Why are Headphone Amplifiers so expensive?
Apr 14, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #31 of 69
I just wanted to say that Jon and I are completely on the same page here so if his version was easier to swallow, that's what I meant to say.

As for Joe Bloggs, we're not even in the same library. And virtually everything he said about the RKV was factually wrong.

I also never called the RKV "reference", it has plenty of shortcomings.

This thread illustrates exaclty what I was trying to say. So thanks for that, anyway. :p

Apr 14, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #32 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
hey, there's no rule stating that integrated amps/receivers can't have good headphone outputs... NAD products certainly do.

I absolutely agree. The headphone jack on my NAD C350 integrated sounds good with Senn 600s. Very good. So good that if my other amps were to disappear tomorrow, I wouldn't panic. I really think this kind of setup would satisfy most people. I suspect a Headroom Little or Little More Power would be a step downwards.

Apr 14, 2002 at 7:28 AM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi
Hey, you know what we guys are doing?

Here was somebody, who had a simple question and we're scaring him away!

Don't make listening to music difficult when it's so easy.

Simple solution: Get the best headphones you can afford or a willing to spend at this time and forget about the amp for now.

Well, there are some people here that are scaring the guy away from buying even a basic amp that will probably at least be an upgrade over the headphone jack out of the Denon micro-hifi and scaring him away from the HD580/600 to boot.

A Corda, Porta Corda or even a JMT are all good headphone amps. Just because some people can't be satisfied by amps that cost less than $1000 doesn't mean that the rest of us mere mortals can't be satisfied by the sound out of $200 headphone amps.

Joe
rolleyes.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 14, 2002 at 8:28 AM Post #34 of 69
okay... I'm going to put a spin on this now...

I found yesterday that (one of) my favourite source(s) for my MDR-V6 is the headphone out of my D-EJ1000.

Does that make me unknowledgable... I don't think so... I think it means that i've found a synergy between components that 98% of people on this board would sooner discredit than listen to... thats not my fault if they're potentially missing out on good sound
smily_headphones1.gif

so... my advice... go with your ears, you'll be the one listening to the 'phones afterall
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2002 at 9:48 AM Post #35 of 69
OTOH, I guess I went a little overboard with that Mike Walker act
frown.gif

I guess I was just getting pissed off at kelly saying over and over again here and elsewhere that the 600 won't even 'begin' to show its potentials with <$1000 amps. And here I am, getting a replacement Porta Corda for $100...
rolleyes.gif

Then it seemed that there is a misfit between the RKV and the Senn because of impedance issues... and I jumped
very_evil_smiley.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 14, 2002 at 10:23 AM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
okay... I'm going to put a spin on this now...

I found yesterday that (one of) my favourite source(s) for my MDR-V6 is the headphone out of my D-EJ1000.

Does that make me unknowledgable... I don't think so... I think it means that i've found a synergy between components that 98% of people on this board would sooner discredit than listen to... thats not my fault if they're potentially missing out on good sound
smily_headphones1.gif

so... my advice... go with your ears, you'll be the one listening to the 'phones afterall
smily_headphones1.gif

I strongly agree...the V6's sound dynamite out of just about anything...part of the reason why I am such an unabashed fan of these phones...

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:02 AM Post #37 of 69
I will go away. MOST have seen and at least acknowledged my point:::

ENJOY THE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:06 AM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
ENJOY THE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Hear Hear!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #39 of 69
HappymaN said:

Quote:

Why are Headphone Amplifiers so expensive?
Are they really that hard to make? Or is it just because they are made on a low-production numbers basis? I'd really like to purchase a nice pair of headphones, to upgrade from my HP890's, but I just can't afford the amplifier. Would i tbe that bad for me to listen to say, the HD-580's through the headphone jack of my Denon micro-hifi system?

I never studied economics. But I can tell you this: headphone amps don't get the benefit of large-scale production.

