Who will win the FIFA world cup?
Jul 12, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #451 of 495
The Sun is not my favourite newspaper but here's their take on last night's match:  http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/worldcup2010/3049624/Holland-0-Spain1.html

JUSTICE was done.

Spain were rightly crowned world champions for the first time to add to their European title of two years ago while the Dutch were guilty of crimes against football.

The Spanish bulls tried to play the game and it would have been a scandal had Holland nicked it by kicking Vicente Del Bosque's team off the park.

As it was, Andres Iniesta's winner four minutes from the end of extra time, which he rattled into the corner from a pass by sub Cesc Fabregas, sparked a fiesta.

Iniesta typifies Spain's approach. They want to pass the ball, run with it, love it and entertain.

Ironically it is what the Dutch "total football" sides of the 70s used to do but this one was a disgrace to their memory - this was more "total thuggery".

Holland collected nine yellow cards and a red for Everton's Johnny Heitinga while Spain, in the face of serious provocation, got five of their own.

That established a rather dubious World Cup record for English referee Howard Webb for the number of yellow cards dished out in a final - 14. The previous record was six in 1986.

Dutch players surrounded Webb at the end berating him for goodness knows what. They were lucky they only had one man sent off. It could have been three.

This final will not be remembered as a classic, nor indeed will the competition as a whole but you have to hand it to Spain.

So many of their teams of yesteryear were dismal failures despite possessing plenty of talent but this group allies skill with grit and determination.

It is amazing to reflect that Spain actually lost their first game of the competition to unheralded Switzerland and were in danger of going out.

But they got it together to break German resolve in the semi-final and overcame the aggression of the Dutch who are now three-time losers in World Cup finals.

Former Chelsea winger Arjen Robben had said he was only interested in winning rather than playing beautiful football but in the end his team achieved neither.

Robben missed two golden chances when one-on-one with keeper Iker Casillas, although on the second occasion he was raging at referee Webb, claiming he was pulled back by Carles Puyol.

Spain started brightly with a Sergio Ramos header forcing a diving save out of Maarten Stekelenburg, and David Villa volleying Xabi Alonso's cross into the side netting.

But the first half was more notable for a series of nasty fouls of which the Dutch were by far the worst offenders.

There were five bookings in the space of 14 minutes, the worst of which was when Manchester City's Nigel de Jong karate-kicked Alonso in the chest.

Holland did not create much but, on 37 minutes, Mark van Bommel completely miskicked Robben's short corner and it fell to Joris Mathijsen who was so surprised he kicked fresh air.

Then right on half-time, Robben forced a save out of Casillas at the near post.

Spain were the dominant force though and early in the second half Puyol headed across goal but Joan Capdevila was half asleep and, like Mathijsen, missed his kick from four yards out.

It was a game which so needed a goal and that really should have been one.

Heitinga made it a not so magnificent seven cautions when he was late on Villa and it was difficult to imagine how we could possibly finish with 22 players on the pitch.

There had been so many bookings it was easy to lose count and though Webb was turning out to be the central figure he had called them right.

A spot of football finally broke out on 62 minutes.

Wesley Sneijder cleverly released Robben through the middle and the winger was away with only Casillas to beat.

Robben took aim towards the left corner and, though Casillas dived the other way, he managed to get a boot to the ball and divert it past the post.

Robben held his head in his hands as team-mates fell to the floor in anguish. It was a big, big chance.

The game was opening up and, when Heitinga fell over trying to clear, Villa had a brilliant opportunity but his shot hit the grounded Everton defender.

Had Spain lost, Ramos would have been cursing for he should have scored with 13 minutes left instead of heading Xavi's corner over when unmarked. There was another chance for Robben as he broke and seemed to be pulled back by Puyol - who had already been booked.

Surprisingly, for a player who usually goes down easily, Robben kept on his feet and got into the box but, when he tried to go round Casillas, the keeper saved.

Robben went after the ref claiming a free-kick and a sending off for Puyol but Webb had correctly played advantage.

