Who's stubborn, my Dad, or me?
May 2, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #31 of 46
You know, when I worked at Best Buy, we use to sell the 301's like CRAZY. I'd always try and steer people to the Klipsch instead, but once I started listening, they weren't bad.

Worth the price? Hell no, but not bad...

May 2, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #32 of 46
let him get what will make him happy or you'll both suffer...

May 2, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #33 of 46
I had a teacher (Aesthetic Engineering) back in college which was one of the bigshots at bose, probably just under the CEO position. My god... their people aren't even audiophiles!!!

May 2, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're going about this the wrong way.

What you really want are DIY speakers. Not only are many of them excellent, but you can pitch this as a father/son project. Tell him you found some interesting plans on the Internet (there are plenty) and ask him to build a pair with you. He should bite and you'll end up with great speakers. That would also be a perfect lead-in to building a second pair for you.

If you don't have access to a tablesaw, etc., no worries. Get a kit from Madisound or several other suppliers.

That sounds like a good idea, but where do you buy the woofers and tweeters from. I mean I could make a speaker if I knew where to find the parts and such. I would love to make a 5 way speaker....for myself. I guess since my Dad is only paying about a hundred for them it's not so bad, I'll leave him alone, but if I listen to them and they aren't as good as my Logitech computer speakers...I'm gonna know in my head that I was right.

May 2, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #35 of 46
Well at least if hes going to buy bose, hes buying the 301's ,which are the only ones that sorta sound good, and the best buy for the price in the range,,but really if hes getting them for $100, he wont find a better pair of speakers for that price. Whats out there for only $100 really?

Bose is over-priced cardboard and pressed-wood junk with fake tweeters and crossovers, and most people are ignorant suckers, which is why its getting harder and harder to find any decent stereo gear in chain stores like Best Buy, etc.

I have a friend that spend $3000 on stereo crap from stores like Best Buy, etc.
He bought Onkyo, Cerwin Vega, Monster Cables,etc.
Didnt sound so great for the money, but he thought it was great.

If it were my $3000 and i had to buy a stereo with it, i would have gotten Rotel, NAD, Cambridge,Paradigm, etc.
You can get a decent beginner rig going with entry level name-brand equipment like that, for $3000, but not at Best Buy.

Let your dad just buy whatever he wants, and when you buy your system,let him hear it, and dont say a word.

May 2, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #37 of 46
Both of you...
wink.gif

May 2, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose speakers sound like crap and are way too expensive. My parents do have one of those little Acoustimass system things and it sounds decent.. I would have never spent the money for it though.

You mean the Blose Acoustimess???

May 2, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #41 of 46
Onkyos a fine brand, and Cerwin Vega is too, but I get good deals when I buy CV speakers, so it's not bad.

May 3, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #42 of 46
Really all you can do is politely offer your advice. If he doesn't want to take it, then just let him get his Bose and enjoy it for what it is. If you force him to get something else, and he ends up not liking it, then he's not going to be a happy camper and you'll get stuck in the middle of it
wink.gif

Agreed, Onkyo is a respectable brand. Up there with Yamaha imo.

May 3, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #43 of 46
I have an old Onkyo amp from the 80's and it still gets the job done!

To the OP: I think all you can do is give him the chance to hear what you have to say, if possible let him hear an alternative and if not realize that he certainly gains utility from a brand name product whether the sound quality is par or not.

May 3, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #44 of 46
Ok, if you like Onkyo and Cerwin Vega, then you might as well have Bose also.

I blew away an Onkyo 125w per ch amp. The think looked heavy, with big black handles. My Realistic STA-2100 receiver @ 120w per ch, ate it for lunch. Luckily i didnt bring the Bryston.
The receiver is an early 1980's vintage. Has a great headphone out and can be had in pawn shops for $100-150usd.

I also heard a huge Onkyo amp with big analog meters in the front, driving Polks, Cerwin Vega, and some other speakers in the showroom years ago, and it couldnt get a grip on the woofers at all. It wobbled all over the place. I guess the amp had no damping factor at all.

Onkyo made a good surround processor years ago, but i havent heard much else good from them really, but if you guys like it, then fine.

As far as Cambridge....its good beginning audiophile stuff.
They make a nice cd player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back