Why buy a CD player?
Apr 15, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #61 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dexter3d is just trolling you, dude

No I'm not. We had quite a nice chat, btw (at least this is what I think). And it was not me who started or intentionally provoked the OT discussion about ethics, law etc. I was told I'm wrong and I responded. Aight?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #62 of 86
I think you are wrong, besides if someone asks me politely I would happily lend the album. Go ahead rip the music just keep my album in one piece and give it back.

Nope, no downloads for me and you shouldn't underestimate good hardware, including CDs.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #63 of 86
I like how this thread has shifted from cd players to Monet and the ethics of copying CDs. I feel there is a certain pride and respect given when one buys and holds onto physical media rather than copying it and selling it off. Its like buying a book then photocopying it into a PDF and sticking it in a beige folder on your hard drive. I like to display the things that influence and move me. IMO a rack full of cds/vinyl is much more impressive than a full hard drive.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Apr 15, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #64 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are wrong, besides if someone asks me politely I would happily lend the album. Go ahead rip the music just keep my album in one piece and give it back.

Nope, no downloads for me and you shouldn't underestimate good hardware, including CDs.

That's how I feel about the whole thing. About lending my friends music, I have no problem lending them an album fully cognizant that they will rip it and give it back. I always choose to support the market (I usually buy used, sorry) and I will probably never sell my CDs, I love having the physical disc.

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #65 of 86
Hate to keep going off topic here but I'm gonna add my 2 cents to this argument. I just want to put this in perspective here. Whats the difference from selling that CD on eBay and the classifieds section here? Those people are done with their headphones and no longer have any need with them and they are passing on the savings to the next owner. So what you are saying is that this is hurting the headphone companies? And the right thing to do is just give their old gear away? Yup, that makes sense...

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #66 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by ihrm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hate to keep going off topic here but I'm gonna add my 2 cents to this argument. I just want to put this in perspective here. Whats the difference from selling that CD on eBay and the classifieds section here? Those people are done with their headphones and no longer have any need with them and they are passing on the savings to the next owner. So what you are saying is that this is hurting the headphone companies? And the right thing to do is just give their old gear away? Yup, that makes sense...

I have no issue with selling CDs or the used CD market. Your analogue does not work since you are not making a copy of the headphone and keeping it while selling the original.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #69 of 86
I have to admit, sometimes I miss having a CDP. I love the convenience of using my Macbook Pro & yes, even my AppleTV, as transports playing ALAC files. However, there are times I miss the ritual. I actually maintain my listening habits of using physical media--I don't do random shuffle ever, and I tend to listen to entire albums rather than playlists (due to lack of volume leveling more than anything else since Apple's SoundCheck degrades SQ).

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #71 of 86
What is a CD? Is it similar to a floppy disk cavemen used when dinosaurs walked the earth?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #72 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry he is right, I have bought many headphones, put them on my hard drive, and sold the physical copy. Good way to get a big headphone collection.

Ya just gotta' love the sarcasm around this place.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #73 of 86
My University Library has about 3,000-5,000 CDs I can rent out (majority of it is classical, folk, jazz, and more CDs which I believe are audiophile recordings). I don't have a CD player (but I have my computer set up), and most of the CDs are not in good condition. I just FLAC them so I would able to listen to them in the first place.

Some people say it is ok, some say it is not, but when you can rent out 40 CDs at a time and just FLAC them for free that is really tempting.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #74 of 86
typically, Audiophiles (those that know how to computer) would refuse a computer as a legitimate source based on the fact that HardDrives contain many moving parts, and sensitive audio systems most definitely pick up on this.

Traditional thinking is also intertwined in all this- A lot of the older audiophiles i know would consider it blasphemy to spend more on an amplifier or speakers than on the source (as i given looks of disgust when i spent more on speakers than on my amplifier!). After the source, the sound quality can only be degraded- therefore, if the source is bad you arent doing very well to begin with.

There are other small factors as well. For example, not every wire in your computer is going to be shielded- the audio signal is pretty much running through a mess of electrical engineering which can impact upon the sound; CD players are designed for one thing only, so every component is created with this purpose.

However, i think you will see a huge shift toward what was proposed by OP in the intial post of this thread.

Due to the technology advances in Solid State Harddrives and proliferation of high quality audio downloads on the net (Apple lossless, .flac, .wav), i expect this to change and i think there will be a huge increase in computers made to be used primarily as a source.

just my 2 cents

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #75 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebigcanman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
typically, Audiophiles (those that know how to computer) would refuse a computer as a legitimate source based on the fact that HardDrives contain many moving parts, and sensitive audio systems most definitely pick up on this.

Traditional thinking is also intertwined in all this- A lot of the older audiophiles i know would consider it blasphemy to spend more on an amplifier or speakers than on the source (as i given looks of disgust when i spent more on speakers than on my amplifier!). After the source, the sound quality can only be degraded- therefore, if the source is bad you arent doing very well to begin with.

There are other small factors as well. For example, not every wire in your computer is going to be shielded- the audio signal is pretty much running through a mess of electrical engineering which can impact upon the sound; CD players are designed for one thing only, so every component is created with this purpose.

However, i think you will see a huge shift toward what was proposed by OP in the intial post of this thread.

Due to the technology advances in Solid State Harddrives and proliferation of high quality audio downloads on the net (Apple lossless, .flac, .wav), i expect this to change and i think there will be a huge increase in computers made to be used primarily as a source.

just my 2 cents

I understand what you are saying and i am not saying that you are agreeing with that school of thought. But to me it seems a little ridiculous that all those things that you mentioned would be enough to seriously impact the SQ.

But i just prefer cds i like the way my setup sounds and i like having physical cds. I mostly listen to music with my cdp. In fact it is almost impossible to get through a whole album if i am not using my cdp. But since i got the zunepass i have been listening to more music on my comp and zune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back