Who's Getting a 5G Ipod?
Oct 14, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #77 of 112
The $29 USB power charger is the only thing I'd call basic and essential. It used to come with all iPods back in the day for free
rolleyes.gif

A case is one step below basic, but still important, since the iPod is made of clay-like plastic.

Oct 14, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #78 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Rough estimates

1. The Universal Dock $40
2. A Sendstation Pocketdock $30
3. Portable headphone amp -- Headroom Total Airhead, Meier Audio Porta Corda, etc. - $200
4. Good IEM's -- Shure, Etymotic, etc. $200
5. Nice case (I also love my Vaja) $100
6. The plug-in charger $50

I think spending 100$ on a case is nuts, this ought to do for 22$ besides, it's awesome. Also, portable amps that cost under 100$ (PA2V2 at 60$ CDN shipped) will do for a lot of folks. I guess if you've got the cash to burn...

Oct 14, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #80 of 112
Ok I ordered a black one today, I just couldnt help it, Ive wanted an ipod for far to long and now the 5g in that sick looking black? I am in. Hopefully it gets here soon!

Oct 14, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #81 of 112
Just an idea.. I see that..

http://www.ctistore.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=AP

Is listing the 5 gen ipod at $374.99. Mind you I think this is for the old version but even when you check out they still say it is for a 5 gen ipod, just the model number is wrong. I am thinking you could order one for this price. Free shipping and fight with them to get a 5th Gen ipod for that price. Because it would be a good case of bate and switch. I thought about doing it myself. The first picture shows the new ipod as well, with Bono on the ipod.

[NEW MODEL] iPod 60GB 5th Gen. w/Click Wheel(5 IN STOCK) ---Free Ground Shipping $374.99 $374.99

Oct 14, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #82 of 112
I don't trust the screen. The ipod is really skinny, and I'm worried it could do a screen popping like some ipod nanos did. I'm paranoid because I smashed my 4Gs screen. I don't like the "replace, not repair" policy.

Oct 14, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #83 of 112
I was very close to ordering an iAudio X5, then this comes out. I was wanting the iAudio X5 because I read that it has better sound with the Lossless compression. Are the new iPODs suppose to sound better? I don't want to wait much longer if I don't have to. So once somone can confirm of SQ please post a thread, thanks

Oct 14, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #84 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
You've GOT to be kidding. Too many functions on one control? Is your memory fading?

I can't think of a simpler control mechanism.

I am NOT to be kidding.

Too many functions on one control button means slow response. The dinky click wheel works fine for those who like to gaze at their new toy while working the controls (me, sometimes) but it is crap for tactile feedback when trying to change things on the fly by touch. For example, a few days ago a friend at the gym started asking me a question. If I had hit the pause quickly, I would have heard enough of the question to understand the intent. Instead I reach under my shirt, feel for the control, accidently ramp up the volume, then "click"...

...guess what "click" means. The answer is: not pause! Sometimes it means nothing, sometimes it means pause briefly, then start over at the beginning of the current song. Sometimes it really is pause. In this particular instance, it was jump forward. As always with the nano, I end up yanking out a canal phone and asking the by now puzzled friend to repeat the question, as I yank the headphone plug out of the iritating device.

For my needs, multi-function on a single, small, non-distinguishable disk in the middle of an expanse of similar material = random function generator. It seems like cost cutting gone amok.

Back on topic: could I use the new ipod with a wired remote? I hate the idea of another wire, but a remote with nothing but a pause button could get around the problem. In the mean time I just ignore everybody.

gerG

Oct 14, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #85 of 112
Very good reading

Bah! No rewind or fast forward?! only Apple could get away with such a lazy, **** taking attempt. Every other company would get everything thrown at them in disgust and then the kitchen sink!

Alas, the guy in the article ^ may be right, eventually

Oct 14, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #86 of 112
So wait the new black iPod and nano still come with white headphones? That's kind of stupid, although understandeable...

Still, this does mean that certain headphone makers should start making their models in both white and black.

Okay, shure already does it, Super.fi does it... Hmm. Etymotic should make a black er6i (I wonder how many plain er6's they sell these days anyway).

Oct 14, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #87 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
I am NOT to be kidding.

Too many functions on one control button means slow response. The dinky click wheel works fine for those who like to gaze at their new toy while working the controls (me, sometimes) but it is crap for tactile feedback when trying to change things on the fly by touch. For example, a few days ago a friend at the gym started asking me a question. If I had hit the pause quickly, I would have heard enough of the question to understand the intent. Instead I reach under my shirt, feel for the control, accidently ramp up the volume, then "click"...

...guess what "click" means. The answer is: not pause! Sometimes it means nothing, sometimes it means pause briefly, then start over at the beginning of the current song. Sometimes it really is pause. In this particular instance, it was jump forward. As always with the nano, I end up yanking out a canal phone and asking the by now puzzled friend to repeat the question, as I yank the headphone plug out of the iritating device.

For my needs, multi-function on a single, small, non-distinguishable disk in the middle of an expanse of similar material = random function generator. It seems like cost cutting gone amok.

Back on topic: could I use the new ipod with a wired remote? I hate the idea of another wire, but a remote with nothing but a pause button could get around the problem. In the mean time I just ignore everybody.

gerG

hmm.. yeah ok, i see your point.. i have accidentally cranked the volume or skipped the track when it's in my pocket and i can't tell which way it's pointing.. usually when it's in my jacket..

one way around that is the fantastic (imo) wireless remote, iJet.. that thing was pretty much the best accessory i ever bought for my iPod(s).. worked really well, perfect for just that sorta thing..

too bad apple's ditched the remote port.. im eager to see if any 3rd party manufacturers will release a new style wireless remote that will plug into the dock port instead..

Oct 14, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #89 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbilsbor
So wait the new black iPod and nano still come with white headphones? That's kind of stupid, although understandeable...

Apple still wants us to be walking advertisments for them...

icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back