 is delicious for vocals.

( i was using a Little dot mk3 then )

May 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #14 of 18
I find the DT880 models very neutral sounding to my ears, probably you need to step up to the DT990. They have more emphasized bass, and big soundstage. 

May 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
I find the DT880 models very neutral sounding to my ears, probably you need to step up to the DT990. They have more emphasized bass, and big soundstage. 

This point is very well-argued. 

The OP apparently doesn't like phones on the "neutral" side. It only makes sense that a fun phone like the DT990 would make more sense. Also, it would make sense to attend an event that would allow you to listen to other phones. For example, the Grado SR225 has good definition, bass, and snap. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back