Why buy a CD player?
Apr 15, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #31 of 86
I will continue to use cd players because they have lasted longer than my computers. I only listen to a few discs at a time so I don't really need a music server.

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #32 of 86
I understand people stuck with using the horse and buggy for a good bit of time too
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #34 of 86
With contemporary technology, CD playback makes no sense. Quality-wise, current external DACs and computers as transports do not lag behind, and offer better customization (not talking here about uber-expensive stuff). In terms of comfort, nothing is better than having fast access to any of thousands of recordings. Downloading music online saves time, the quality of recordings stays the same, etc etc. You can buy a CD, rip it to PC, and sell it on ebay. You can build 0db fanless mini audio PC with a neat 3' lcd and CF 'SSD' for OS for like $80 excluding soundcard and music storage. You can pick up a used RME for digital out for $60.. I see only advantages, though I can understand people who have 1000cd collections and love rituals of inserting and spinning cd's
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #35 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by dexter3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can buy a CD, rip it to PC, and sell it on ebay.

Arggh!!! Do NOT do this. It is not a good argument for CDs. You may think this is right but it is not it is stealing. Sure while it is not as bad as sharing music online but it is still stealing and supporting this just gives the RIAA more ammo.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #37 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arggh!!! Do NOT do this. It is not a good argument for CDs. You may think this is right but it is not it is stealing. Sure while it is not as bad as sharing music online but it is still stealing and supporting this just gives the RIAA more ammo.

Uhh, we won't agree here. If you want to know my ethical position on all this, I suggest you to watch the South Park episode "Christian Rock Hard"
smily_headphones1.gif
Musicians, if they are true artists, should make money (and they do) from live gigs. The impossibility to have your piece 'protected' will inevitably push to that direction, and IMO, it's good for everyone. And there are a lot of good musicians who just don't give a ... about all this. Another food for thought - there are places in the world where folks simply can't afford listening to original Michel Camilo or Charlie Parker. Does it mean that they should be depraved of best jazz just because they're poor? Stealing analogy does not work here, because great artists do not belong just to themselves.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #38 of 86
Are you referring to the episode in which Cartman starts a christian rock band to win a bet he made with Stan?

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #39 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you referring to the episode in which Cartman starts a christian rock band to win a bet he made with Stan?

Yup
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #41 of 86
Quote:

Uhh, we won't agree here. If you want to know my ethical position on all this, I suggest you to watch the South Park episode "Christian Rock Hard"
smily_headphones1.gif
Musicians, if they are true artists, should make money (and they do) from live gigs. The impossibility to have your piece 'protected' will inevitably push to that direction, and IMO, it's good for everyone. And there are a lot of good musicians who just don't give a ... about all this. Another food for thought - there are places in the world where folks simply can't afford listening to original Michel Camilo or Charlie Parker. Does it mean that they should be depraved of best jazz just because they're poor? Stealing analogy does not work here, because great artists do not belong just to themselves.

So it is ok for you to MAKE money off the artist? Seems like a thin argument to me. Now if you said you created a copy and GAVE away the original I *might* buy that argument, but you are saying to make money off of the artist by selling the original while maintaining possession of the copy.

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #42 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it is ok for you to MAKE money off the artist? Seems like a thin argument to me. Now if you said you created a copy and GAVE away the original I *might* buy that argument, but you are saying to make money off of the artist by selling the original while maintaining possession of the copy.

Hmm, I don't quite get it where I make money, by selling (most probably cheaper) a recording that I bought. That it stays in my PC is another thing, but I don't make any material profit out of this.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #43 of 86
Let's say everyone did what you do. Buy a cd, rip it to hard drive, sell cd. Repeat this 1 million times with the same cd. The artist makes some money for the first sale, but the other 999,999 times, it is a person to person transaction. Whether this is fair to the artist is for you to decide.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #44 of 86
Quote:

Hmm, I don't quite get it where I make money, by selling (most probably cheaper) a recording that I bought. That it stays in my PC is another thing, but I don't make any material profit out of this.

Well simple the content you maintain has VALUE whether you want to admit it or not, it does have value. If it did not then you would throw it out. You paid a certain amount for the CD + Content. You then keep the content and sold the CD + Content again for an amount. That content you keep still retains its value even though you sold the CD, so you made a profit.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #45 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's say everyone did what you do. Buy a cd, rip it to hard drive, sell cd. Repeat this 1 million times with the same cd. The artist makes some money for the first sale, but the other 999,999 times, it is a person to person transaction. Whether this is fair to the artist is for you to decide.

It will never be like this. And I don't do that, by the way, its just that I would feel perfectly right if I did. There will always be people buying original recordings and keeping them, especially if you buy one right after a gig and get it signed
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back