Who will win the FIFA world cup?
Jul 8, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #331 of 495
I'm actually looking forward more to the Germany v. Uruguay game than the final itself. Uruguay for whatever reason, and despite the fact that I don't like them, is fairly fun to watch (though not as interesting as Ghana was). And it's always interesting to watch Diego Forlan keep using free kicks to get around walls and score.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #332 of 495
Go Holland!

(gotta have a vote for the underdog)

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #333 of 495
Did anyone else notice that Paul the Octopus correctly predited another match? I think he's 100% this World Cup. I'll go with Spain in the final - they look good.

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #334 of 495
I with wait for Pauls verdict before I decide... But yes I do cheer for spain... Holland has to many actresses in their team.

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #336 of 495
to sum up the match:spain really deserved to win although i dont like them....ok i hate them!

Villa should have been substituted way earlier than that,he played bad and was attempting to get a goal by himself without thinking about his team or the win,every chance he got infront of the goal he lost it because he didnt want to pass it to the other players.
i like Torres way more.

Pedro shouldnt play the next match because of what he did and not passing to Torres.

Puyol goal was one of the finest in this worldcup,he was so determined to get it in the goal.

Anyone else feel that Holland doesnt deserve to be in the final?i feel their worldcup path was smooth and they didnt play with strong teams except maybe Brazil(but they were bad in that match).

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #337 of 495

Quote:
to sum up the match:spain really deserved to win although i dont like them....ok i hate them!

Villa should have been substituted way earlier than that,he played bad and was attempting to get a goal by himself without thinking about his team or the win,every chance he got infront of the goal he lost it because he didnt want to pass it to the other players.
i like Torres way more.

Pedro shouldnt play the next match because of what he did and not passing to Torres.

Puyol goal was one of the finest in this worldcup,he was so determined to get it in the goal.

Anyone else feel that Holland doesnt deserve to be in the final?i feel their worldcup path was smooth and they didnt play with strong teams except maybe Brazil(but they were bad in that match).

I love Spain, but fell asleep after 20 minutes though I was really tired and ended up sleeping for 10 hours.
Villa has always always needed someone to act as foil for him e.g. Llorente and Torres. This sounds similar to the match against the Swiss where the Spanish lacked the bite, but then again, they did look better going forward in this match compared to against the Swiss.

Pedro was probably trying to justify why he should start ahead of Torres by shooting and trying to score. Had he scored, there wouldn't be this issue I suppose.

If they had employed the same type of game today with Torres in and probably even Llorente, I am fairly certain they could have scored more (but who knows with Torres in the form he is in). For the first 20 minutes, they looked more like the Spain of old, willing to attempt through passes which never happened with Torres on the team (in this World cup) except for the first match where Torres missed a few and his team mates just never bothered trying ever again, be it tactics or not.

This is the primary reason why Villa performs for Spain and Torres doesn't. They don't thread the passes through for Torres and he really just acts as foil for Spain more than anything else. I'm willing to debate this point because it is all I've seen this WC. But I'm also willing to concede that Torres had a rubbish campaign so far. Look at it this way, all the time when they couldn't score or they felt Torres was ineffective, he was taken off before the 60th minute. This match, they waited till Puyol scored (73rd minute) and the 80th minute for the first substitution. How do you give Torres a chance if you neither pass him the ball nor play him in the right position?

I have to admit that Pedro does more running than Torres though. Torres has really really looked off colour though whether it is from his lack of confidence or other factors, I will not speculate any further.

Anyway, just a gripe I see happening.
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #338 of 495

Quote:
I'm actually looking forward more to the Germany v. Uruguay game than the final itself. Uruguay for whatever reason, and despite the fact that I don't like them, is fairly fun to watch (though not as interesting as Ghana was). And it's always interesting to watch Diego Forlan keep using free kicks to get around walls and score.

No-one who claims to like football can possibly prefer to watch the Uruguay vs Germany game.

Games for 3rd position in the World Cup are just a mere formality. These games lack any real interest since once a team doesn't make it through to the final it simply doen't matter who comes 3rd or 4th. People always talk about the champion and runner-up. Also, for some reason it is often the case that the final isn't as exciting as some of the quarter & semi final matches. Perhaps there's far too much at stake?

Hopefully the Spanish team don't go with a we've-got-it-made attitude after beating Germany. Also, I really hope Torres stays on the bench most, if not all, of the game. It'd be great to see some of the following players in action: Llorente, Pedro, Marchena, Cesc & Navas.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #339 of 495

Quote:
No-one who claims to like football can possibly prefer to watch the Uruguay vs Germany game.

Games for 3rd position in the World Cup are just a mere formality. These games lack any real interest since once a team doesn't make it through to the final it simply doen't matter who comes 3rd or 4th. People always talk about the champion and runner-up. Also, for some reason it is often the case that the final isn't as exciting as some of the quarter & semi final matches. Perhaps there's far too much at stake?

Hopefully the Spanish team don't go with a we've-got-it-made attitude after beating Germany. Also, I really hope Torres stays on the bench most, if not all, of the game. It'd be great to see some of the following players in action: Llorente, Pedro, Marchena, Cesc & Navas.

Llorente looked very good when he was given an opportunity. Pedro is hardworking, but lacks the ability to cover Villa and the same would go for the rest unless they replaced someone else in midfield and not a striker, not sure about Marchena though. Navas is decent and enterprising, but lacks the finishing touch and the overall awareness that Xavi and Iniesta possess I reckon.

I would have loved to see Silva though.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #340 of 495
Germany to beat Uruguay and Spain to beat the Netherlands, sadly making it three out of three final defeats for the Dutch.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #341 of 495

Quote:
Llorente looked very good when he was given an opportunity. Pedro is hardworking, but lacks the ability to cover Villa and the same would go for the rest unless they replaced someone else in midfield and not a striker, not sure about Marchena though. Navas is decent and enterprising, but lacks the finishing touch and the overall awareness that Xavi and Iniesta possess I reckon.

I would have loved to see Silva though.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Silva! A very good player indeed. And no, definitely no substitutions for Xavi & Iniesta; they MUST play the whole match.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #342 of 495

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about Silva! A very good player indeed. And no, definitely no substitutions for Xavi & Iniesta; they MUST play the whole match.

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back