Why are Headphone Amplifiers so expensive?
Apr 15, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #46 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
While I'm disinterested in debating more semantics of opinionating with you,

confused.gif

Quote:

I am very interested in being fair to the Little. What year model was yours?

I think it was a 1997 version.

Quote:

I wonder if they've changed over the years or I wonder if something else is at fault (maybe a bad power supply?). I was surprised to hear it clip, I really was.

Could be. If anything, based on the comments I've seen from Tyll, Todd, Danny, et. al., I would think that the current power supply is MUCH better than the ps on the one I owned.

FWIW, I'm sure it's possible to make the Little clip... I'm just saying that with three years of use, I never clipped mine. You would have to be using it at a very high volume!

Quote:

That aside, I do think cheaper amps are better off with cheaper headphones and that dead horse is running dry of blood. I don't expect the Little to magically transform into an amp that is of the same class as the HD600

No, that would be the Little with power supply and module upgrade
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2002 at 10:48 AM Post #47 of 69
Originally posted by MacDef
... and the truth is that people like Gaineso probably enjoy their HD600 out of an "inferior" amp as much as I do out of my Max

Yeah, I know that there are "Better", not "Superior" amps. So!!!!

I can't buy one right now. I have many priorities, and, for the next several months, upgrading audio is not one of them.

After I get the boat finished and a few doctor bills paid off, Probably.

A Little More Power Premium, or Cosmic probably. I'll hear them next month in Orlando.

In the mean time, I'm very glad I've got the 600's. They really sound great. As soon as I put them on, I forget all about the fact there "might" be better sources or amps. I emphasize MIGHT because, if you allow it to get in your head, there's always something a little better.

DON'T ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE CAUGHT UP IN THIS BS THAT YOU CAN ONLY ENJOY MUSIC FROM THE VERY BEST SYSTEMS. If something sounds good to you IT IS GOOD no matter what anyone else may say.

The original objective of being an audio hobbyist/enthusiast was to obtain/create enjoyable listening systems. It has degenerated into "Audiophilia" which, while not illegal unless you start stealing equipment to satisfy your desires, substitutes "enjoyment of equipment" for "enjoyment of music".

As I said before, LIGHTEN UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC.

Apr 15, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #48 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
DON'T ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE CAUGHT UP IN THIS BS THAT YOU CAN ONLY ENJOY MUSIC FROM THE VERY BEST SYSTEMS.

No one in this thread either said or implied this, ever. One method of debate is to change the other person's argument into an argument everyone disagrees with. My statement was not the above and attempting to put these words in other people's mouths is not going to serve your purpose here. My statement was: The HD600 does not perform as well with cheaper/smaller amps as other headphones and is thus, not as good a recommendation as other headphones that COST LESS AND SOUND BETTER.

If you want to disagree, fine. But disagree with the argument I'm making, not one you've conjured yourself.

Apr 15, 2002 at 3:17 PM Post #50 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
HD600 still sounds better out of weaker sources/amps than other headphones.
tongue.gif
Why do you think I use one for portable?

See, this is a proper disagreement with my assertion.
smily_headphones1.gif

I disagree with A&M about just about everything but at least we're on the right topic.

So, which headphones have you compared it to on weaker sources? I definitely feel the HD600 is better than the K501 on a weaker amp, so I'm not trying to say it's the bottom rung, just not as good as (per my example) the DT931.

Apr 15, 2002 at 3:20 PM Post #51 of 69
I'm obviously not serious.
biggrin.gif
I plan on bringing my portable rig to the HeadRoom tour to compare with other headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif
I need to give Beyer DT831 another try. Hope I like Etys.
smily_headphones1.gif
Cosmic loaner?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #52 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

No one in this thread either said or implied this, ever. One method of debate is to change the other person's argument into an argument everyone disagrees with. My statement was not the above and attempting to put these words in other people's mouths is not going to serve your purpose here. My statement was: The HD600 does not perform as well with cheaper/smaller amps as other headphones and is thus, not as good a recommendation as other headphones that COST LESS AND SOUND BETTER.

If you want to disagree, fine. But disagree with the argument I'm making, not one you've conjured yourself.

Nobody said that you were the one that came up with this BS that 'you can only enjoy music from the very best systems', either. Where did you get the idea that he's accusing you?

There's this Chinese saying...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Many people have 'properly disagreed' with you over this--gaineso loves his HD600 out of a TA, I like mine out of a Porta Corda, A&M likes it straight out of a portable.
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

But do you have to dictate the way in which other people are allowed to disagree with you now?
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 15, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #53 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Nobody said that you were the one that came up with this BS that 'you can only enjoy music from the very best systems', either. Where did you get the idea that he's accusing you?

So who did? Where in this thread has it been stated?

Quote:

But do you have to dictate the way in which other people are allowed to disagree with you now?
tongue.gif

Apparently I sometimes do. I feel compelled to when the disagreement is not with the assertions I have made. I have no problem with people disagreeing with my opinions--I do have a problem with words being put in my mouth.

And you're right, it wasn't necessarily me. So who was it, then?

Apr 15, 2002 at 5:39 PM Post #55 of 69
Oops, out of a portable to portable amp to HD600
redface.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 15, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #56 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDef
... and the truth is that people like Gaineso probably enjoy their HD600 out of an "inferior" amp as much as I do out of my Max

Just to be clear, gaineso... my post was in support of your position, not to say that you have a crappy amp
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #57 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Just to be clear, gaineso... my post was in support of your position, not to say that you have a crappy amp
wink.gif
[/QUOTE]

I took it that way, but I guess my reply didn't fully indicate my intentions. As I stated later on, I know there are better amps, but my point was, I am VERY happy with what I have, I will upgrade my amp later, and I appreciate those who have taken my views and my point as intended.

Jun 16, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #59 of 69
Wow!

Now that matching amps to headphones seems to be extremely important, what's a good match with the Corda HA-1? I was thinking about the Sennheiser 600's, but Jan Meier suggests the DT931. How well does the Corda power the 600?

Or to look at it from a different perspective, what's the minimum amp that will show the true worth of the 600's?

Michael

Jun 16, 2002 at 8:00 PM Post #60 of 69
Your home stereo receiver. I got the supreme amp and if you bought it would cost 450.00. My sony 500 watt. stereo receiver sounds very good and I would sell the supreme in a flash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back