Why are audiophiles such an addiction?
May 30, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #91 of 97

Quote:
Elephas, your earthly belongings are chains upon the soul. Let me free you of some of your burden, I'll even pay for shipping... please?

Thank you so much for caring and offering to help. Your kind words have actually relieved some of the painful pressure and now I can continue on carrying the burden, for a little while longer.

Quote:
Haloxt, you are so nice to offer your help...
wink_face.gif

Yes, that was very kind, I'm feeling so much better now.
wink_face.gif

Well, I'm not even going to try competing with what Lunatique wrote, words just fail me. I'll post a photo instead, and ask people, which team would you rather join, Team Sensible & Right-minded or Team Audiofool?
evil_smiley.gif

May 30, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #92 of 97

Quote:
Well, I'm not even going to try competing with what Lunatique wrote, words just fail me. I'll post a photo instead, and ask people, which team would you rather join, Team Sensible & Right-minded or Team Audiofool?
evil_smiley.gif

Alright, screw it. Team audiofool it is!

It's really not fair, is it? It's like lining up some of the most mind-blowingly sexy women ever lived on the planet, wearing some of the most provocative clothing, and then asking the guy who's trying to become a priest, "Hey, which team you wanna join?
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm not even going to ask you what you do for a living, because I'm afraid you'll say something like "I corrupt the souls of the innocent and harvest the souls of the damned" or something.
eek.gif

May 30, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #93 of 97

Quote:

Well, you know that us sensible right-thinking people are just jealous, right?
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's kind of an on-going struggle I think. When we all start as clueless cheap ear-bud wearing teenagers, we never even thought about whether the headphones were reproducing the music accurately or even aesthetically satisfying--the conversations were about the music we listened to, the new bands we discovered, and being immersed in the soundtracks of our lives. But as we get older and as our financial prowess grow, we start seeking higher quality, and the conversation starts to shift, where we start talking about gear more and more. This isn't just among audiophiles, but also audio professionals too. Take a spin around gearslutz.com and you'll see it's the same there. KVRAudio is the only place I know where that attitude is much less prevalent, as the spirit of that community is all about ingenious plugins that are often freeware.

Time and time again, I've seen people at various music/audio production forums lamenting the loss of joy when they delve deeper and deeper into that abyss of gear acquisition. They were hung up on that 10% of quality increase that costs thousands of dollars, that elusive "magical" sounding mic pre, or how a DAC sounds minutely different from another DAC, which requires multiple double-blind tests to even be able to assess (and not always successfully), or how this pair of reference monitor sounds slightly smoother than that pair, and so on. Coupled with the choices and complexities of modern DAW/sequencer operation, they one day realize they were making a lot more music before all of this stuff became the focus, and many ended up selling off a bunch of stuff and just kept it as simple as possible, so they can actually get back to creating music instead of obsessing about gear. But I realize the motivation of musicians are different from music-lovers--they need to be productive, while music lovers only need to enjoy, and often having different sonic signatures of various gears IS an enjoyment because the differences between them is sort of like having different spices to add to your meal.

I think the fine line between a sensible audiophile and an audiofool is so thin that we're all probably constantly treading back and forth between the two. If someone is not doing well financially but chooses to buy that very expensive DAC or tube amp, when the DAC and amp he has now sounds perfectly fine, then perhaps priorities are a bit skewed at that point. But if he's just got big fat year-end bonus and he has no kids to raise and no wife to give him dirty looks, then sure, splurge and go hog wild. But too often I see people barely able to afford the toys but keep buying anyway, adding more stress to their lives, and then when the $hit hits the fan, they have to sell off a bunch of stuff just to survive. That's audiofool territory to me, simply because priorities in life are misplaced at that point, not because of anything to do with the gears themselves.

I think we all have different thresholds for diminishing returns, as well as for the collector's mentality. I look at the guys who have entire basements filled with antique synths and expensive monster modulars, where some of the models are just slight variants of the same make, I immediately recognize that the person is not collecting those synths because he needs all of them to make the kind of music he wants to make--his priorities has shifted, and collecting IS the point. I can't fault someone for that, because I can totally understand that mentality, especially when the objects of desire are complex and fascinating pieces of gear with infinite sonic possibilities. I suppose collecting headphones, amps, DAC's, expensive cables...etc are similar, but to a much lesser degree. Swapping them around can alter the sonic signature, and comparing the differences can be a lot of fun, but I don't think everyone who goes that far can actually hear the differences--so much of it is placebo. I always see double-blind tests where people fail to tell the difference between the DAC on a $50 soundcard and standalone DAC that costs more than a thousand dollars, or a regular cable vs. a ridiculously expensive cable, or well-ripped lossy files vs. non-lossy files, and so on. I've also had people tell me off the record that the difference they hear with expensive amps is so minor that they really regret buying something so expensive, and end up replacing them with much more modest models. I think if someone is to splurge on expensive stuff, they should be sure that they DO hear the difference very clearly, so that the money's well-spent, otherwise, that's audiofool territory. Then again, it's their money and no one can tell them how to spend it. Maybe the thrill of acquiring and owning and trying to hear the differences is the joy for them, but I think that joy is more meaningful if they really do hear the difference and those differences do translate into joy in their lives. Note that I never, ever, state whether I think a particular member can or can't hear the difference--I personally do not know, and I'm not talking about anyone in particular. I usually assume that people who own gears like that CAN hear the difference and the differences are meaningful to them in the context of bringing more joy to their lives. It's only when someone blatantly demonstrates to us that he doesn't know the difference anyway and all the money spent is meaningless, do I actually notice it.

