whole Albums -or- random Songs?
Mar 9, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #46 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree completely. There have been some pretty amazing greatest hits compilations:

The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
Madonna - The Immaculate Collection

I never said they were bad collections of songs, though many of them are (or at least strange collections of songs that don't represent an artist's best work).

I just think listening to them is silly and terrible. It was a sad day when Zeppelin released Mothership. To see throngs of people buying that (I work in a big record store) almost brought a tear to my eye.

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #51 of 64
Cassette recorders freed me from albums and digital has freed me from cassettes. Most albums have a load of crap songs on them. I prefer to cherry pick my favorites whenever possible. Technology is great!

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #52 of 64
I'm about fifty-fifty. Most albums, yeah, but if I'm not in the mood for a whole album I"ll pick a song or two and mix n' match.

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #53 of 64
I think it depends on the album. I have a lot of albums in which I only really really like a few tracks. But usually if I love an album I keep the whole album. Although sometimes I do take out a track or two because I think you can remove one or two tracks and still keep the main theme of the album.

Also I feel with many artists single songs alone tell there own short story in the book of music that each album is.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #55 of 64
Albums for sure.
Because its convenient, and because thats they way the artist probably want us to do.

Apr 11, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #56 of 64
Yep, albums all the way...for the timing, contrast, chapters in a story...

Apr 12, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #58 of 64
Albums - almost exclusively. There is nothing like like listening to the entire album as it was originally designed to be heard. If an artist is can't make an album where you want to listen to the whole thing, then in most cases they are not worth listening to at all.

There are exceptions, but almost always I put on an album and listen to the entire thing. I can't imagine listening to one track of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, The Who's Tommy, Paul Simon's Graceland, Dire Strait's Brothers in Arms, or Desperado by the Eagles to name a few.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #59 of 64
Mostly albums for me too. And I NEVER skip songs when I'm in an album-listening mood, because I guess I focus a lot on the artists' intentions.

I go through phases every once in a while when I can't think of an album I want to listen to at a particular moment, and then I create very thoughtful playlists. After a while, those playlists are put together with enough contemplation that I know the order of the songs on the playlist better than some of the albums that I pulled the songs from!

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #60 of 64
Mark from HFR, that was the best reply!!
biggrin.gif

I prefer to listen to a whole album, but that varies by artist. Some make an album have an artistic meaning in itself, others throw some stuff together. Than again, I have limited time, so I may pick and choose.
Fortunately when listening to classical music you don't have this problem much, if there are several pieces on an album they can be easily listened to independently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back