If a company like NAD or Rotel puts some serious effort into making a headphone amp, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd wipe the floor with ALL THE OTHER headphone amps.

Apr 14, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #40 of 69
HappyMan: I'll add in my 2cts. Tktgan is right; there is a limited market for these amps. which make them a little more costly than some other components; but compared to a full rigged stereo its a drop in the bucket. The 1st rule is what type of headphones do you prefer then start with an amp that can drive them right. It can be the best available or the most economical-as long as the can do the job. Of course as you go up the ladder the sound will geat better. Remember this is suppose to be an enjoyable hobby;try to keep it that way.Only your ears and finances count. We all just happen to be in a hobby that is not massed produced;that's why it is somewhat expensive.

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #41 of 69
Well I do hope to one day find out how the JMT Altoid amps sound for portable use. I have zero experience with dedicated headphone amps, but I keep reading favorable things here about the JMT amps (best price/performance ratio, apparently), particularly in comparison to the Total Airhead amps.

As for home use, I feel that I have zero need to obtain a headphone amp. The NAD preamp's headphone out is impressive, but the headphone out from my Adcom preamp is just unbelievable. I'm not sure what the specs are (I seem to have misplaced the manual/spec sheet some years ago) but this is hands down the cleanest and most powerful headphone amp I've ever heard. I'm certain it can power a pair of AKG K1000's without any effort. I can't imagine that it would be easy to improve upon this particular headphone amp for home use.

(Granted, this Adcom preamp is 9 years old - and still going strong! - I have no idea what current Adcom products sound like. And weren't they just bought out by another company?)

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #42 of 69
I don't believe it can power the K1000s. First of all, they require speaker terminal outputs. Secondly, not even the 1w per channel MicroZOTL can properly power them; they require 7 watts. However, I do not doubt the quality of the preamp as Adcom products are very nice. The K1000s are just freak earspeakers
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2002 at 12:11 AM Post #43 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I realize my prior post was somewhat incindiary but I am, myself, somewhat offended by fanatacism. Yes, I realize that is a somewhat subjective and offensive word, so let me define it here as I'm using it. Let's take a young audiophile who has in his possession a Sony CD player, a Sony receiver, a Sony headphone, Sony speakers, a Sony TV, a Sony DVD player, etc. Now, you may easily be convinced that one or more of these items is the best bang for the buck--you may be right, each is probably worthy of some debate in a certain context. If, however, you bought only Sony products, in my opinion, you're a fanatic. Why? Because if you had any sense about you, you'd easily find other components that were better priced and did the job better at least some of the time--and if it's only the logo/label that draws you, you're a fanatic.

But Kelly, you're declined to search for alternative explanations. I can think of a number of other explanations why someone might have all Sony products that have nothing to do with fanaticism. In some parts of the world (even parts of the US), the brand selection is limited. A friend of mine visited Molokai, Hawaii... how many alternatives to Sony do you think were available on the island? Or perhaps you bought a Sony TV, liked it, so you bought a "matching" system at the suggestion of the salesperson.

Or, most likely of all, given the average consumer: you don't really CARE, or don't have the TIME, to compare all available options, sound quality, etc. You know Sony, it's cheap at your local superstore, it works well together, so you buy it and enjoy it. Sad to say, but that right there is the mindset of most U.S. consumers. My friend with the Sony boombox probably gets as much enjoyment out of listening to his music as I do out of my supersystem.

Quote:

What it does mean, is that I feel that Team Sennheiser is guilty of giving out bad advice to newbies en masse due to the above mentioned fanatacism.

I don't know exactly who is on this "Team Sennheiser"
wink.gif
but I think the above statement is quite different than the reality here on Head-Fi. If you look through the myriad of threads here, most people who own the HD600 or HD580 are quick to point out that you really need a good amp for them to see any of their potential.

