Who would consider using their mobile phone as music player?
Dec 4, 2009 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

The-One

500+ Head-Fier
With my current DAP Cowon A3 slowly dying, and the fact that my nokia N86 has music player and can take a SD card in, I'm thinking of just using that to play music on the go. Especially as most of my music listening these days is infront of my computer rig.

Anyone else considering or already using their phones to play their music?

Yes, this would be sacrilege to those with an imod and blinged out amp and lod etc, but I hardly regard that as portable or feasible and would never go down that route again (I had an iriver 140 with Xin Supermacro 4 amp for a while years ago).

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #2 of 50
I don't think I will ever. I only use it to play music on speaker when I'm with a group of bored friends with nothing to do(i.e. waiting in line).

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by The-One /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else considering or already using their phones to play their music?

If I found a phone small enough and cheap enough and wanted to retire my current bare-bones phone? Sure, why not.

Would I go out of my way (or decide to spend extra) to buy a Walkman phone or similar device for its music capability, bundled headphones, etc? Not a chance.

They are still general-purpose devices to me that tend to have their design priorities all over the place and aren't worthy of the price premium (unless someone can convince me otherwise).

...but then again I dislike 98% of non-phone offerings too, so take this for what you will
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 50
I use my Xperia as a music player, has 4 gigs in it,which is enough for me. I use it with stock in ear phones, and the sound quality is very good.

I've used D2 with creative stone and some koss headphones, but it was so bulky so I've switched to x1 and been happy ever since.

Dec 4, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 50
I do, once in a while.
Listening to music on the road using my Sony Ericsson cellular and its corresponding headset.

Dec 4, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 50
My Moto Droid I use on occasion, but ONLY on occasion. Otherwise, the only phone that's close is the iPhone (IMO - YMMV).

Dec 4, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think I will ever. I only use it to play music on speaker when I'm with a group of bored friends with nothing to do(i.e. waiting in line).

Exactly what i do
beerchug.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 50
I would expect that most iPhone users use their phone as a music player (me included) and probably also most users of Nokia or Sony walkman like models

Dec 4, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 50
new nokia E72 has a dedicated audio chip processor which make its music quality good...sound stage is wide....+ 16G micro sd....and it become a reliable dap....+ good web browser....+ ebook reader.....+ video player for divx & mp4.......good hot gadget....processor is fast...the same as iphone.

Dec 4, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 50
Both my nokia mobile and iRiver mp3 player broke at the same time. So I went ahead and ordered a Sony Ericsson w995 to combine both. So the w995 better be a good music player!!
angry_face.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 50
I've been using my Nokia N86 to play a few tracks etc to see what's it's like. Sonically, well it's ok, it's a phone, not a piece of hi fi kit.

But the one thing I can't live with is how it arrange music files. It doesn't play files in the order you arrange them in a folder. It insists on rearranging every musif file into their own album with their own folder, and once one folder has been played; refuses to play the next. Nevermind since I download mp3s from the net, the album name is just pointless.

I blame the ipod for this trend of not organising music library by folder.

Dec 5, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by The-One /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using my Nokia N86 to play a few tracks etc to see what's it's like. Sonically, well it's ok, it's a phone, not a piece of hi fi kit.

But the one thing I can't live with is how it arrange music files. It doesn't play files in the order you arrange them in a folder. It insists on rearranging every musif file into their own album with their own folder, and once one folder has been played; refuses to play the next. Nevermind since I download mp3s from the net, the album name is just pointless.

I blame the ipod for this trend of not organising music library by folder.

try FolderPlay app
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #15 of 50
My old Sony Ericsson w810i sounds fantastic and, so long as I remember to bring the adapter to plug the phones into, can hold it's own against many other players and comes in handy for my daily back and fro commute to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back