Whose side are you on: Conan or Leno?
Jan 16, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #91 of 112
I shall once again confirm who I am with:

500x_coco.jpg

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #92 of 112
I have been enjoying the Tonight Show thoroughly in the last few days. When Conan took over the show, I felt that he lost his edge a little bit. Even the sketches didn't seem to be as funny and creative as before. I was also not sure about bringing Andy back- it added nothing to the show. In this last week or so, it seemed to have gone to the old glory days and the guests were into it so much more and Andy Richter has been in good form. I will miss it if Jay Leno comes back.

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #93 of 112
don't like rosie o'donnell either with her "ching chong, bing bong" joke.

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #94 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I don't care. All the while people in Haiti are building roadblocks from dead bodies in protest at the lack of aid. That doesn't bring ratings though like a pissing contest between 3 TV celebrities.

shouldn't you be helping those in haiti right now? why are you wasting time posting about it?

oh right because your argument is absolute bunk and has nothing to do with the topic.

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #95 of 112
Jay is excommunicated in my book. He's just a plain dirty old man.

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #96 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been enjoying the Tonight Show thoroughly in the last few days. When Conan took over the show, I felt that he lost his edge a little bit. Even the sketches didn't seem to be as funny and creative as before. I was also not sure about bringing Andy back- it added nothing to the show. In this last week or so, it seemed to have gone to the old glory days and the guests were into it so much more and Andy Richter has been in good form. I will miss it if Jay Leno comes back.

I think it helped a lot by putting Andy back on the couch.

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #98 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Conan ... that I stopped within 5 minutes. I can't believe anyone can stand watching him. I think you Americans need to check what's really in your drinking water.

Here's a clip from some Japanese "Talk Show."

YouTube - Chimp Talk Show Host

Yea, us American's need to check what's in our drinking water...lol
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #100 of 112
Matt Besser, founder of the Upright Citizen's Brigade (one of the most influential comedy troupes here in NYC) says this:

Quote:

I don’t see any divided loyalties in the comedy community. All comedians who care about comedy love and respect Conan. Not only are Conan and his staff comedic geniuses, they are also students of the art form of comedy. That’s why Conan respects the tonight show too much to ruin it. Leno obviously doesn’t give a s**t. The only good bits he does, he stole from Howard Stern. Leno defines hack. And he’s also an a**hole for not knowing when to walk away.

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #101 of 112
It's not about the comedy....it's about the ratings....

There's no argument that Leno's 10 PM show crashed and burned. However, Conan's ratings, before the recent on-air fights began, has not been spectacular either. If you're NBC, would you give more time to Conan, hoping that his ratings will eventually improve? Or will you hire back the guy that has kept "The Tonight Show" #1 for a whole decade (if not longer), before Conan? Let's say NBC stick it out with Conan and the ratings doesn't improve after a year? What would you do then? I am not sure whether Leno is contractually allowed to get another show on another network after his 10PM show failed....but what if he can? I think NBC is scared that Leno will get another show elsewhere while Conan's ratings doesn't improve. Given that "The Tonight Show" can generate ad revenue of over $120 million each year, the decision to dump Conan and rehire Leno is a financial one, and not an artistic one.

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #102 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not about the comedy....it's about the ratings....

the decision to dump Conan and rehire Leno is a financial one, and not an artistic one.

How about Leno's decision to agree to that? Is it a financial one or an artistic one?

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #105 of 112

Users who are viewing this thread

Back