Who's stubborn, my Dad, or me?
May 1, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #16 of 46
^!!!LOL!!!^

May 1, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #17 of 46
Bose speakers are suspect (I'm being polite). But their marketing is aggressive and in some regards genius. From Paul Harvey to infomercials and adds in the AARP. They have sewed up the Geritol Generation Musical needs. They are portrayed as idiot proof and show Grandma playing CD's. "So simple a Grandma can do it". Tough to get around that Marketing.

May 1, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, bottom line, there is nothing you can do. You're the kid. He's the parent who thinks he knows more than his kid. He's probably not going to listen to you. But be assured - you're right and he's not. In the end, it's his money to throw away. All you can do is give him good advice.

That's how it goes for about anything around here. He'll try to argue with me about things dealing with computers....now that I have on lock
wink.gif
. My Dad is one of those people who are mainstream with stuff, and I know when he buys it and even if he doesn't like it, he won't admit it, but he'll just say that they're better than my 500 watt hpm-1500 that he gave me. He's one that is effected greatly by placebos. I would love to take him to an audio shop, but I live in a horrible city where the biggest thing here is Wal-Mart, and then Fast Food Resturaunts. I do find it ironic that my Dad would do anything to save money, but he'll throw ~$350 on a pair of Bose speakers. In the end I do realize it's his decision, but I can see how we both have our beliefs.

May 1, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Errr... I wouldn't mind nice lagre speakers as long as they look better than just some MDF box. Although, I have to admit that my speakers are flat panel spakers and they hang directly on my walls.

Although, I would be happy to take Syklab's B&W's off his hands!

There are exceptions to everything. We are glad you are not part of the norm
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to take him to an audio shop, but I live in a horrible city where the biggest thing here is Wal-Mart…I do find it ironic that my Dad would do anything to save money, but he'll throw ~$350 on a pair of Bose speakers.

Question: Do they sell Bose speakers at the Wal-Mart near you in North Carolina? Geez, the Bose machine must be stopped.
confused.gif
tongue.gif

May 1, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #21 of 46
You're both right. You about the fact that other speakers offer better value. Your Dad's right because he is convinced that Bose is the speaker for him.

People buy terrible things everyday (cars, TVs, computers etc) - and are perfectly happy with them even in the face of contradictory information from people who do know, or pretend to know, better.

Did anyone here ever buy a COMPAQ, or an IBM PS/1 or PS/2 PC in the 1990's? They were no better than anything else, but cost twice as much. I had that argument with many people. In then end I just nodded and smiled.

BTW, I can't say that I have ever heard a nice set of Sony speakers. Can anyone educate me on what a nice Sony set might be?

May 1, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #22 of 46
Not all Bose products are crap. Back in the day (I am an old fart) 901's were higly regarded among audiophiles. I don't know how their quality is these days, but back in the late 70's I had a pair that were made of walnut (no MDF) and sounded excellent. The only products they produce these days that I have a problem with are there Acoustimass products and their headphones.

May 1, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not all Bose products are crap. Back in the day (I am an old fart) 901's were higly regarded among audiophiles. I don't know how their quality is these days, but back in the late 70's I had a pair that were made of walnut (no MDF) and sounded excellent. The only products they produce these days that I have a problem with are there Acoustimass products and their headphones.

Wow. I haven't heard of the 901s in a loooong time. When I was a kid in the mid-70s, a close friend's father had a pair in the family living room. When I first heard them I was, frankly, blown away. I've heard much better speakers since, but the 901s were the first speakers I heard that offered really vivid imaging.

So I saved up for what seemed like forever, and I got a pair of 301s. This would have been about '78 or '79. I was pretty bitterly disappointed, and I replaced them as soon as I could with a pair of floor-standing ARs. I felt at the time that Bose was trading on the reputation of their flagship product by selling less expensive gear that had absolutely nothing to do with the sound of their top-of-the-line stuff.

