Who will win the FIFA world cup?
Jul 13, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #481 of 495
It seems that Holland put up a good fight, the referees could have done much better, and the better team won a very competitive match. Is that about the jist of it?

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #483 of 495

Quote:

I'm not even against the way the Dutch played it - they knew Spain were better than them so they tried to stop them from playing. It may have made a dull match from a neutral perspective but I can totally get their reasoning and they are entitled to try and win the match rather than let Spain make mincemeat of them just so Cruyff won't say they played "anti-football" at the end of it...

But don't blame the referee - you got that many yellow cards because you committed that many yellow card offenses (AT LEAST) and you got away with a pretty blatant straight red as well!

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.

Now you agree??you are such a Hipocrate.
isnt that what i said from the begining and you played all smart on me and made fun of me?

Quote:
Ha,ok Mr.Expert,Mr.I know everything about football and you all bunch of losers.

Holland was controlling spain from the balls all the match.They know that they are no match for Spain that's why they were kicking,boxing,Kung fuying,low blowing every single player of the Spanish team.And that's what made the Spanish players are disconnected and there were no signs of Villa and Xavi together except at one play at the end of the match.

The Dutch players were smart,and the coach prepared the game play very very well.they succeeded to make the Spanish players out of their focus and in making them nervous.

The pressure from the Netherland was insane and it recquired alot of stamina to run constantly from a player to player.

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #485 of 495
Quote:

As much as I did not think not much of the final it was a very close 'fought' match for both teams. The referee Webb could have done better and more red cards should have been drawn for both teams. Some mean fouls were made, oh yeah. That written it could have gone either way. The Spanish team was lucky, very lucky with the winning goal. 

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #487 of 495
I wasnt really bothered who won when it got to the final as i was allready a winner either way as i had put money down on both spain and the netherlands to win before South Africa had kicked the first ball of the tournament.

So i was a happy bunny :D

Now help me spend my hard won cash!

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #488 of 495

Quote:
Now you agree??you are such a Hipocrate.
isnt that what i said from the begining and you played all smart on me and made fun of me?

Quote:

Ha,ok Mr.Expert,Mr.I know everything about football and you all bunch of losers.

Holland was controlling spain from the balls all the match.They know that they are no match for Spain that's why they were kicking,boxing,Kung fuying,low blowing every single player of the Spanish team.And that's what made the Spanish players are disconnected and there were no signs of Villa and Xavi together except at one play at the end of the match.

The Dutch players were smart,and the coach prepared the game play very very well.they succeeded to make the Spanish players out of their focus and in making them nervous.

The pressure from the Netherland was insane and it recquired alot of stamina to run constantly from a player to player.

midoo1990,

You'd make a terrible scientist and a disastrous journalist. You might try becoming a corrupt politician maybe? Oh, but that requires you to not be so reactive & insulting and you'd need to practice the art of smiling more. Perhaps writing an annual (not monthly or weekly) gossip column for 10 year-old children is more up your alley.

A couple of things I've noticed:

1- You quoted your own post, which is # 452 in this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/493076/who-will-win-the-fifa-world-cup/450#post_6774638). This time, however, you chose to leave out the last paragraph of that post:

"The only reason I wanted Spain to win is because of the fierce unfair play from Holland,otherwise if you ask me and ask any Real Football experts and critics(not yourself included) they will say that Holland played very very well if not better than Spain."

2- Earlier, 8 posts before your post, in post # 444 (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/493076/who-will-win-the-fifa-world-cup/435#post_6774441) the poster said on the last paragraph:

"The best thing I can say about Holland is that they played exactly like they had to win. They can´t beat Spain fair and square they have to destroy the game to have a chance"

I soon replied in post # 447 and fully quoting post #444:

"Very accurate description, in my view, of what really happened last night."

3- Now you also quoted post # 475 (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/493076/who-will-win-the-fifa-world-cup/465#post_6777133) and also chose to leave out the first half of that post.

I did agree FULLY with posts 444 & 475 -- I could not agree fully with yours.

Moreover, I found it unnecessary to dissect your posts and list the very few things I agreed with and all others I didn't. It wasn't worth the effort. There's so much rubbish & nonsense in them that I simply chose to say you don't know much about football. This obviously caused you great offence because you still maintain you know quite a bit about the sport.

Now, hypocrite - which is what I think you meant to say rather than Hipocrate - is not something I am known to be. As it turns out I'm known to be quite the opposite. But, I guess you've made up your mind already and will not believe that.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #494 of 495
I like it when they beat the cr@p out of each other as well.

