Why are audiophiles such an addiction?
May 24, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #31 of 97
Erich Fromm stated, you can choose between being and having. Guess we've made our choice

May 24, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #32 of 97
Audio electronics is part of enjoying recorded music. Like a few others have said, I appreciate hearing the same songs with different equipment/tweaks, it's like seeing from another perspective.

May 24, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #33 of 97
Maybe we're all trying to re-experience that big high we got when we heard our first decent pair of cans, and spending more and more to feel that rush again. My MS-1's don't excite me nearly as much as they did in the first month, so I try to take breaks and listen with some iBuds to put everything in perspective. I'm also curious to hear what I've never heard before. How much difference is there between my $400 dollar system and someone elses' $4000 system. I must know!

May 24, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #34 of 97
Quote:
I'm addicted to music. Headphones and equipment just come with the territory. 

Yep, music is my drug. Sometimes I need my silence though. I prefer music to beer, narcotics, TV, film and a lot of things. Coffee is needed to provide the occassional kick start and pure (70% and up) chocolate is heavenly. Books, I love my books and information sources but whenever everything else fails, there is my music. I am pretty much done with headphones now, thankfully...

Head-Fi is an awesome website to share this addiction, even the 'new' Head-Fi.  

May 24, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #35 of 97

Quote:
I'm also curious to hear what I've never heard before. How much difference is there between my $400 dollar system and someone elses' $4000 system. I must know!

Which is what meets are for! So jealous of all you guys going to the Brissy one!

May 24, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #36 of 97

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, music is my drug. Sometimes I need my silence though. I prefer music to beer, narcotics, TV, film and a lot of things. Coffee is needed to provide the occassional kick start and pure (70% and up) chocolate is heavenly. 

Yeah, music is the strongest drug ever! Specially metal....

May 24, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #37 of 97
I am not certain I can call myself a true audiophile, but what keeps me in this forum is the anxiety to listen to something new and different. I fell like I may be missing something if I only have one headphone forever and never listen to other stuff.

May 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #38 of 97

Quote:
I am not certain I can call myself a true audiophile, but what keeps me in this forum is the anxiety to listen to something new and different. I fell like I may be missing something if I only have one headphone forever and never listen to other stuff.

what is a "true" audiophile by your definition?

May 24, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #40 of 97

Quote:
and pure (70% and up) chocolate is heavenly. Books, I love my books and information sources but whenever everything else fails, there is my music. I am pretty much done with headphones now, thankfully...

Head-Fi is an awesome website to share this addiction, even the 'new' Head-Fi.  

Talking about chocolate, yesterday I bought a 86% chocolate and it tastes like crap :D

May 24, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #41 of 97

Quote:
I think its an addiction because you want to always try something better or something new. Curiosity I think is what keeps me in this game.

+1.  For those of us on a budget, it's interesting to see where we can find improvements within that budget.  For those with insane amounts of cash, it's more to do with collection habits and finding the right combinations of gear for the most satisfying results for different recordings.  There's always something that can be tweaked.

It's like any hobby.  It's compulsive and entertaining.  Better audiophilia than stamp collecting.  Heh.

May 24, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #42 of 97
Maybe a chemical addiction
eek.gif
!  I mean I wonder whether the brain produces some addictive chemical (making us feel good or relex etc) when we listen to music.....

May 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #43 of 97
loving music is not the same as loving sound... sort of.
although sound is an unseperatable part of the music and it is embbeded inside the music,we can make the distingush between the music which is the notes and the rythem played,and the sound which is the way we listen to those beats and notes.   it is also appropriate to say that one addiction leads to another,without the love of music i would never got into audiophilia.

there are certain people that couldn't care less about how the music sounds...they just enjoy listening to it.   you can see them walking in the street and listening to music throught their cellphones internal speakers.    
if you want you can also hear the music without listening to it physically...like in your brain,and enjoy it the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back