Who would consider using their mobile phone as music player?
Dec 6, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by righteousball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep considering, I keep switching to the phone for music, and then I keep switching back to dedicated DAPs.

It comes down to two things: first, the phone's music player is often not as smooth, or it'll have certain utility issues and be inconvenient. I'm on Windows Mobile, and I've tried pretty much every software. I consider this problem solved if you have the iPhone, it's hands down the best implementation of a non-streaming music player on the phone.

Second, it's nice when everything works, but the battery draw is a very big issue. Modern day phones don't really have the battery life for me to do everything I want in a single day PLUS heavy browsing/listening of music.

hi, I'm using my E72 to do everything now....sound quality is really good...I also own S739 and this E72 is superb ! no hiss with both sony EX 90 & IE8....bass is present, good clarity, sparkling treble, sound stage is wide...also I travelling a lot ! make a phone calls, checking emails, chatting & browsing thru gprs and the battery is last for more than 1 day with 2 battery bar left....not bad at all right ? while from now on I don't need to bring any laptop with me. if the battery is still left a couple of bars at the evening, then I watch divx / mp4 movie or reading e-book then I re-charge my battery at night just to prepare for the heavy use tomorrow......believe, this beat I phone's battery....

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Badsam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used my PSP Slim as my main player for about a year, it didn't sound too good but then again looking back most of my music at the time was 128kbps MP3.. so... yeah
k701smile.gif
it probably does sound quite good with the right 'phones

I love the PSP's sound, but those headphone outputs are the usual puny Sony type, limiting what you can hook up to it and drive to adequate volumes.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by wcahyono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, I'm using my E72 to do everything now....sound quality is really good

Hey there! Nokia's decided they're not going to sell the E72 where I live :p~~ Glad you found the right piece of equipment for you
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #35 of 50
I think the people who have the best results with using a smartphone as a dap will most likely be using a portable amp/dac/usb combo, avoiding the headphone out. The main exceptions are obviously the iPhone which can use the LoD instead, and some sony units.

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by stingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My old Sony Ericsson w810i sounds fantastic and, so long as I remember to bring the adapter to plug the phones into, can hold it's own against many other players and comes in handy for my daily back and fro commute to work.

lolwut? MY SE W810i has insane noise. I confirmed on some other sites and GSMArena I think that there's a ridiculous amount of noise. HiSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. The extremes of the spectra like low and highs aren't that great either. It's mediocre at best. I believe newer W-series are a LOT better though. Even my Nokia N82 felt better than my W810i. Of course my iPod was way better than both.

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #38 of 50
Well, why not post the obvious. Sales of dedicated players are already trending down. Why?

Phones

It is pretty well accepted on these forums that the iphone 3GS, for example, is a darn good audio device.

Certainly good enough for mp3 files. As stated above, Pandora and Slacker sound mighty fine. I don't have an opinion on LastFM yet. Sirius/XM is spotty though.

Oh yes, Orb does a nice job of reaching back to the home rig for Wav files....sounds pretty good really. I like treating the home machine as an "ultimate server".

It is the "features plus" that makes the phone such a compelling platform.

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #40 of 50
I use my touch HD occasionaly, when I've forgotten my mp3 player or the battery is flat.
It's alright but nothing spectacular and does well enough for emergency use. The battery doesn't last long so I only use it for short periods at most.
Better than my old sony at any rate.

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #43 of 50
I've had a couple of SE Walkman cellphones over the last couple of years (W395 & W595) - Both had issues with background hiss that drove me quietly mad over a period of time, to the point I can't bear using either of them.

So nope, iPod in one pocket and phone in the other - That's the way I'm keeping it until I can afford a iPhone.

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #45 of 50
Hi all, noob 1st post!

These days I use my 5800XM as my principal portable player, basically to save space in my pockets as I don't want to carry a phone and an iPod around. Works for me.

I only ever take my iPod if I'm travelling on a long journey and I know the phone battery won't last long enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back