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #495 of 495

Spain worthy winners on a tough night for Webb

BBC News
Paul Fletcher | 07:37 UK time, Monday, 12 July 2010

World Cup 2010: Johannesburg

Tears poured from the face of Spain captain Iker Casillas at the sound of the final whistle - but there was no sadness from the goalkeeper, only joy. Andres Iniesta's goal four minutes before the end of extra-time had given the Spanish their first World Cup triumph - and there is no doubt that they deserved it.

They might have lost their opening game but they won the six that followed and conceded just twice in the entire tournament. They may have scored a mere eight goals - the lowest tally ever by a trophy-winning side - and won all their knock-out games 1-0 but this was no repeat of Greece in Euro 2004, no attempt by a limited team to pack their midfield, stifle their opponents and strike on the counter attack.

No, this Spain team moved the football and teased their opposition with intelligence, skill and technical brilliance. They did it until their opponents could no longer resist the passing and probing of a team that treated the ball as its friend, even the much-reviled Jabulani.

There was no finer example of that than Sunday's final encounter at Soccer City. The Netherlands left nothing on the field after a performance that saw them harass and harry their opponents but Spain enjoyed 60% of the possession and gradually ran their opponents into the ground.

It was not a major surprise that, apart from Sergio Ramos's early header, Vicente del Bosque's side created most of their openings in the latter stage of the contest.

The timing of Iniesta's winner was also consistent with Spain's manner of victory in the knock-out stages of this competition. They scored after 63 minutes against Portugal, 82 against Paraguay, 73 against Germany and 116 in the final. They passed their opponents into submission before delivering the decisive blow.

Just look at the statistics. Going into Sunday's match, Spain completed 3,387 passes, with Xavi alone executing 464 of them and Gerard Pique, a central defender, totalling 378. The Netherlands, in contrast, managed 2,434.

Spain deserved to win this World Cup, as Iniesta claimed after the game, but this was not a classic final, far from it. The first half was extremely disappointing.

There was a definite niggle between the two sets of players - and plenty of theatrics. Robben was particularly guilty, both in the way he protested against decisions and the manner in which he went to ground.

The Netherlands were obviously intent on stopping Spain, although Dutch coach Bert van Marwijk insisted his players stayed within the law. "It is not our style to commit horrible fouls, it is not our kind of football," he pleaded.

Nine bookings and a red card for defender John Heitinga tell a different story, although Marwijk laid some of the blame at the door of referee Howard Webb, the first Englishman to take charge of a World Cup final since Jack Taylor in 1974.

The 38-year-old Yorkshireman set a new record for a World Cup final by issuing a total of 14 yellow cards during the contest.

There is no doubt that he made a few mistakes. He should arguably have given Nigel de Jong a straight red in the opening half after the Manchester City midfielder floored Xabi Alonso with an absurdly high boot to his opponent's chest. Dutch enforcer Mark van Bommel could also have been sent from the field for repeated fouling, including a crude scythe on Iniesta that resulted in a booking.

But it was Webb's display in the final few minutes that really infuriated the Dutch, in particular his failure to award them a corner when a free-kick took a sizeable deflection off Fabregas. Webb gave a goal-kick instead - and within a minute, Spain scored.

At the final whistle, the official was surrounded by complaining Dutchmen, with Robben briefly suspending his crushing disappointment to run towards the official, thereby joining several team-mates in close proximity of the referee.

Yet Robben might be better served contemplating how he missed a gilt-edged chance to put his side in front in the second half. I thought he was his team's most threatening player but, after collecting a wonderful defence-splitting pass from Wesley Sneijder, he could find no way beyond the excellent Casillas.
It was a real head-in-hands moment for the ex-Chelsea player - and the camera cut back to him several times over the following minute, each time capturing an image of disbelief.

It came as no surprise when Webb was roundly booed by the Netherlands supporters as he collected his medal but the Dutch had a plan to stop a superior team - and that plan was always going to bring the referee into play.

But enough about Webb. Let's now focus on the match-winner: Iniesta.
I am a huge fan of the 26-year-old midfielder, who is not only a gifted footballer but also, it seems to me, a man of huge integrity. After scoring the goal that gave Spain victory, he removed his top to reveal a T-shirt with a hand-written message on it. We have seen plenty of these down the years but this one struck me as being particularly memorable. It said: "Dani Jarque: siempre con nosotros". It means "Dani Jarque - always with us" and refers to the Espanyol player who died at the age of 26 on a pre-season tour last year.

Espanyol are city rivals of Barcelona but Iniesta was a team-mate of Jarque's with the Spanish Under-17, Under-19, Under-20 and Under-21 teams. The two men were great friends and Iniesta was greatly upset by Jarque's death.

Iniesta's gesture was without doubt my favourite moment of the final. It told me that Iniesta and his team have a style and class that transcends their footballing ability.

Without question, Spain are worthy champions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back