Why are audiophiles such an addiction?
May 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #46 of 97

Quote:
Audiophile: An audio enthusiast that listens to music through high end equipment.

Music lover: A person who has a love for music.

Fixed.
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #47 of 97

I am not certain I can call myself a true audiophile, but what keeps me in this forum is the anxiety to listen to something new and different. I fell like I may be missing something if I only have one headphone forever and never listen to other stuff.

Quote:
what is a "true" audiophile by your definition?

I am still at the stage of learning the sounds, still far away from being able to accurately describe what I hear :) That is why I said I am uncertain about that.

May 24, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #48 of 97

Quote:

I am still at the stage of learning the sounds, still far away from being able to accurately describe what I hear :) That is why I said I am uncertain about that.

it's ok mate...I hope it didn't sound like i am attacking you or something
smile.gif

i am too not familiar with many audiophile terms...like soundstage for example,I think i got a clue of what it is but i am not 100% certain i understand it.  I sometime confuse it with "spacious". 
   for me,music is bass,mids and treble,and i also like very coloured sound which is not the "serious audiophile" type of sound preference.  but i am a crazy freak of sound so i am consider myself an audiophile
regular_smile .gif

May 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #49 of 97
I am now considering learning to play an instrument, guitar? Besides that, listen to the intro of Bedlam's 'Magic Carpet Ride' for I find it brilliant. The enjoyable surprise of finding a new thrill while listening to music is fantastic. I just played the track a second time.

May 24, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #51 of 97
Give the Panasonic RP-HTX7 a good source combined with power and be amazed... The new headphone thing is just one aspect, sometimes all you need to do is change the audio set up.

May 24, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #52 of 97
What makes me keep coming to headfi is one reason: "upgraditis" i cant stop it! My ears evolve everytime i have new cans. 

May 24, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #53 of 97

Quote:
Tinkering is fun. But there are people who have found something satisfactory and left the hobby. 

I can certainly attest to that. I'm pretty satisfied with my W5000, though at times I do feel a tinge of desire to try electrostats (and my wallet cringes in fear). Usually you don't hear much from these people because they don't frequent the forums as much. When I first started this hobby, I visited this forum many times a day, now I barely visit once a week.

May 24, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #54 of 97
these is something not less enjoyable in eating the fruits that we grew.  just lay back and enjoy the system we worked so hard to combine..  I believe that audiophiles that quit posting in head fi not left the hobby intirely but just quit posting for some time because lack of time,or just don't feel the need anymore since they found their perfect combo.

May 24, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #55 of 97
All I know is, I've got other expensive hobbies and can't afford to go too far with this one. There's a limit.. somewhere..

May 25, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #56 of 97
Unless you don't belong to the bat ear fraction (cables and big balls amps), the expenses for his hobby are quite manageable, even with the higher tier headphones. I've done motorcycling and bowbuilding before, a 700$ HP is almost a bargain in comparison.

May 25, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #58 of 97
i think its because everyone hears differently, so until you hear all the cans you are curious about, you really can't know for a fact that you have the phone that is best for you. and since most of us cant hear them all, we just spend years trying to. and trying to narrow it down. 

May 25, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #59 of 97

Quote:
i think its because everyone hears differently, so until you hear all the cans you are curious about, you really can't know for a fact that you have the phone that is best for you. and since most of us cant hear them all, we just spend years trying to. and trying to narrow it down. 

Very true!

May 25, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #60 of 97

Quote:

yeah..curiousity has a lot to do with this abviously.  even when finding you "perfect" headphones,you still curious about how other headphones sound,  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back