Why are Grado phones so expensive in Europe?
Aug 12, 2008 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

paaj

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have the SR-125 and really would like to go to 325i or RS-2, but the pricing is ridiculous. Like they thought: lets add 30% to the pricing... and change the $ to €, basicly making them twice as expensive as they are in the US.
for the European price of the RS-2, you could get an GS1000 in the US!

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 84
otherwise you can buy from alessandro...the same...free shipping worldwide, you just will have to add duty fees...

biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 84
edited...
just jumped on the 325i, i figured that if i can sell my 125 for like a €150 (new is €200), it would only cost me €50 (if lucky, €90 if with taxes) which is nothing and i don't think i would be using the 125's anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 84
Grado rig is good~
I have a pair of M1 and PS-1

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 84
Because Grado protect their international dealers by restricting US dealers from selling abroad.
With the result that the European dealers can ask outrageous prices, because there are no competition.

Ok, its just a part of the story. But the most important part imo.
In Norway Grado cost twice (2x) of what it does in the US. With 25% VAT on top of that.
Just insane!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because Grado protect their international dealers by restricting US dealers from selling abroad.
With the result that the European dealers can ask outrageous prices, because there are no competition.

They can ask... But when a great Sennheiser cost the same as a good Grado, then I wonder if the price is so competitive?

HD650 = SR255 in price here.
At US Amazon, HD650 = RS2.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 84
Quote:

Ok, its just a part of the story. But the most important part imo.
In Norway Grado cost twice (2x) of what it does in the US. With 25% VAT on top of that.
Just insane!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Totally crazy stuff!

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is right, remember that in the European Union there is always some VAT and customs fee charged.

For sure. But VAT and customs fee don't explain the price difference.
...and remember that Europe is more than the European Union.
wink.gif

Some examples (Norway <-> US):
GS1000: $1,900 <-> $995
RS1: $1,340 <-> $695
SR-325i: $668 <-> $295
SR-80: $224 <-> $95

Both the norwegian and US prices are listed without VAT. Hence they should be comparable.. But still the norwegian prices are twice (2x) the US prices.

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 84
The actual price (here) including taxes and VAT should be about + 1/3 of the US or Japanese price for headphones. But one has to pay VAT and taxes for shipping too, so the actual price should be a bit higher

Still, both Grado and Sennheiser count as headphones, so the differences are still way off.

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The actual price (here) including taxes and VAT should be about + 1/3 of the US or Japanese price for headphones.

Where are "here"?
Quote:

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 84
Quote:

Where are "here"?

Who are you talking to?
biggrin.gif

RS1 is around 1500$ here last time I checked. Go figure. Yes, since Grado has banned selling their headphones comercially overboards, dealers have a monopoly and they can ask whatever price they damn well please. John KNOWS very well this is happening, and IMHO it is very immoral and arrogant for him to accept it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back