I guess it's all about how well you are doing financially, and how well you balance priorities in life. If you are wealthy and the cost of the gear doesn't stress your bank account in any meaningful way, then you can be as extravagant as you want and no one has the right to judge. This kind of reminds me of a story I heard on a Chinese audiophile forum. There was this guy who had no education and worked hard labor, but he's always loved music very much. He'd save up money to buy concert tickets so he could listen to a symphonic orchestra live. He also saved up so he could buy CD's, and a high-quality audio system. He pretty much worked his ass off, holding down multiple jobs, and really destroyed his health along the way. He managed to acquire the system of his desire, and he got to listen to it for a brief period before he died--he worked himself to death.

So the meaning we give to the things we are passionate about varies. How many people are willing to die for their love for music or audio gear? It was worth it for this guy, but I wish he had been more sensible about it--he might still be alive today, leaning back with a smile on his face as he loses himself in the music.

Anyway, I just want to say that we find our own meanings in our passions and hobbies, and we all have different priorities in life. My personal stance is just one guy's opinion, and it's my own personal value and priorities. I don't want to force it on anyone, and I have no right to judge anyway--I'm only stating an opinion, which is what this thread is about--asking why we are addicted to this love affair with audio gear and what it means to us. I might see myself as being sensible, but to someone else, I would appear to be completely insane already, so it's all relative anyway.

Normally I skip such long prose, but I must admit, your remarks do provide some emotional & intellectual pleasure, and also quite a lot truth.
beerchug.gif

May 30, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #94 of 97

Quote:
evil_smiley.gif

That photo is an absolute winner and tell you what.... I'd go with being the audiofool provided I don't have to foot the bill involved.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 30, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #95 of 97
I am happy I am not loaded with money... Wait, I had enough money to have experienced 10 headphones already and I am preparing to add more to my life, consider me hooked. Yep, I am an audio fool...(it could be worse.)

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #96 of 97
[size=10pt]As a passionate student of psychology. I love learning about it as an interest, as i have no professional & qualification need for it. I know about of mechanism of euphoria. I think Audiophiles a euphoria listening to great quality music is very similar stimulus mechanism to hedonistic pleasure (thus AuGasm), exercise exhaustion euphoria, performance euphoria, religious phenomena & certain recreational drugs. Personally to me it feels like cool, inner peace white noise time bending pleasure.[/size]

[size=10pt]But the mechanism in play is Euphoria, where the AudioPhile black magic engineered music. It acts as a stimulus that provide great pleasure releasing hormones like Dopamine then Serotonin. The reason it is an stimulus is similar to the listed stimulus above, where a massive culmination of personal knowledge history experience, conscious creation of environment, cultural & pshycological conditioning &  primitive physiological human biology. When the multiple component smash together in a massive confluence it strikes as a physiological stimuli. [/size]

[size=10pt]Once the stimuli hits it works similar to classical forms of euphoria, a pleasure that addicts will keep yearning to hit. Worse still a physiological tolerance is built up when exposure to those stimuli is frequent. Thus the constant need for a greater hit of that stimuli. These are the reason why I believe the stimulus like hedonistic pleasure (thus AuGasm), exercise exhaustion euphoria, performance euphoria, religious phenomena & certain recreational drugs are frequently mixed together by people.[/size]

[size=10pt]Disclaimer: I have not professional qualifications, these are just the opinions of an avid student of the science.[/size]

Jul 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #97 of 97
I have been labeled   a "subjective" of which I agree because I am a human being not a robot.You cant quantify human beings all are different all have their own values all humans change from generation to generation- Science isn't a PERFECT "science" if you know what I mean . It never will be the "World changes no matter how much a scientist thinks "he is God" he never is. You cant quantify the soul . All science is on a "watch an action we take"  and report basis" What they see in front of their eyes it isn't perfection and shouldn't be used as a basis to judge human beings. You mentioned.Euphoria I don't get that from music I get great pleasure listening to the music I like It can calm me down and relax me.But I don't get lifted onto a "cloud on high" only the spirit can do that. I am very down to earth. but that doesn't mean I don't have  spiritual beliefs  .In your book it would be I have taken too much cheese or something like that. Never taken an illegal  drug in my life.You mention Serotonin as pleasure inducer. Do you know that Serotonin is the biggest cause of intense MIGRAINE headaches?? --the  expansion of the blood vessels in the brain and that Serotonin   REPRESSANTS   are on the  market that reduce the blood vessels in the brain and take away the pain. And they work. So much for pleasure?? There are some here who wont accept that they are human. But try to think in scientific terms but they always fall because they cant stop being subjective because humans don't know any other way of expressing an opinion so they end up being sarcastic --which means they have lost but they don't realize that.Cosmologists etc are now coming round to the belief in God --that might surprise you  but they have tried different dimensions and a whole lot more but it doesn't answer Universal  Questions. Just look at "the Big Bang" even thoughts on that are changing.To keep your mind in your body and not try for a higher level is to act against a human beings reason for existing. We are not here just  to procreate       and when we die that's IT-ZERO/NIL/THE END???? As they say in science --and in Star Trek --Its not logical.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back