Whose side are you on: Conan or Leno?
Jan 15, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #78 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really love the Jay Leno. He's really the best talk show host in the world.

For me TO POOP ON!!!!

Nice one Ed!
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #80 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto. Leno should have handled the situation with more class. Instead, it at least appears that he is adept at acting like a charming nice guy in front of cameras, while being nothing more than a needling, conniving goon behind scenes.

Hate. His. Guts.

Imagine how the people who can't keep the nice guy act going on camera act behind the scenes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you read The Late Shift, it will give you an idea of some of the ruthless, underhanded tactics Leno used to get The Tonight Show over Letterman.

he did beat Letterman in the ratings year after year, but that is partly due to the fact that NBC was the #1 network for more than a decade, while CBS was in the cellar... during which time Leno gained a large, loyal audience.

Conan has been delivering really strong ratings the last 3 months, which is something considering he is doing it on a last place network whose only bright spots at this point are The Today Show and Nightly News.

Ebersol should know this... my guess is that he's been sent on the attack by Zucker and is probably personal friends with Leno, to boot.

Sounds like normal business to me. Lets be realistic when millions of dollars are on the line anyone would do what they needed to do to get the job. The funny thing about this thread to me is everyone is cheering on Conan but obviously the general public is not really watching because his ratings have been very low. But we will see if Leno can do any better soon I guess. I personally don't know if either guy is the best for the job.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #81 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, seems to me Jay got in the first jab and Kimmel just went off on him. Kimmel didn't seem like he was planning on going in guns ablaze.

Basically what I'm saying is, Jay started it.
tongue.gif

They were actually acquaintances before Kimmel got his late night show, via him and Adam Carolla occasionally doing standup on the tonight show. Actually Leno was just on Carolla's car podcast a few months ago.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #82 of 112
I must say I took the opportunity to watch a couple of these late-night talk shows as I wanted to see a couple of interviews and live performances. Letterman comes across as a bit of a .... umm ... thing you between your legs, but I could watch him without feeling any need to run to the toilet. Conan ... that I stopped within 5 minutes. I can't believe anyone can stand watching him. I think you Americans need to check what's really in your drinking water.

You should also know that this drama has been staged to attract attention to the shows, just the same as celebrities stage relationship dramas to keep themselves in the spotlight so the are more attractive to movie producers.

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #83 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You should also know that this drama has been staged to attract attention to the shows, just the same as celebrities stage relationship dramas to keep themselves in the spotlight so the are more attractive to movie producers.

Totally different. Leno and Conan did not create the situation on purpose. They just chose to poke fun at it.
It doesn't sound like you know much about the back story or indeed their shows judging by the comments you made.

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #84 of 112
Didn't Andy Richter put on the performance of his life last night on the Tonight Show? I was laughing my head off and feeling sorry for him at the same time.

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #85 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imagine how the people who can't keep the nice guy act going on camera act behind the scenes.

Probably the same as when in front of cameras. You know, straight shooters.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #86 of 112
Oh boy Jay is coming on in less then a hour here I guess I will have to watch his new show for the first time...that was also a issue I had with the show it is on too early there are too many other shows I watch at that time to allow me to get on nbc at 10.

Jan 16, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #87 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally different. Leno and Conan did not create the situation on purpose. They just chose to poke fun at it.
It doesn't sound like you know much about the back story or indeed their shows judging by the comments you made.

And I don't care. All the while people in Haiti are building roadblocks from dead bodies in protest at the lack of aid. That doesn't bring ratings though like a pissing contest between 3 TV celebrities.

Jan 16, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #88 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the New York Times....

Quote:

Dick Ebersol, chairman of NBC Universal Sports, said the reason for Mr. Leno’s return to NBC’s late-night roster after a short stint in prime time this season was a simple one: disappointing ratings for Conan O’Brien’s “Tonight Show.”

Referring to the pointed jokes made this week by Mr. O’Brien and David Letterman of CBS, Mr. Ebersol said it was “chicken-hearted and gutless to blame a guy you couldn’t beat in the ratings.”

He added that “what this is really all about is an astounding failure by Conan.”

"This is the essence of NBC's problems," said one Conan insider. "Conan O'Brien is losing his job because he didn't take the comedy notes of a 62-year-old sports producer."

Jan 16, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #89 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I don't care. All the while people in Haiti are building roadblocks from dead bodies in protest at the lack of aid. That doesn't bring ratings though like a pissing contest between 3 TV celebrities.

You cared enough to post in the thread.
wink.gif

Points taken. It is good to put things into perspective and we are all concerned about the tragedy in Haiti -even though we still watch tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back