On came Fabregas for Alonso with four minutes of normal time remaining.

The Arsenal star put extra life into the Spanish play although, like Robben, he was denied in a one-on-one with the keeper as Stekelenburg saved with his boot early in extra time.

Fabregas had another effort which he slid wide but Spain found more space once Heitinga was dismissed with 11 minutes left for pulling back Iniesta.

A cross from Liverpool's Fernando Torres, who had replaced Villa, was cleared only as far as Fabregas.

The Gunner laid the ball off for Iniesta who smashed it across the keeper with his right foot.

Viva Espana!

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #452 of 495

With regards to football you have absolutely no idea how critical I am of the sport whether I live in Spain or not, or whether I support this team or the other.

FYI, I really wanted England to do well in the World Cup; In fact, I wanted them to do VERY well. However, from the early stages of the competition I recognised the English team were just an embarrassment. And, I maintain that some folks -your good self included - seem to have no clue what football is about.

With regards to football you have absolutely no idea how critical I am of the sport whether I live in Spain or not, or whether I support this team or the other.

FYI, I really wanted England to do well in the World Cup; In fact, I wanted them to do VERY well. However, from the early stages of the competition I recognised the English team were just an embarrassment. And, I maintain that some folks -your good self included - seem to have no clue what football is about.

Ha,ok Mr.Expert,Mr.I know everything about football and you all bunch of losers.

Holland was controlling spain from the balls all the match.They know that they are no match for Spain that's why they were kicking,boxing,Kung fuying,low blowing every single player of the Spanish team.And that's what made the Spanish players are disconnected and there were no signs of Villa and Xavi together except at one play at the end of the match.

The Dutch players were smart,and the coach prepared the game play very very well.they succeeded to make the Spanish players out of their focus and in making them nervous.

The pressure from the Netherland was insane and it recquired alot of stamina to run constantly from a player to player.

The only reason I wanted Spain to win is because of the fierce unfair play from Holland,otherwise if you ask me and ask any Real Football experts and critics(not yourself included) they will say that Holland played very very well if not better than Spain.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #453 of 495
everyone is entitled to their own opinion of the game I suppose. We all have different views of tactics, what went on, etc. So perhaps it is better to agree to disagree. What I don't think is right is to claim superiority over others when it is a fairly subjective view.

I have my own views of the WC which I've voiced out a few times, so I'll leave it. But just remember to respect each others as individuals; and even though this is a forum, it doesn't mean proper social decorum may be thrown out the window.

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #455 of 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... any Real Football experts and critics
(not yourself included) they will say that Holland played very very well  if not better than Spain.

After such brilliant pronouncement, midoo1990, all I have to do is apologise. I now realise you're 100% right. And I now recognise that the fact that you are 18 or 19 years of age really shows; your thorough and measured analysis and common sense are simply staggering.

So, my apologies to you again. I am truly very sorry if I ever pretended to know just a little more about this sport than you. Thank you for the lesson - I'll always cherish it.

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #456 of 495
Oh, and here's 4 more articles from 4 rubbish English newspapers, The Independent, The Financial Times, The Guardian & The Daily Telegraph. I'm sure all 4 writers of these articles either live in Spain, are Spanish disguised as British or simply hate Holland. Oh, wait a minute...or they just don't know a thing about football:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/iniesta-settles-war-of-attrition-with-a-moment--of-inspiration-2024506.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/adc39584-8d33-11df-bad7-00144feab49a.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jul/12/world-cup-final-holland-spain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/news/7884419/World-Cup-final-Holland-0-Spain-1-match-report.html

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #457 of 495
Holland played dirty, but there were also many controversial calls from the referee against Holland; and i am not talking about the corner. I guess everyone has to agree that both teams played very well, regardless of how many goals were scored. Villa was not in his usual form and was pretty disappointing, Xavi's free kicks at goals were miserable, but Spain undoubtedly had better strategy overall. One thing i really enjoyed in the match was Robben's runs, he did not succeed at getting the ball through the 3 players, but he was damn fast.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this world cup, esp Germany's matches, I have honestly never seen football played that well.

