Who's Getting a 5G Ipod?
Oct 14, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #91 of 112
I'm not upgrading for a while. Apple seems to adding/changing iPods almost every other month. Once my 60 gig is filled and the battery is dead, i'll invest in their latest.

Oct 14, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #92 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Rough estimates

1. The Universal Dock $40
2. A Sendstation Pocketdock $30
3. Portable headphone amp -- Headroom Total Airhead, Meier Audio Porta Corda, etc. - $200
4. Good IEM's -- Shure, Etymotic, etc. $200
5. Nice case (I also love my Vaja) $100
6. The plug-in charger $50

Including the cost of the iPod, that set up would cost me over $1000
All I can say is....

GOD DAMN

Not to sound like a goofball, but what purpose do these serve?

3. Portable headphone amp -- Headroom Total Airhead, Meier Audio Porta Corda, etc. - $200
confused.gif

Thanks Again!

Milan

Oct 14, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #93 of 112
Quote:

I think spending 100$ on a case is nuts, this ought to do for 22$ besides, it's awesome. Also, portable amps that cost under 100$ (PA2V2 at 60$ CDN shipped) will do for a lot of folks. I guess if you've got the cash to burn...

OK, so hopefully people saw that I was being a bit silly with my post. None of that stuff is mandatory! And yes, you can get a good case for $22, and there are headphone amps available for under $100, and you can get the Shure E2c for under $80. And you can use the headphone amp out instead of getting a Pocketdock and using the much better line out.

But the best sound, IMO, means a portable amp with Crossfeed, using the line out, and good headphones.

JMO!

Oct 14, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #94 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockphantom
Including the cost of the iPod, that set up would cost me over $1000
All I can say is....

GOD DAMN

Not to sound like a goofball, but what purpose do these serve?

confused.gif

Thanks Again!

Milan

Those things are optional but if you want the best audio experience from an Ipod, they do serve a great purpoe. Sendstation Pocketdock provides a line out signal. It connects to the bottom of the iPod and allows you connect a cable with 2 mini plugs that plug into an portable headphone amp which is used to get better sound to put it in simpler terms.

Oct 14, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #95 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
What about those new iPod Sock protectors? Cheezy or not?

icon10.gif

lm_altview_m9720ga.jpg

Pricey but actually quite functional. I've been using one for a while now with my old 3g that's pretty scratchy however, I'm almost certain the sock will scratch a brand new ipod.

Oct 14, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #97 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
OK, so hopefully people saw that I was being a bit silly with my post. None of that stuff is mandatory!

'Mandatory' is a very subjective word around here
tongue.gif

I was just trying to ensure that the guy knows that there avenues to get good sound without dropping a mint. Sort of goes against the grain but what the hell!

Oct 14, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #99 of 112
I have finally been sold on this thing, gonna go order a 60gb black one after work with the camera adapter. What sold me on this is being able to transfer all the photos and videos i take with my canon sd400 and be able to actually watch the videos on the ipod is awesome. Plus, I love the black color and I am starting get really cramped on space on my 4G 20gb with <1.5 gigs left and still have plenty of cds and newly bought ones to rip (+15 gigs or more of mp3s I haven't even imported into iTunes). Even though the TV shows and music videos on iTunes seems gimmicky, 1.99 for an episode of lost seems like it could be cool to have.

Oct 15, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #100 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB06
I have finally been sold on this thing, gonna go order a 60gb black one after work with the camera adapter.

If its not too late, order the connector from Apple, not Belkin's since it won't be compatibe with the new ipod. Info here.

Oct 15, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #101 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis
Pricey but actually quite functional. I've been using one for a while now with my old 3g that's pretty scratchy however, I'm almost certain the sock will scratch a brand new ipod.

That is true. The sock scratches the iPod as tested on a brand new U2 one.

Oct 15, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #103 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis

I wouldn't doubt it. Even thin air scrathes them.

Oct 15, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #104 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by mishkakrisa
....but will the Sendstation Pocketdock work with the new ipod? Thanks guys.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

According to this page:
http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/
it will work

I think it's probably because it doesn't depend on the actual shape of the ipod casing, just on the connector (which hasn't changed apart from the removal of firewire).

Oct 15, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #105 of 112
I've been using an iPod sock for my 20GB colour model for the past couple of months. It definitely leaves some subtle scratches (only noticeable because they're all at the same angle), but as someone else said, breathing on an iPod is practically enough to scratch it. I have no doubt my iPod would look like **** if it hadn't been in the sock.

I would not buy the socks again if I had a choice of cases. I really like the "sock" idea, because it's extremely easy to take the iPod out of the case (it's only in the case when it's in my pocket or bag). I don't like silicone cases that make it hard to take the iPod out - I remember reading a post on ilounge by a guy who covered his iPod with PDA protectors and put it in a silicone case the moment he took it out of the box. That is just weird... pay all that money for a nice-looking player and never actually see it.

My problem with the socks is that the material they're made of is just not soft enough for the iPod. They also seem to be designed for the older 4G ipods or iPod minis. They easily stretch to fit my colour model, but the fit is a bit tight. They would fit the new 5Gs better. I suggest buying something like the foodpod if you like the sock concept. Either that, or make your own. I have an idea that involves using a microfibre cloth as the lining, but I'm far too lazy to actually do it
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back