Whose side are you on: Conan or Leno?
Jan 15, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #62 of 112
Leno's fans here, Conan is IDIOTIC and not funny, Jay Leno's show sucks though, I like him better at Tonight show. The only thing I like about Jay leno's show is their panel, that is hillarious. Leno's monologue is also the best. I don't like Letterman nor Kimmel but I loved Ferguson. He's a riot. Now I can see Leno and Ferguson again without any break in between, perfect
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #63 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leno and conan didn't do anything this is on NBC for deciding to experiment and ultimately ended up failing.

Leno should had left NBC after his Tonight Show contract was finish. That was Carlson did.

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #64 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leno should had left NBC after his Tonight Show contract was finish. That was Carlson did.

Do you really think NBC will let Jay go to another network and use another show to challenge Conan's show? Jay is still young enough that he can easily establish another talk show on, for example, Fox. NBC wanted to keep both Jay and Conan, and its plan has backfired.

I am 42, so I am at an age where I can appreciate both Conan and Jay. In fact, I like each of their shows better before the big switcheroo. I also remember Jay when he guested on Letterman's "Late Night" show and he was much edgier. Of course, Jay had to water down his act as the host of "The Tonight Show" to appeal to the widest possible audience....which is something Conan has yet to realize. I suppose Conan no longer having the masturbating bear was a concession to become "mainstream" but there are times when I'd watch Conan's version of "The Tonight Show" and have no idea who any of his guests are.

Also, I think people need to see things from NBC's perspective. Whatever NBC has done may be a huge mistake, but what's NBC going to do now? Whether Jay's 10PM show was successful or not, Conan's show still suffered a big ratings drop when compared to Leno's version of "The Tonight Show"....to the point where Letterman is now #1 in the ratings. If you're NBC, would you stick with Conan, whose ratings may go down again after this mess blows over, or go back to Jay, someone who has kept "The Tonight Show" #1 for at least a decade. Reportedly, if Conan is to depart from NBC, he will be paid $20 million/year for the next 4 years on his contract. At the same time, Leno's version of "The Tonight Show" took in about $120 million/year in ad revenue. You can do the math and see that going back to Leno will be a safer bet than sticking with Conan.

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #65 of 112
From the New York Times....

Quote:

Dick Ebersol, chairman of NBC Universal Sports, said the reason for Mr. Leno’s return to NBC’s late-night roster after a short stint in prime time this season was a simple one: disappointing ratings for Conan O’Brien’s “Tonight Show.”

Referring to the pointed jokes made this week by Mr. O’Brien and David Letterman of CBS, Mr. Ebersol said it was “chicken-hearted and gutless to blame a guy you couldn’t beat in the ratings.”

He added that “what this is really all about is an astounding failure by Conan.”

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #66 of 112
Dick Ebersol huh....what a dick indeed.

BTW:

imwithcoco.jpg

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #69 of 112
Coco by a landslide.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dick Ebersol huh....what a dick indeed.

BTW:

imwithcoco.jpg

LOL Yes!

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #70 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ditto. Leno should have handled the situation with more class. Instead, it at least appears that he is adept at acting like a charming nice guy in front of cameras, while being nothing more than a needling, conniving goon behind scenes.

Hate. His. Guts.

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #71 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? I am really confused about this, what did Leno do.

if you read The Late Shift, it will give you an idea of some of the ruthless, underhanded tactics Leno used to get The Tonight Show over Letterman.

he did beat Letterman in the ratings year after year, but that is partly due to the fact that NBC was the #1 network for more than a decade, while CBS was in the cellar... during which time Leno gained a large, loyal audience.

Conan has been delivering really strong ratings the last 3 months, which is something considering he is doing it on a last place network whose only bright spots at this point are The Today Show and Nightly News.

Ebersol should know this... my guess is that he's been sent on the attack by Zucker and is probably personal friends with Leno, to boot.

Jan 15, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #73 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So did anyone watch Kimmel on Jay's show? That was brutal.

Edit: Jay vs Jimmy

The second video.

ownage!

jimmy roasted him alive

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #74 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ownage!

jimmy roasted him alive

Leno clearly knew what could be coming out of Kimmel's mouth and, as I see it, gracious enough not to rip Kimmel apart.

Disappointing? Yes.

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #75 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leno clearly knew what could be coming out of Kimmel's mouth and, as I see it, gracious enough not to rip Kimmel apart.

Disappointing? Yes.

I don't know, seems to me Jay got in the first jab and Kimmel just went off on him. Kimmel didn't seem like he was planning on going in guns ablaze.

Basically what I'm saying is, Jay started it.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back