Why are there no decent MP3 playing cans?
Jul 13, 2012 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DeadMan

100+ Head-Fier
I've been searching to see if there are any cans that have a built in MP3 player and all I can find are some Skullcandys and Trevi headphones which don't get very good reviews. I feel the manu's are missing a trick here. I would certainly pay reasonable money for a decent set of cans that had inbuilt MP3 playback. They could come with a detachable cable so you can use them as ordinary cans, have a decent battery life (if they can get a iPod Nano 6G to last that long it should not be hard) and good sound quality. There are plenty of bluetooth cans but the quality suffers and is liable to inference and you having to sync it with your phone. A good set of cans could have full control over the DAC, amp and battery life and would just need to take MicroSD cards. I doubt the cost would make it prohibitive. Sennheiser could make a decent pair for $150 or less.

Right now I have to suffer the cable dangling and carry either an iPod or use a stereo bluetooth adapter with my phone (Annoyingly my phone has the headphone out on the side which means I can't put it in my case then in my pocket. L shaped would not fit in either) .

I wish someone would step up to the bar.

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 12
I recently saw a pair of what I believe were AKG headphones with a very short custom cord that went from one of the smaller ipod models directly into the headphones detachable cable jack. The ipod clipped directly onto the headphone. I thought it was a very slick solution. 

I cant recall what thread I saw it in, but if I come across it again Ill point you to it. 

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 12
I have always wondered myself. In 05 I took my Ipod shuffle and taped it to a set of Panasonic headphones so there was no cord going anywhere when I went on bike rides.

It would be really cool if something well made existed. All I know about is stuff like the Mp3 Oakley sunglasses and stuff. There is no reason why they could not make a card reader player you could use with an amp built right inside of one of the driver housings. There are some China headphone players I have tried, but they sounded like crap. 

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 12
Well... instead of trying to find something which doesn't exist, you might just use some ingenuity... or get inspired by the creativity of your friends .etc

it's not hard at all

http://www.head-fi.org/t/518358/heavily-modified-portapro-wood-cups-included/15#post_7555812

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 12
^^Sweet PortaPro's with the clip!
Any howto on the "PortaPro Woodies"? 
cool.gif

Here are some True Blood V-80's (Very Nice!)

And the thread that came from... Nice set of CAL's in there too!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/589320/wireless-headphone-with-integrated-mp3-player-w-pic-for-diy

beerchug.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 12
Sorry PhrozenLife!

Must of been the time delay from "Winterpeg" 
tongue_smile.gif

I used to live in Lynn Lake, Manitoba back in the 60's... 
eek.gif

beerchug.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
I remember Brian from BTG Audio also considers making custom mods from customers if they're doable.
He made a "Wireless" mod when a customer presented the idea to him.
http://btg-audio.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=150957574

Edit: TrollDragon beat me to it. 
tongue.gif

Nice!

Though I guess there is really two ways and two different groups of people who need these wireless headphones. One group needs them light for sports as we all know what would happen to a heavy set of headphones if you were roller-blading or bike riding. The other group could use heavy headphones if they were just walking around. Not to brag but the set I made really seemed better than any I have seen here. A first generation I-Pod shuffle was taped to the middle band that goes around the back of your head on some middle sized Panasonic ear hangers.

[size=2.7em] RP HG 10 headphones

This was the direction they sit on your head

The Ipod was taped to the back of the headphones.
[/size]

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
^^Sweet PortaPro's with the clip!
Any howto on the "PortaPro Woodies"? 
cool.gif

well, just route some wood to your pad-diameter and glue everything together?
There is no step where I actually planed anything I just made 2 exact copies with the right diameter, no magic involved :p

glad you like them though.

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 12
Just followed your mod thread, nice job!
I must do this to a set as well.
Probably difficult to find a good set of ATH-2 pads, but many different pads are available in the wild. 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Just followed your mod thread, nice job!
I must do this to a set as well.
Probably difficult to find a good set of ATH-2 pads, but many different pads are available in the wild. 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

beware, after all tinkering, I'm a firm believer that the Portapro sounds best untouched.

new Headband -> okay, go for it, great comfort compared to the basic strap.
flat pads like the HD 414 -> still sounds the same.
any pad which changes the distance from your ear to the driver -> better soundstage, everything else suffers
Kramer-mod -> only if you are deaf (or like Grados... which comes close~) -> even more excessive treble.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
beware, after all tinkering, I'm a firm believer that the Portapro sounds best untouched.

Thanks for the tips roBernd I will definitely keep those in mind.
Also at $36 they are a economical headphone to mod.

I also want a set of Fostex T50RP's, no Thunderpants mod for sure but something from that massive thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back