Why aren't Head-fi'ers more excited about the DT990/600?
Jun 1, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #61 of 69
Is there anything that the DT990's don't do well at? I have thrown just about every song  ranging from pop to R&B / Classical Rock to Vocal Trance  , and it seems these headphones will just make a mockery of me and continue to surprise me with spectacular results day-in, day-out.

I actually wrote a brief review of the 990/600 today. Nothing you guys haven't read before, but thought since i love these cans so much, why not just write one anyways for fun sake ! It was actually my first review, so don't expect too much.

here is link if anyone's interested   http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyer-dynamic-dt-990-premium-600-ohm-headphones/reviews#3813

It seems TheWuss also wrote his review on that link, but his was about 3 weeks ago I believe. 

Great cans, great cans indeed.
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #63 of 69
Nice reviews guys
k701smile.gif
I notice a lot of user's complain about "too much bass" with these cans,but tbh i never find the bass excessive or uncontrolled,its just right imo.
The treble on the other hand is prone to sibilance,especially when cold,but i must admit after about 10mins or so i don't really notice it anymore.
These can's are a joy to listen to and are great all-rounders,which is more than i can say about my hd650 and 701's.
If you listen to rock/pop these are the cans to get.
The soundstage on the beyers is also better than the senn's and akg's imo.

The ss of the senn's is small compared to the beyers although it does have more depth,i feel the tonal balance of the senn's sucks a lot of the life out of rock music,guitars lack attack and aggression,i find myself turning up the volume trying to get closer to the rather distant sounding music.
The 650's are way too polite sounding for rock.
Personally,if i listen to these late at night,im asleep within 30mins
rolleyes.gif
,the senn's strengths lie with other genre's imo.

The 701's are known for their large ss ,but again ,whilst good with rock ,the ss sounds distorted,artificially wide and stretched with little depth,they sound too cold and analytical compared to the beyers.
They also lack the bass to convey powerful synth lines and drums that are present in most rock music these days.
if you listen to acoustic music or female vocalists the 701's are hard to beat,but lack a lot for hard/prog rock music.
They don't put me to sleep though
dt880smile.png

The ss of the beyer's is larger than the senn's,smaller than the 701's ,and sound is far more "together" than than either.
If i could only keep one pair of can's.i'd keep the beyer's ,no competition.

Well that was longer than i intended
beyersmile.png
Please note ,these are my opinions using only rock music,im not knocking the hd's/701's ,they have strength's of their own,but the beyers are better than both at rock and are better all-rounders......IMO
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #65 of 69
I like my 32ohm DT990's, but the recessed mids are very noticeable and they sound somewhat boring when I make the switch from my Grados, but when I don't listen to my Grados they sound fine lol . 

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #66 of 69
Interesting to note that the FR graph shows that the dt990 aren't mid recessed, just boosted bass and treble.

Personally, when I first got my DT990 a few days ago I thought there was too much bass and that it wasn't controlled sounding. I thought it was like a voom voom type sound, but have since lost track of the too much bass. I am still interested in trying a pair of DT880, but the 990 are very good for their price.

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #67 of 69

Quote:
I like my DT990's, but the recessed mids are very noticeable and they sound somewhat boring when I make the switch from my Grados, but when I don't listen to my Grados they sound fine lol . 

x2,but most cans sound like they have recessed mids after listening to grado's
beyersmile.png

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #68 of 69
I have DT770Pro/250ohm

Would grabbing the non-pro 600ohm version be a noticeable difference?  I personally enjoy closed cans in my living environment.  Saw someone mention it earlier in this thread~

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #69 of 69
The 600ohm versions are the top versions (even beyer will tell you this). They are not as "U" shaped in their presentation. Actually the DT770/600s are the most balanced closed headphone I've ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back