At the time there were other firms (AR, Infinity, EPI) whose entire line reflected a sound and a design philosophy. Their budget offerings didn't sound quite as good as their best stuff; you didn't get guite the freq range, the bass impact, etc. But their budget boxes sounded good, and recognizeably similar to the expensive stuff.

But these days, branding is everything. People buy the nameplate, not the sound.

May 1, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's very hard to get people to listen. I've had many friends ask me about audio equipment. I give them good advice, and instead of listening to me they go to Best Buy and get sold some crap and think they made a great purchase. Then they come to me to show how smart they were.

Or it's hard to get people to hear past advertising, or see past the mass market established way on things. It's like it makes people delusional. I still think though if they have the experience of hearing their favorite tunes sounding GREAT on a good set up it will eventually click. But I don't think proslytizing ever works. You have to let it sneak up on them. The people I know listen mostly lo-bit from earbuds or atrocious computer speakers. I generally leave it alone though.

May 1, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I don't think proslytizing ever works. You have to let it sneak up on them.

I couldn't agree more. The proverbial "Aha! moment" is a personal thing. You can't persuade someone of anything until he or she hears it for him or her self.

That, of course doesn't stop me from complaining to whoever will listen about the sorry state of the world, but that's just me...

May 1, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. I haven't heard of the 901s in a loooong time. When I was a kid in the mid-70s, a close friend's father had a pair in the family living room. When I first heard them I was, frankly, blown away. I've heard much better speakers since, but the 901s were the first speakers I heard that offered really vivid imaging.

So I saved up for what seemed like forever, and I got a pair of 301s. This would have been about '78 or '79. I was pretty bitterly disappointed, and I replaced them as soon as I could with a pair of floor-standing ARs. I felt at the time that Bose was trading on the reputation of their flagship product by selling less expensive gear that had absolutely nothing to do with the sound of their top-of-the-line stuff.

At the time there were other firms (AR, Infinity, EPI) whose entire line reflected a sound and a design philosophy. Their budget offerings didn't sound quite as good as their best stuff; you didn't get guite the freq range, the bass impact, etc. But their budget boxes sounded good, and recognizeably similar to the expensive stuff.

But these days, branding is everything. People buy the nameplate, not the sound.

Ironically, the 301's are the ones my Dad wants. I can't blame him, because a guy at work is selling them to him for $100, so he's at least buying them for what they're actually worth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're both right. You about the fact that other speakers offer better value. Your Dad's right because he is convinced that Bose is the speaker for him.

People buy terrible things everyday (cars, TVs, computers etc) - and are perfectly happy with them even in the face of contradictory information from people who do know, or pretend to know, better.

Did anyone here ever buy a COMPAQ, or an IBM PS/1 or PS/2 PC in the 1990's? They were no better than anything else, but cost twice as much. I had that argument with many people. In then end I just nodded and smiled.

BTW, I can't say that I have ever heard a nice set of Sony speakers. Can anyone educate me on what a nice Sony set might be?

I can totally agree with you. Sony doesn't make speakers anywhere as nice as the Premier Pioneers or the really high end Klipsch's, etc, but they make decent speakers for the money. The only thing is that my Dad thinks Bose is for him, he hasn't heard anything to compare with them, only home theater systems, and that's two totally different things.

May 2, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #28 of 46
I think your dad's definition of "stereo" is somewhat differ from yours.
Any two speakers system can produce stereo sound though, he might have some specific sound in his mind that he believe is stereo. You may take him to your local speaker shop where you can let him listen some speaker system.
If that is not working, let him get what he want. That's his own choice. And that is not a death or life situation at all for both of you.

And your father is not stubborn at all. He at least listened you.

May 2, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #29 of 46
You're going about this the wrong way.

What you really want are DIY speakers. Not only are many of them excellent, but you can pitch this as a father/son project. Tell him you found some interesting plans on the Internet (there are plenty) and ask him to build a pair with you. He should bite and you'll end up with great speakers. That would also be a perfect lead-in to building a second pair for you.

If you don't have access to a tablesaw, etc., no worries. Get a kit from Madisound or several other suppliers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back