whole Albums -or- random Songs?
Jun 25, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #31 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
while Money is distinctly a "single" on a concept album, to me it doesn't feel out of place,

I think how we are exposed to a song can cause this 'effect' . . . . I recall Tull's "Bungle In The Jungle" from War Child, I felt it was too commercial sounding for the Tull I had come to love. Until I played the album and saw the concert that tour and realized it fit in well with the rest of the album. My exposire to FM radio had poisoned my impression of the song!

Thankfully today we have options like Satelitte Radio, Internet Radio and DAP's

Jun 25, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #32 of 64
Albums. I may skip through a track here or there on some albums, but I they're always there to be played.

I do listen to a lot of stuff that flows through a whole album, but even those few that don't, it's still all there.

Jun 26, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #33 of 64
As I've gotten older (not that I'm very old, mind you) my tastes have switched more to music and artists that can be enjoyed as entire albums, so that's what I do now. It feels disconnected to listen to a stream of singles now that I'm used to whole albums. This approach, has in turn, made me more discriminating when it comes to purchasing CDs: I won't buy an album unless I'm confident I'll like 75% of the music.

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #34 of 64
When I'm actively listening, I always listen to whole album, unless I'm listening for changes in my system or comparing different components. When I have music on as a backgroung (i.e., listening to iPod while doing something else) for something else I'm doing, I usually put my iPod on shuffle songs.

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #35 of 64
I believe that some songs need the help of the rest of the album to be able to portray the concept of the individual song.
It depends on what the artist has in mind when he creates the music. sometimes songs are made to mesh with others on the album, and sometimes they aren't. Some songs have the power to stand out alone, and were meant to be that way!
With that said I'm kind of on the line on this issue. But I definitely listen in boith ways, it just depends on the feel.

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan T
I'm definitely a fan of albums. I like how a lot of albums play more like movies than groups of songs.

Ironically, when I listen to "Dark Side of the Moon" I have to skip "Money." What a horrible song to be stuck in the middle of a great album.

Bryan

LOL. Your honesty is refreshing. Even in the middle of my most prized and favorite albums, there are those songs you just have to skip past (or just go take your bathroom break
icon10.gif
).

Sometimes it's just that I don't dig the song that much, but I have to say that commercial radio is partly to blame for that. Too much airplay has taken many decent rock songs/ballads and turned them into bad sonic wallpaper ("Stairway to Heaven" comes to mind).

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #38 of 64
Full albums no doubt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
If I dont like an album, but I like a few songs - I wont buy that album.

Yeah, I feel like this most of the time also. My music collection is small enough right now so that it will continue to be possible to buy albums that only have songs I like for a while. However, sometimes if I really like an album by a particular artist, I will buy his/her/their other stuff as well mainly in order to support them.

Jun 28, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #39 of 64
I just follow what I'm feeling at that time.

I may like the whole album, but I might be tired of hearing that song or have started to dislike that particular song for whatever reason.

But this mostly happens in the car where my cd collection is small
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #40 of 64
I was about to repost this poll - good thing I ran a search. I'll just bump it instead.

If I'm in the mood for a particular song I'll skip to it, but for the most part, I enjoy listening to albums as a whole. I'm pretty stingy when it comes to buying music, so my collection is relatively small and I spend a lot of time researching which albums I purchase, but I love the albums I do have in their entirety.

Also, about playing albums on "random": I played in a garage band in high school, and the summer after we graduated with recorded our best songs in our drummer's living room. I remember debating for hours about what the track order would be, only to have our friends listen to the album on "random". Oh well.

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #41 of 64
Albums, of course.

Shuffling songs or listening to greatest hits compilations should be a federal crime.

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Albums, of course.

Shuffling songs or listening to greatest hits compilations should be a federal crime.

Back in middle school when I was just getting into music, I loved "best of"s, and I found them helpful to explore different bands. Now that I have a much more mature musical experience I totally agree - except maybe not quite punishable by law
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #44 of 64
Quote:

listening to greatest hits compilations should be a federal crime.

I disagree completely. There have been some pretty amazing greatest hits compilations:

The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
Madonna - The Immaculate Collection

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Albums, of course.

I would disagree as well, to some extent.

If it is a new artist I am not familiar with and I want a "sampling" then nothing is better than "greatest hits" type albums.

Of course if I like what I hear then I must get the other stuff.

I also found myself to be a discography type of person, where if I really like an artist then I must have it all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back