Side note: I'm one of those who has said, time and time again, that if you know you won't be getting an amp, don't buy the HD600 or HD580, because you can find other heapdhones for the same price or less that will sound better unamped than the HDs. I've taken a lot of slack for saying that. However, if a person plans on getting an amp eventually, I don't think it's irresponsible or "fanatic" to recommend the 580/600. They'll sound better than what they're used to even unamped, and they're a great investment since they'll sound better and better as you upgrade your system.

... and the truth is that people like Gaineso probably enjoy their HD600 out of an "inferior" amp as much as I do out of my Max
biggrin.gif

Quote:

A f'rinstance. One of the posts above mentioned using the Little. [snip] I listened for a while with the HD600--trying to convince myself that a newbie headphone hobbyist could "get by" on this amp and that the HD600 would "grow with them" as many here have suggested. With complex music, even at low volumes, the Little began to clip. Now this isn't the Little More Power, it's just the basic Little, so maybe the More Power can do it right, I don't know, but advising newbies to buy the Little because it's Headroom's entry level amp and using it with the Sennheiser HD600, Sennheiser's top of the line and most demanding headphone, is in my opinion irresponsible.

Key words: "your opinion." I do recommend the Little. I owned a Little with the HD580 for about three years. It sounded great (ESPECIALLY to people who weren't "audiophiles"), and never, in three years, did I EVER get it to clip. In reading through the various reviews and impressions of the Little here on Head-Fi, I have yet to find a single person say that it clips with the Senns. So clearly your experiences are not the norm, Kelly.

The great thing about the Little is that it sounds very good with the HD600 -- and will really sound great to someone who is just getting into headphones -- but it also has a great upgrade path that blows away any of the other amps in its price range.

Apr 15, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I do recommend the Little. I owned a Little with the HD580 for about three years. It sounded great (ESPECIALLY to people who weren't "audiophiles"), and never, in three years, did I EVER get it to clip. In reading through the various reviews and impressions of the Little here on Head-Fi, I have yet to find a single person say that it clips with the Senns. So clearly your experiences are not the norm, Kelly.

The great thing about the Little is that it sounds very good with the HD600 -- and will really sound great to someone who is just getting into headphones -- but it also has a great upgrade path that blows away any of the other amps in its price range.

While I'm disinterested in debating more semantics of opinionating with you, I am very interested in being fair to the Little. What year model was yours? I wonder if they've changed over the years or I wonder if something else is at fault (maybe a bad power supply?). I was surprised to hear it clip, I really was.

That aside, I do think cheaper amps are better off with cheaper headphones and that dead horse is running dry of blood. I don't expect the Little to magically transform into an amp that is of the same class as the HD600 -- but I didn't expect it to clip.

Apr 15, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
I don't believe it can power the K1000s. First of all, they require speaker terminal outputs. Secondly, not even the 1w per channel MicroZOTL can properly power them; they require 7 watts. However, I do not doubt the quality of the preamp as Adcom products are very nice. The K1000s are just freak earspeakers
smily_headphones1.gif

Forgive my ignorance; I stand corrected. I've never actually physically seen a pair of K1000's. My point, which I think you understand, is that a quality midrange hi-fi preamp/integrated amp SHOULD have an excellent headphone amplifier. If it doesn't, then I think it reflects badly on the rest of the component and should be avoided at all costs. At least that is my rule of thumb.

I have heard somewhat decent headphone outs on the likes of Sony ES, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, etc. But these do not even compare to the quality of the headphone amps on Adcom, NAD, Rotel, Van Alstine, and so forth. (These are what I consider the best all-around buys in the audio world, i.e. stellar performance and real world affordability.)

And, no, I am NOT a snob on this point. My experience tells me that I would never buy a preamp or power amp from the "high end" line of any of the big Japanese manufacturers (they all seem to have a similarly dark and laid back quality to my ears). On the other hand, I wouldn't part with my Pioneer Elite CD player or my Sony ES MD deck.

Verdict: avoid their power sources, embrace their players. (Not a hard and fast rule, but one that I am generally convinced of.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back