Why are Grado phones so expensive in Europe?
Aug 12, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #32 of 84
i did the same
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #33 of 84
and i'll let you all know if 'youknowwhat' actually worked
smily_headphones1.gif

not that anybody will still remember what is was of course
frown.gif

Aug 19, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #35 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by luoo1984 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
because euro people are rich.

We are?
tongue_smile.gif

Ok, guess we are a fair bit above average... But still no need to take that much advantage of us.

Aug 19, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #36 of 84
If 'You-Know-Who' is the company i assume it is, then are are super for us poor euro's, and they are 100% reliable , infact they've even had a write-up in a UK national newspaper 'Dork Talk' column!

I found them when my gf wanted hair-straightners for a US trip, which for some wierd reason amazon etc refused to ship outside the USA?!?

Good luck

BT

Aug 19, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #37 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If 'You-Know-Who' is the company i assume it is, then are are super for us poor euro's, and they are 100% reliable , infact they've even had a write-up in a UK national newspaper 'Dork Talk' column!

I found them when my gf wanted hair-straightners for a US trip, which for some wierd reason amazon etc refused to ship outside the USA?!?

Good luck

BT

no, i am afraid you are talking about something else. We were talking about a shop called The Jazz Loft, but they seem to have caught on, and are no longer shipping abroad.

Aug 19, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #38 of 84
You can find them cheaper in 'certain places'. Saw RS1's £480 within Europe -no import duties to worry about.

Would not surprise me if they went to the US, bought them and just carried them back into Europe, you are allowed a lot more through customs if you do that anyhow.

Sell them here and make a tidy profit. That's the free market for you, hate being ripped off.

Aug 19, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #39 of 84
hmmm seems that way... but i'm sure that line wasn't there before i ordered? hope i'll be ok
frown.gif

they did say they were shipping tomorrow.

Aug 20, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #40 of 84
from An Interview With John Grado:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So about this high priced deal for out of US phones. Here is how it works. When a company runs through a distributorship (as Grado does outside of the US, otherwise Grado deals with dealers directly in the US) Grado and the distributor sign a contract. Grado is obliged to adhere to the contract as are the distributors. Each distributor is permitted to sell only to their authorized dealers, of which exist within their territory (which usually a country). That means if the German distributor felt he could make some awesome cash by selling Grado gear cheaper than the Italian guy to the Italians, he can’t! Only the Italian distributor can sell to the Italian dealers. This is to protect the dealers. Why is protecting the dealers an important issue? Well, let’s say that dealer X works out of his basement, has no one to support but himself and doesn’t care about making a tone of money, but just wants to sell quantity, he may sell $5 above cost. At that price, everyone will go to this guy, and the other dealers will be forced to remove Grado from their lines. If this $5 guy decides to bolt because the work is too much for $5/phone, then Grado is screwed and so is the customer because Grado can’t sell their stuff, and we can’t buy it. Also, what if this dealer became the sole dealer? They could then jack the price to as high as they want and we would be forced to pay it unless Grado pulled the plug on the guy, and then where we would be? Grado would have NO ONE selling their stuff and we would have no way of buying it. If people assume John makes more when selling to the international distributors, then one is sadly mistaken, he makes less because the distributor is another link in the chain, and his costs come into play. So John sells lower to them. This is the exact same way Mercedes works selling their cars in NA. Go to Germany and they are far cheaper. Is it okay for a high-end car manufacturer but not a high-end audio manufacturer? I think not. Ironically, I remember a while ago that Sennheisers prices were higher in NA than in Europe. People complained about this vehemently, and what did Sennheiser do? Instead of lowering their NA prices, they INCREASED their EU prices to match. Is this what everyone would want to happen? I doubt John would want to raise his prices of his phones. He likes his MSRP, he expects them to be sold at these prices because all costs are factored in and there is no need to discount, that is, some manufacturers purposely price their products much higher than they would ever sell for so that one could walk into a store and see 25 or 40% off and think WOW what a great deal, meanwhile that is the actual expected MSRP. With Grados, this is not the case.

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #43 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbcliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VAT!!!!!!!!!!

and even after VAT Grados bought from the US would be two to three times cheaper than in Europe, be it used or new. VAT doesnt explain the humongous price difference. The explanation provided in the interview is so flawed and lack any real-life logic.

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #44 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and even after VAT Grados bought from the US would be two to three times cheaper than in Europe, be it used or new. VAT doesnt explain the humongous price difference. The explanation provided in the interview is so flawed and lack any real-life logic.

thanks for saying that. although i would have pointed out the many flaws, i doubt they would be accepted.

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #45 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbcliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VAT!!!!!!!!!!

Please read the thread!
As I pointed out above, Grado can cost twice (2x) of what it does in the US. Before VAT are added at all...

Easy said. VAT does not explain the insane price difference...
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back