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #458 of 495

After such brilliant pronouncement, midoo1990, all I have to do is apologise. I now realise you're 100% right. And I now recognise that the fact that you are 18 or 19 years of age really shows; your thorough and measured analysis and common sense are simply staggering.

So, my apologies to you again. I am truly very sorry if I ever pretended to know just a little more about this sport than you. Thank you for the lesson - I'll always cherish it.

Be sarcastic and make fun of me all you wish.I maybe young but that doesn't mean you know more than me.I can refute in any subject you want whether it is from sports to politics and I am entitled to my opinion and couldn't care less of your opinion(or shall I say ego) or the opinion of Journalists.
Holland played VERY VERy well,that is the only way they could have played against a team like Spain.their coach is Smart and the players did what they were told to do: To lock every area in the field and to make the Spanish players lose their focus.And they excelled in doing so,no doubt about it. Wheather they played fairly or not,hell No.half the team should have been kicked out.

At least I have an opinion and stand behind it and not inclined towards the opinion of bunch of newspapers that you have been reading online all night to show how smart YOu are or or show your great unparalleled knowledge of football.

Here I am saying I don't watch football and I am not an expert and I didn't watch the worldcup.there,are you satisfied music?do you feel better of yourself now ?

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #459 of 495

Quote:
Be sarcastic and make fun of me all you wish.I maybe young but that doesn't mean you know more than me.I can refute in any subject you want whether it is from sports to politics and I am entitled to my opinion and couldn't care less of your opinion(or shall I say ego) or the opinion of Journalists.
Holland played VERY VERy well,that is the only way they could have played against a team like Spain.their coach is Smart and the players did what they were told to do: To lock every area in the field and to make the Spanish players lose their focus.And they excelled in doing so,no doubt about it. Wheather they played fairly or not,hell No.half the team should have been kicked out.

At least I have an opinion and stand behind it and not inclined towards the opinion of bunch of newspapers that you have been reading online all night to show how smart YOu are or or show your great unparalleled knowledge of football.

Here I am saying I don't watch football and I am not an expert and I didn't watch the worldcup.there,are you satisfied music?do you feel better of yourself now ?

Oh dear, If I hadn't spent all night, as you suggest, reading those few articles -- after all, it really takes ALL night to read just a bunch of articles -- my life would be utterly worthless and I'd have nothing to say for myself. Let's face it, all I do is just regurgitate what others say. Perhaps I should learn from you, to just have a very strong opinion no matter how unsubstantiated that opinion may be.

Yeah, all those who write in those publications, what do they know? It's only their opinion, right? There are no such things as statistics, facts & experience, right? Everything is just about having an opinion, and all opinions have the same weight right?

And if I had to resort to quoting those articles it is ONLY to display my big, big, BIG ego in public, right? No, definitely nothing to do with trying to prove a point after some of the things said here.

I'm humbled by YOUR humility and willingness to learn.

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #460 of 495

Quote:
Yeah, all those who write in those publications, what do they know? It's only their opinion, right? There are no such things as statistics, facts & experience, right? Everything is just about having an opinion, and all opinions have the same weight right?

I'm humbled by YOUR humility and willingness to learn.

Hasty Generalization.
i am willing to learn and accept others opinions but you cant force an opinion on me and make that nasty generalization that because some reputable newspapers said so they are right.

why do you think there are analysists in all sorts of fields(sports,economics,politics..)?They express their opinion and many many people may say they prefer the analysis of X person rather than Z person.Does that mean that a famous analyser has the last word when it comes to evaluating a situation?does that mean i am stupid and not "Experianced" or know nothing about it just because i have different evaluation?

i am sorry sir,but you are simply wrong in your concept and attitude.

