Who's Getting a 5G Ipod?
Oct 13, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #46 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
But I really hate the damned click wheel. Too many functions on one control mean that I have to look at the thing to control it. I didn't like it on the mini, and I hate it on the nano. I need a separate pause button.

Hehe, when I made a very similar comment some time ago I was labeled a "troll", a "failing student", "inexperienced" and a few other things...
tongue.gif

But it is true, and I apologise for getting slightly off topic, I do believe that the click wheel is really rather poor. Lets assume this scenario (it has actually happened while I was using a friend's iPod Photo):

I am in the train listening to my music when I start browsing for the next album to listen to. At that point, the train slows down and the operator anounces the reason; with my HD-5 I would have turned down the volume and listened to the anouncement... But what is this? I can't adjust the volume on the iPod! I had to return to the song to do it. Or just stop playback (which is what I did)...

When the new BMW 7 series came out, it introduced a similar concept to it's drivers; a single rotational control to navigate through the hi-fi and sat nav functions which can be pressed up/down/left/right and in. The motoring world completely slayed the system claiming that it was extremely difficult to use (BMW has indeed made adjustment since). Why is the iPod's click wheel the best thing since sliced bread but the very very similar control in the BMW difficult to use? Is it because iPod users are smarter than BMW drivers? Or is it because iPod users won't accept negative criticism about the iPod (I could say that they love their iPod more that BMW drivers love their cars but I won't because it is not true)? My philosophical answer was that humans are not logical beings. I personaly find both systems equally difficult to navigate.

And to return to topic, the click wheel is one of the reasons why I will not purchase the new iPod. Other reasons are:
- Poor, non-removable battery
- Screen too small for movie playback
- She Who Must Be Obeyed insists that I should stop spending money on hi-fi bits
- Too expensive for what it is (it's still only a music player albeit with video playback - even my mobile phone plays videos and that was free)
- Sound quality probably not improved although I do reserve judgement on this

By the way, the black does look really really really sexy...

Cheers

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #47 of 112
I think I am gonna give this a try...one quick question though-does the Ipod play mp3 files? Thats all I have is mp3's and i do not want to re download or re rip all my stuff. Thanks.

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #48 of 112
Waiting on reviews of the SQ. If improves will buy, it not will hold off. Shame the screen is so small though (although it would expand the size of the player, if size was the issue I'd get a nano). Watching the video of the event yesterday Jobs did repeated refer to it as a music player that "also plays video". So maybe that's it's target, but I'd like both. Anyway we'll know about the SQ in a week or two.

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #49 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricola_pak
I am wondering if anyone knows what the included case is like?

It looks like a $0.10 cloth bag that came with 3G iPods. Some guys wear better underwear than that.

Somewhat related to what Emmanuel is saying, I wish the iPod had dedicated volume buttons of some sort. There are all these features being added, but you can only change the volume if you're viewing the current track playing. You can't change the volume while viewing pictures, for example, without having to go all the way out of the menus and then down to Now Playing.

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #50 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
...the click wheel is one of the reasons why I will not purchase the new iPod. Other reasons are:
- Poor, non-removable battery
- Screen too small for movie playback
- [size=x-small]She Who Must Be Obeyed insists that I should stop spending money on hi-fi bits[/size]
- Too expensive for what it is (it's still only a music player albeit with video playback - even my mobile phone plays videos and that was free)
- Sound quality probably not improved although I do reserve judgement on this

By the way, the black does look really really really sexy...

Cheers

You can toss the other reasons out. Number 3 is the only one that holds water
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #51 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog311
...one quick question though-does the Ipod play mp3 files? Thats all I have is mp3's and i do not want to re download or re rip all my stuff. Thanks.

Best Question Evar! Yes it does play mp3.

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #52 of 112
Not going to buy since I have a 4th Gen 60GB iPod already, unless:

> They come out with a 80 or 100 GB one later, OR

> The 5 gen will output digital audio data to a USB DAC (doesn't seem like it will...)

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #53 of 112
I have an ancient 2001 Vaio PC, with equally old USB ports.
I'm assuming that the 5G iPod won't be compatible with USB 1.1, hence I will have no way to transfer my music. Perhaps, someone like me should wait until early next year when I play to acquire a new PC.

Can anyone confirm?

Regards,

Milan

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #54 of 112
USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1.1, it's just ALOT slower for transfers and no charging through the USB ability. I have a 2001 Vaio as well, all I did was bought a USB 2.0 pci card for it awhile ago. It helps a bunch for new devices.

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #55 of 112
rockphantom I'm in the same boat (except I also have Firewire which I really wish I could use). To be honest a USB PCI card is only $20 so it's not really a wait-for-a-new-computer kinda thing (or at least not anymore than if you needed a new mouse
wink.gif
).

EDIT: Actually I have no idea if your VAIO is a VAIO laptop or VAIO desktop. Sorry, ignore if the former.

Oct 13, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #56 of 112
Despite pretty much being SOL on $235 right now because I'm getting scammed... I think I'm pretty much sold on the new ipod 5g, only question now is should I get it online or in-store when it comes out? I think I want to get mine engraved with "Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet." What do you guys think??

Oct 13, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #58 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by lal316l
Best Question Evar! Yes it does play mp3.

haha I actually had asked a co worker who owns an Ipod 4th gen and he said it doesnt play mp3, only aac.

Oct 13, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #60 of 112
Probably not.
Since I already have an iPod mini, and soon to come an iPod nano 4GB (shipped yesterday). But who knows?
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back