Why are so many K701, 702 for sale?
Jul 1, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #31 of 79
If somebody who is not a headfi member and is a bit new to high quality headphones,buy the k701/702 and then search here and find that most people don't appreciate them so much,then he is gonna be affected and believe that they are not good,and then sell them to buy something which is more popular here at headfi.
And the irony is that some people may like their k701,but,because most people here blame them,they are tempted to sell them in order to buy something better(or something that has a rumor to be better here at head fi)

What's your opinion on this?

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #32 of 79
701s are hifi cans that needs 10 times more money to be drived properly. If you hear a plastic sound, that do not means the cans are unnatural, it is because something wrong with your system. Hd 650 and k701s were among the top range of this field for 10 years, they are not "mid fi", and are worth every penny of any hi-end equipment you fed them.

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #33 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If somebody who is not a headfi member and is a bit new to high quality headphones,buy the k701/702 and then search here and find that most people don't appreciate them so much,then he is gonna be affected and believe that they are not good,and then sell them to buy something which is more popular here at headfi.

And I really doubt that "most people don't like 701s". In fact I think there are more people like or love them rather than hate them here in headfi.

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #34 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I really doubt that "most people don't like 701s". In fact I think there are more people like or love them rather than hate them here in headfi.

Yeah,i agree with you,but i believe that many headfiers/newbies sell their k701 because they are not so popular here,and they think that if some experienced members say that they are not good,then that is true so they sell them to buy something else.
I'm pretty sure about this.

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #35 of 79
Quote:

Yeah,i agree with you,but i believe that many headfiers/newbies sell their k701 because they are not so popular here,and they think that if some experienced members say that they are not good,then that is true so they sell them to buy something else.
I'm pretty sure about this.

This is somewhat true, in a lot of forums, those who have a high post count will usually be able to convince newbies just about anything. Its all a matter of opinion, such as.. the best headphones my dad has heard are Bose QC3 and he loves them. He's read some reviews which said they're good so they must be since he agrees with the "experts".

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #36 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is somewhat true, in a lot of forums, those who have a high post count will usually be able to convince newbies just about anything. Its all a matter of opinion, such as.. the best headphones my dad has heard are Bose QC3 and he loves them. He's read some reviews which said they're good so they must be since he agrees with the "experts".

Yes,the experts,like experienced members(or members with high post counts as you said)in forums,or magazines which have reviews of audio equipment tend to convince people to buy specific audio gear.

But don't forget,everybody has it's own ears and preferences,so,everybody should trust it's own taste and also try to demo each audio related component before buying.

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #37 of 79
Quote:

Yes,the experts,like experienced members(or members with high post counts as you said)in forums,or magazines which have reviews of audio equipment tend to convince people to buy specific audio gear.

But don't forget,everybody has it's own ears and preferences,so,everybody should trust it's own taste and also try to demo each audio related component before buying.

Exactly, personally from my experience (earlier today actually) i'll be picking up a pair of 701's in the near-future. I can see how they wont be to everyones' tastes or suit every genre of music though.

Hmm... a little OT from why theres so many being sold *eyeroll*

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #39 of 79
Because new users buy with their wallets and not with their ears and the 701's are cheaper than the Senns. They then get them, dislike them because they have a strange sound to them and dump them used and then start buying headphones they will actually enjoy.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #40 of 79
A little off topic but Acix, did you check out the HD800? Uncle Erik says that the HD800 treble is good; some say that it is a little aggressive. The same goes about the K701 treble; some people say that it is plastic sounding and unnatural; while others like it!

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #42 of 79
Quote:

I think there are so many k701/k702 for sale because most people are too much affected by other people's opinions,and they think that if almost everybody here say they are bad/flawed then it's true.So they blindly trust all of them who blame these headphones,whether they like their headphones or not,and end up selling them.

Now that is heresy!!!!!!!!!!
atsmile.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #43 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little off topic but Acix, did you check out the HD800? Uncle Erik says that the HD800 treble is good; some say that it is a little aggressive. The same goes about the K701 treble; some people say that it is plastic sounding and unnatural; while others like it!

From the FR graph of the HD800 they have a lot more treble spikes 12-15khz, these are the super highs. In my experience, the sharp spikes in the Ultrasone and even the RS1, they will create a hollow feeling and even phase distortions. With the Ultrasone, these spikes can mellow out after 600 hours of burn in time. In the RS1, you'll hear the phase distortion in the mid-spike, but only sometimes. Now the question is if the burn in process will effect the new HD 800 and if they will mellow out. (If there is any burn in...too soon to know.)

I hope I get a chance to listen to them asap and I hope it will be with an SS amp. The tubes will probably smooth them out, so I don't know how audible the spikes would be on a tube amp, if at all.

AKG owners don't have this problem.
k701smile.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #44 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the FR graph of the HD800 they have a lot more treble spikes 12-15khz, these are the super highs. In my experience, the sharp spikes in the Ultrasone and even the RS1, they will create a hollow feeling and even phase distortions. With the Ultrasone, these spikes can mellow out after 600 hours of burn in time. In the RS1, you'll hear the phase distortion in the mid-spike, but only sometimes. Now the question is if the burn in process will effect the new HD 800 and if they will mellow out. (If there is any burn in...too soon to know.)

I hope I get a chance to listen to them asap and I hope it will be with an SS amp. The tubes will probably smooth them out, so I don't know how audible the spikes would be on a tube amp, if at all.

AKG owners don't have this problem.
k701smile.gif

Hmm... I eagerly await your tryst with the HD800!
biggrin.gif
Keep us updated...
wink.gif

Acix, another question...

A lot of the K701/2 bashers say that it has a tonally inaccurate mid-range.

As you do a huge amount of studio work, you would know best.

Have you ever recorded an acoustic instrument(violins especially) with the best possible microphone and checked whether its timbre is rendered faithfully with the K702?

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #45 of 79
Quote:

And the irony is that some people may like their k701,but,because most people here blame them,they are tempted to sell them in order to buy something better(or something that has a rumor to be better here at head fi)

What's your opinion on this?

I really don't think this is happening at head-fi, at least not that I've seen. The K701s have a pretty big following and they seem to be one of the more popular sets of cans. I haven't seen a lot of direct K701 bashing, mostly just "if you want them to sound the way they should then just give us your wallet".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back