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #461 of 495
Both Spain and Holland deserved the world title in their own way for their play in the tournament and in the final. Spain tried to play skillful and techincal football as favourites and prevailed. Holland tried to prevent spain from playing their football (after seeing Germany loosing that wasnt such a bad idea) from an underdog position and succeeded until the 116th minute. Just different approaches. They made some dirty fouls, but, imo, recieved too many yellow cards. Van Bommel shouldve recieved 2 yellow cards and De Jongs kick was awful (altho surpisingly, those things never lead to a red card it seems), but Heitinga didnt derserve his 2nd sadly.

The biggest loser of the final was refereeing in general, because Webb's performance will only add to the negative attitude against referees sadly. Webb was awfull and it was no wonder that the crowd was booing at him at the end. He booked too many players, didnt see trough some theater of players, was inconsistent and was indirectly responsible for the Spainish goal (obvious corner, but he gave a goalkick which led to the goal, so lots of whatifs there). His decisions slightly favoured Spain (too many yellow cards for Holland, no bookings for schwalbes from Spain and them asking for cards and Iniesta got away with blatant charging of Van Bommel with no football around) but Holland didnt loose because of this. He just killed the match :< 

Anyway I kinda feel like I'm 10 years older after watching that match :p

And good to see that Holland didnt dissappoint and Spain didnt choke like I predicted :)

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #462 of 495

Quote:
Hasty Generalization.
i am willing to learn and accept others opinions but you cant force an opinion on me and make that nasty generalization that because some reputable newspapers said so they are right.

why do you think there are analysists in all sorts of fields(sports,economics,politics..)?They express their opinion and many many people may say they prefer the analysis of X person rather than Z person.Does that mean that a famous analyser has the last word when it comes to evaluating a situation?does that mean i am stupid and not "Experianced" or know nothing about it just because i have different evaluation?

i am sorry sir,but you are simply wrong in your concept and attitude.

What's the use of talking to a brick wall?

I'll make no furher comment or engage with you any further just for you to display a different persona once again - there seem to be a few of them.

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #463 of 495
Well I'll have a say about the World Cup. I don't particularly care about who wins such an event (and yes I am Dutch), but I just wanted to say this. You know how people sometimes say that judged sports aren't really sports at all because you can't objectively 'measure' who wins (e.g. gymnastics)?

Well, the matches of the World Cup have really shown that football is probably the worst 'judged' sport out there.

I'm not a huge football fan but I like to watch World Cup matches to hopefully see some amazing football. Many (many, many) ref calls this World Cup were questionable at best, plainly wrong at worst.

Can't the FIFA take a hint and start using advanced technology available these days?

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #464 of 495

Quote:
Very accurate description, in my view, of what really happened last night.

You must be joking. Worse still, you have no idea what you're talking about and act as if you do. Unfortunately, this kind of attitude/ behaviour has repercussions that go far beyond sport and can even be said to be dangerous in some circumstances.

Oh, but don't trust me on this one -- after all these forums are just about headphones & related gear -- but do yourself a favour and please read articles from newspapers (on the Internet or otherwise) and find out what really happened.

Don't act all holier than thou on me. I don't have to trust you or the internet sources. I'm trusting what I saw. I think that is more than enough. 
rolleyes.gif
 Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That is mine and if you don't agree with it fine. Don't tell me to go read an internet article where it is just someone else's opinion.

Edit: And you criticize others for being a brick wall? After reading your more recent comments, I must say that you are as hardheaded as the rest of them/us heh.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #465 of 495
Howard Webb made one or two mistakes last night, that's about it for me.  If anything, I think there should have been a few more yellows and Holland probably deserved another one or two red cards and how Van Bommel didn't go in about half of the matches he played is beyond me.

Webb missed the corner and a "possible" foul on the edge of the area, which wasn't helped by the amount of diving that's gone on throughout the tournament, but Spain scored a good goal, that was that and neither of the mistakes really contributed to some bad defending, leaving Iniesta with too much room in the box at such a crucial time.

I don't think Holland or Spain really shone throughout the tournament, although the Brazil and Germany performances were very good.

In the end, Spain won and deserved it on the night for me, so congrats to them and I just hope I see England win the thing again before I go to the great penalty area in the sky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back